“Accomodation a let down” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Lake Marina

You added Pine Lake Marina to your Saves list
Pine Lake Marina
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Pine Lake Marina Resort | N2 (Swartvlei exit), Sedgefield, Knysna 6573, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Sedgefield B&B and Inns
cape town
“Accomodation a let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed at Pine Lake Marina during Jan 2012 after hearing about the place for many years. The kids were kept busy but the giraffe 4 sleeper unit was horrible. My son and I joked and called it "compact" meaning extremely cramped. The bathroom was disgusting with a toilet that had your legs up against the bath; a cracked basin and a bath in dire need of a do over. The grout was non existent in places and filthy everywhere else. It was definitely a bath with slops on place.

It seems that the resort needs a make-over as well for the price asked. Motorboats; pedal boats were constantly in need of repairs. We paid for my son and nephew to try water skiing and after waiting nearly an hour after our appointment time; they set off. My 10 year old son was then told in the middle of the lake that the guy had not packed the right ski size for him so only my nephew could go out. Of course no other bookings available before we left and no staff member cared that he had missed out.

While we were there the sewerage plant was also giving problems (yet another maintenance issue) which resulted in our evening meal being spoilt every night by the over powering stench. No chats around the fire for us as the stench drove us inside. Again the attitude by staff was that we should "suck it up".

The resort has an excellent marketing team with a brochure that truly defies reality; dont be fooled.

Room Tip: Avoid the a bedroom 4 sleeper giraffes
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I suppose that if you come from Outer Mongolia, and you have never ever stayed in anything but a leather igloo, then you well find Pine Lake Marina nice. Otherwise, avoid the place at all costs. I must say that the unit we stayed in was very spacious, but that where the positive aspects stop. It was dirty, if not filthy. Windows have not been cleaned in years, the bathroom was disgusting and we found pubic hairs in the bed, on the windows and in the shower. Also, the place is overrun with ants, attacking any food placed in the kitchen cupboards. As for the resort, it is set out in the format similar to that of an over populated concentration camp. Management has taken the opportunity to cram as many units as possible into a square kilometre of mother earth, with the end result of you getting to know your neighbour pretty well, whether you like it or not! Facilities are a joke as well, especially the so called “marina”. The boats and canoes should all be condemned and most of the time we were there, they were under repairs. Therefore, we never got onto the water. We stayed there over the festive season and the resort experienced continual power and water cuts. This is unacceptable! We paid a premium for our dirty, basic chalet with no view or vistas. Luxury accommodation a few kilometres away with breath-taking sea views is more reasonable. Also, the place is not serviced. You have to pay extra per day for this! We did get it serviced, but this did not help the dirt problem. Towels were not changed for days and the maid actually left her filthy cleaning cloths in our bath. Pine Lake Marina has a very good marketing team. This is evident in their excellent web site and brochures produced, which is not evident in what is actually available at this resort. Brochures show pictures of beautiful beaches (the place is nowhere near the beach), stunning pool areas (which is not the reality) and even a leopard in a tree. Good grief, no leopards have been seen in the area for over 100 years! This is downright false advertising. Avoid Pine Lake Marina at all costs!! We left a few days early when we had already paid in full. That is how bad it is!

Room Tip: Avoid Pine Lake Marina. Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

My family and I went to Pine Lake Marina with two other friends and stayed for seven days. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who welcomed us. We were shown where our chalet was and we settled in to a comfortable home from home. The rooms were small but adequate.... No aircon though, so hot, but with the windows open it was fine.
Once you at Pine Lake, there is an abundance og things to do and if you have children its a paradise for them.
We were close to the entrance and the entertainment area called the Pine Piazza which housed the gaming. Area(pool, darts, table tennis etc.) A well stocked shop, a very nice gym and a well stocked bar. Outside the were jacuzzis, a pool (heated) and ample sun tanning area.
The staff here was fantastic, especially the bar ladies.
There was also a beauty salon and laundry there as well.
Now when we went to the lake there was a lot of things to do namely boating of all type which most of it was free, and another big cold water pool to laze in.
All in all it was a trip to remember and I have booked for Easter and Christmas again, so that gives you an idea of what type of place this is. As a tour guide who specializes in this area of the Garden Route, I get to see and stay at many hotels and resorts, and this one impressed me.
Big thumbs up for Pine Lake Marina. Booking is a must.

