We went to this B&B end December 2011. I know it's already some months ago, but still... every objective review is a good one.
The environment, sights, garden... are beautiful. The establishment is also not directly located at the main road, so it's so peacefull. Sights are overwhelming, but let's be honest... whereever you stay in Franschhoek, sights are probably always top!
Our room was spacious. Bed was good. Usefull appliances as a dryer, water boiler were present. Also a safe was available (with key, not electronic). The bathroom was again spacious, even very spacious. It was clean, but i advise the owners to invest in the next years as they start to become 'old'. Some cracks, color differences... you can imagine what i mean. Nevertheless no real complaints. If we have to complain about something, then it is the fact that we couldn't find any dustbin in the room to throw papers etc. Maybe we overlooked or it dissappeared for some reason.
Friendly staff. If you ask for help, they try to help you. I can't say the staff is one that is 'jumping' for you. On the other hand, they do their best and what can you wish more. The owner seemed to us quite stressed and exactly that is what a guest doesn't want to see (even if she is stressed).
To be blunt, this was mediocre. From the 7 establishments we visited during our trip, this one was rated by us in the bottom zone. Service was quite slow, portions were medium, quality of food was not worth the price. We did miss a good cook. Also the choice was limited.
I find the establishment overrated when comparing it to others in the neighbourhood. Nevertheless it's a nice place. Would i go back? No... we are leaving in a couple months again to South Africa and will not visit Val d'Or. Better is available at the moment in hour opinion.
I hope they take decisions and pull the level back up a bit to be worth a 4 star accomodation. Currently 3 star for us
- Also Known As:
- Val d`Or Guest House Hotel Franschhoek
- Val d`Or Guest House Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the foothills of the Western Cape's magnificent Franschhoek mountains, is a boutique Guest House, Val d'Or Estate. Minutes from the centre of the Cape's culinary capital, lies Val d'Or where the welcome is warm, the tranquility tangible and the ambiance geared to your comfort. Val d'Or Guest House is one of Franschhoek's most luxurious places to stay, offering easy access to all the Winelands' many attractions and an idyllic country setting to shed city stress. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your Val d'Or Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.