“Super restaurant for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Diner, German, Café, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Super restaurant for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We are staying in Robertson and were looking for somewhere to have a light lunch. Found the Grand Cafe in a local restaurant guide and chose it for its convenient location. The restaurant is lovely, small but full of character. Our service was attentive and the staff very friendly. We always prefer a venue with a mall menu. Experience has shown us that these places usually have better quality food and the kitchen stick to what they are good it. At the Grand Cafe we were not disappointed. My husband had French toast which was highly rated and I had the honey and mustard chicken wrap, which was delicious. We will certainly be recommending it to friends who pass through Robertson in future

Visited May 2013
simonber123, Owner at Grand Cafe Robertson, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for you kind words its always great to read that guests enjoyed there meal
We strive to use only the freshest produce and I'm sure you will agree that it lands up as great dishes being served
Hope to see you again at the cafe

Cape Town
“Fine cafe for a quick bite and a coffee on your stopover...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were on our way to Mossel Bay and stopped in Robertson for a bite and legstretch. As good Trip Advisor people we checked the place and went to the No.1 cafe on the list.
We were not disappointed.
This is a cafe not a full blown restaurant so we must temper our reviews on that basis.
We both had the veggie wrap and a coffee and it was excellent. Freshly cooked, tasty and with good texture. The service was prompt and friendly and it's clear that they've tried to elevate the art of the cafe upwards.
It's a small menu, for sure, but none the worse for that. If you're passing through it does the job admirably. If you're a local eating there regularly then you might have a different opinion.
It's 5 stars all round but I'll give it just a 4 for value...a few Rand cheaper wouldn't have hurt.
It's got good safe off street parking out back and nice clean toilets.
Why stop at a chain outlet when independents do it so much better.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
simonber123, Owner at Grand Cafe Robertson, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review
We have a belief to rather keep the menu small and be able to deliver the best tasting food
We strive to serve only the best produce sourced locally I think we have been able to achieve this
I happy to see that you enjoyed your meal and hope you will stop at the cafe again

“lovely breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

we wer coming back from wedding in montagu and this was almost the only place open on an Sunday. What a gem!!! I had the french toast. Home baked bread with a twist. ?ovely coffeeas well. Very good service.

Visited April 2013
I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your meal we like to serve all our food witha bit of a twist
I hope to see you agin when you in the area

Kind Regards
United States
“Prawn Wrap Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stop in Robertson quite often and used to eat in this little Cafe when it was owned by a different couple. Food was always good but not great. Decided to give it another try and we were absolutely surprised at the delicious sandwich I had. My husbands Chicken Pie was very good (lots of chicken and mushrooms) but not nearly as unique as the Prawn wrap. First off... I am not a "wrap" person but the ingredient list just sounded good. I expected a cold dish and was surprised that it was warmed just sufficiently to be recognized as a warm sandwich and bring out the flavour of the prawns but not so much as to wilt the rocket and greens inside. They remained crisp and that as well as the cucumber added a nice crunch. Quite a trick! I agree that many of the lunch stops offer very similar menu items but I would absolutely return for this dish alone.
Service was good and the food was out quicker than in most places. Nicely plated and pleasing to the eye as well as the palate. Padstal.com (a local online resource in Montagu) has a nice selection in one corner of the shop so if a person wants to order something online, they can actually see it as well as buy it. Nice touch!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
simonber123, Owner at Grand Cafe Robertson, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind words we are happy to read that you enjoyed your meal at the cafe
We pride ourselves on only using the freshest product that is avaliable to us and I feel this can be seen in the quality of our food

We hope to see you again at our cafe

Simon & Wendy
Wellington, South Africa
“Very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Popped in for lunch on our way through town after noticing that they were rated no 1 by tripadvisor . We found the menu very limited especially as we had kids with us. I had the double burger, which was a great disappointment, the burger patty was tasteless, the mushroom sauce tasted like packet soup and the chips were cold, oil saturated shop bought variety. The kids all had the chicken pie, which was mostly pastry with a tiny ammount of filling, once again this lacked seasoning.Our waiter seemed to be good, but he seemed to be the only one on duty. What I shudder to think is that if this is no 1 rated in Robertson, I'd hate to try the rest this lovely town had to offer.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Good Day
It is never nice to read that a guest did not enjoy there meal.
I do however find this review a little off putting as it is so inconsistent with all the other reviews that have been written on this site. Our chicken pie is served between 2 thin sheets of puff pastry as can be seen in the pictures that are on this site. The very next review comments on how good the pie is and so do several other reviews. I very sorry to read that you feel our sauce was from a packet as I can assure you all sauces are home made. In fact one of the previous reviews actually wants us to bottle the sauce. I’m also shocked to read that the chips where oily and cold, we do not have a deep fryer in the kitchen each portion is done in their own fresh oil in a small pot. We are also always happy to go off the menu if guests require other dishes and this is always offered to families with kids. The latest trend in cafes is to keep the menu small to ensure only the best produce is used.
My last point if you are so unhappy with the meal why did you not bring it to our attention as we make a point of table checking every table that eats in the café, if you had brought these points to our attention then we could have sorted out any problems you where having.

I not sure that this will put your mind at ease but I’m confident in our product and quality and apologise if we did not met your standards