• Stayed December 2011
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This was a great place to just to chill out and take a step back. They have plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained from tennis, swimming pools, boating, board games, gym etc etc. they are also well place close to other towns and the Sedgefield famers market is also worth a visit while your staying the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Before any foundations were laid, before it was even up and running for business, my parents invested in Pine Lake Marina time share resort. This was just after my sister and i went off to pre-school. Ever since the resort was completed our family have made Pine Lake Marina our annual family holiday destination. I am now 27 years old and we still have our hearts settled in Pine Lake.

Pine Lake is a place where I and my family made friends and had the opportunity to bless others with a vacation that people in the Caribbean only dream of. We always had fun with the many activities to choose from accommodating all the ages. we were rejuvenated every visit and now have many lasting memories. When things got rough in the home, being at Pine Lake always seemed to redeem us from many sorrows as it united us and helped us to once again realize what is important in life - faith at home and love for all people.

Having said that, my sister chose to honeymoon at Pine Lake Marina four years ago and in exactly 11days time (11/11/2011), I will be there for my honeymoon. There is truly no other place I would rather go to than Pine Lake to enjoy the first fruits of marriage.
I had the option of going to Thailand but declined the opportunity to go as Pine Lake was inevitably where I was going to be heading.

There are really many other countless reasons as to why Pine Lake Marina is my preferred holiday destination that it would be impossible to share them all. However, I can confidently say that anyone who is thinking of staying at Pine Lake Marina would not be disappointed. We have never been let down at all.

So our family has just recently extended our time share with Pine Lake Marina for another 10 years and will continue to do so especially for me and my sister's children in the future days to come, because I would never want them to miss out on what I was blessed with!

If I had things my way, I would even work on the resort full-time - without thinking twice!!!

In sharing what I love about Pine Lake, I do hope that my review finds a place at the top so that if I were to win, I could get my parents on a surprise romantic weekend get-away at their favorite holiday spot. This again would be a great blessing for them.

Jarrod Moore
jarrodsm@yahoo.com

Room Tip: All rooms are good. If your room is not good, then you probably not staying at Pine Lake Marina. Lea...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Port Elizabeth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have been going to Pine Lake since it's early beginnings. Through all the years nothing has changed. It remains the ideal family holiday destination. It has excellent security and as parents we can relax knowing full well that no matter where our children are on the resort they are safe. It has maintained it's serenity and the facilities are world class. It is one place where you arrive unpack and relax until it is time to go home again. Young and old are catered for with plenty to do. It has a variety of amenities which are all family orientated, tennis, squash, bicycles, trampolines, putt-putt, motor boats, peddle boats, canoes, rowing boats, childrens playground, swimming pools, sauna, indoor games room, a fully equipped gym, a licensed restaurant, a comprehensively stocked shop to name but a few. It has a magnificent view over the swartvlei which is very tranquil in the evening setting sun while you sip on a nice relaxing sundowner. The accomodation is excellent. It is heaven on earth and what makes it all the more special are the fabulous warm and friendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble.

Room Tip: They are all self catering units but for the best view then the luxury cabanas on the waterfront are...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

When I hear, read or think of Sedgefield, I get a warm fuzzy feeling! It is like home away from home. We have had 2 holidays at Sedgefield, the most recent one being this past August 2011, with my husband and 2 year old son. I have never seen my little boy have so much fun and enjoy himself so much-he is such a bright boy and loves to explore and experience new things and when I remember our times from Sedgefield on that holiday, I can only smile from the happy memories.

When I was a child, I went on holidays to many resorts with my parents and not one compares to Pine Lake Marina and the way that it caters for children. I even felt like a child on my holiday there with my boy. My husband also was able to relax from the stresses of his business-we felt like new people on our return home!

Every day was like a present waiting to be opened, so much to do, so little time. My little boys eyes sparkled during our stay at Pine Lake and he wanted to get out of our chalet every morning and get going-the games room, the toddlers playroom, the trampolines, parks, dam, he even learnt how to play putt-putt which he still calls rugby haha!If every day could've been spent like it was at Pine Lake, my boy would be a happy chappy!Parents can take their children on holiday and not have to worry about how to keep them entertained, everything is at Pine Lake.

The only problem is, is that time goes by way to quickly!

Love the resort and would love to be able to take my mom there soon, she helps me look after him while I have to work. She looks after him even though she suffers from Rheumatoid arthritis and Fybromyalgia and she is an absolute gem to my boy and I and he is very lucky to have a granny like her! The best! and to be able to treat her to a relaxing time at Pine Lake would be the greatest gift! We will see you soon Pine Lake Marina!

Room Tip: The Cottages for 2-4 people are wonderful for families with toddlers as there are gardens right outs...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pine Lake Marina? Share your experiences!