“Heavenly Hideaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 59 Hout Bay B&B and Inns
Mauritius
“Heavenly Hideaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I chose the Hout Bay Hideway for a 3 week holiday on my own. Martin picked me up at the airport. I felt "at home" the second I walked through their front door. Sue was sitting in the lounge reading her book - she welcomed me with a smile and I knew I had chosen the right place for my much needed break.
I had the Bay View Suite - a spacious room with a large deck, a comfortable bed, two armchairs, a desk, WIFI connection (for my laptop), a beautiful bathroom that opens onto the back deck, a complete kitchenette hidden discretely behind 2 doors (microwave, bar fridge, sink, coffee plunger and kettle)...
I chose the breakfast option - my tray (prepared with care and attention), meusli, croissant, fresh fruit, coffee was left outside my door every morning and it was a pleasure to have such a delicious meal sitting in front of the view of Hout Bay first thing in the morning.
I rented a car and went for a couple of drives, but the rest of the time, I spent reading, watching the Games, admiring the views from my room and resting. The setting is peaceful and relaxing.
The Hout Bay Hideaway is a real Hideaway and a home away from home with all the perks !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed for 9 nights and had a wonderful time. The room was large and very comfortable with a fantastic verandah on which our breakfast was served to us. Breakfast was so good that we were not able to eat anything during the day! Martin and Sue are excellent hosts and made us feel totally at home. Their wealth of knowledge of the Cape Town area was enormously helpful in making our stay enjoyable. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: They are all of a good size and include comfortable chairs and seating on the verandahs. Check the w...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and had an extremely relaxing time after the hustle of Camps Bay. The owners Sue & Martin are lovely; very welcoming, extremely hospitable and full of useful tips for what to do in Cape Town and the surrounding areas. The rooms are of a high quality and spacious, we had a wonderful view over the Bay/ocean and spent a day relaxing in the garden around the pool which has an abundance of vegetation including an outdoor bath for the more adventurous! Breakfasts in the morning were delivered to our balcony and were superb. Highly recommended and would certainly return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Wonderful place with fantastic rooms, balcony's with ocean and garden views, great breakfasts, good location and value, and lovely helpful owners.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have stayed with Sue and Martin three time -- twice with family and once for work. Walking in the door is like walking in your own home, if you live in heaven. Sue and Martin and the most wonderful people in the world. They love living in Hout Bay and they love to share their joy with all their guests. It really feels like you are staying with friends -- well, I now count Sue and Martin as friends. Sue makes a mean gin and tonic, just in case you need a gin fix.

The rooms are all lovely and decorated with love and care. Each room on the top floor has a sea view, while the front and back also have mountain views. I've stayed in each room and love them all. There's free wi-fii and under-floor heating. It's just a short 20 min drive to Cape Town city/waterfront. The Constantia wineries are fabulous and ofter overlooked by overseas guests.

Sue whips up a fabulous breakfast each morning. I find myself writing her after each stay to find out where she buys the coffee, the cheese, the muesli, etc, etc. Eggs to order, and I cannot say enough about the croissants she bakes EVERY MORNING! The breakfast angel (Martin) delivers it to your balcony at whatever time you want. You can then sit in the Turkish cotton robes and sip your coffee and feast on Sue's masterful breakfast creation while you stare at the sea. I want to live here.

My wife and I love to stay at Hout Bay hideaway and drive each morning to Llandudno for a walk/run on the secluded beach. I make my coffee in the kitchenette in the room and take it to the beach in my travel mug. I sit and drink coffee and watch the sunrise as my wife actually exercises.

Sue and Martin have created a wonderful and lovely holiday home for anyone who is looking to relax, chill, and have a custom-made holiday. We'll go back just to stay at Hout Bay Hideaway.

Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: The front room has the most gorgeous art deco antiques and has a sea/mountain view. The middle room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We had a really wonderful time at the Hout Bay Hideaway with Sue and Martin (the owners).
We got a very good breakfast each morning with fresh friuts, croissants and health bread, scrambled eggs, etc - seems to be created with love! Our room on the back of the house had a big terrace round the room and close to the pool in the garden. Once we took a bath in the garden in the bathtub with hot water - it was a great feeling in the dark with all the little light in the trees and in the pool! The view to the ocean you have from all rooms in the top so that you can also see the sunrise when the sky is totally red. Sue and Martin are nice and lovely people which were always helpful, given good tips for our daily trips! We will come back to visit them again on our next trip to SA! We felt like beeing at home

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Randburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

What a wonderful atmosphere and setting. I was put in the Bay View room - and so comfortable. The view from the deck is beautiful and a lovely place to sit and have the breakfast which is brought up to the room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room spacious. Martin and Sue made one feel welcome the moment you entered the house. They also had good and honest advice on where to go for a good meal, etc. The area is quiet and the garden peaceful. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Bay view room has a wonderful view of Hout Bay
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Hout Bay Hideaway? Share your experiences!