“All that glitters isn't gold” 2 of 5 stars

Three Cities Le Franschhoek Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Minor Road 16, Franschhoek 7690, South Africa   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Franschhoek
Mosman, New South Wales, Australia
“All that glitters isn't gold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We only had one nigh at Le Franschhoek Hotel and Spa and upon arrival were thrilled with it's appearance and ambience . Nestled in the foothills of the Franschhoek mountains the location is beautiful as is the thatched hotel. Unfortunately for us our experience was very much let down by the service and the policy of the hotel. It is situated 3 to 4 kms out of the town and has no courtesy service to or from the town. On our arrival we had to request someone to deal with our luggage. The reception staff were surly and didn't provide any welcome.

In the room which was first class there were a couple of other things that I wouldn't expect from a 5 star hotel. Wifi wasn't complimentary, tea and coffee in the room was charged for, there was no mini bar, and the TV couldn't be properly viewed due to the post of the bed.

At dinner in the fine dining restaurant we arrived at our booking time of 7pm and there wasn't anybody in the restaurant. We sat on a sofa for 15 minutes and then asked a passing maid if the restaurant was open...it was and 5 minutes later a waiter showed us to our table.

At breakfast a cafe latte has to be paid for as an extra and my wife complained having waited 30 minutes for an omelette to be delivered.

The hotel offers much but the service didn't meet the 5 stars the hotel has attracted. I fear that if this continues then stars will be deducted.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

As I was planning a 2 week dream vacation to SA, I had reservations about the hotel after reading Trip Advisor reviews. But my tour company (Green Life Africa) had confidence, and I had emailed Eban, the manager. He assured me and we kept our reservation. Wow. . . am I glad we did! Eban upgraded us to a 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom "house" overlooking the vineyards and mountains - just for my husband and I. It was two levels of luxurious living space that I could have lived in forever! I am sure the occupancy was low and thus allowed this upgrade, so I feel very lucky. The first night we ate in the sunroom restaurant because it was very late and we had driven from Hermanus. The food was OK, not great, but the waitress was a doll - her name was something like Kioso -I'm sure I'm not even close. The bed was heaven, and I awoke to roosters crowing. Coffee maker in the kitchen, consumed on our balcony -- heaven on earth! We spent the day in the small town of Franschhoek and loved every minute of it. Dinner at Reubans was excellent. We had to check out WAY too soon, at 7 a.m. next day to drive to Cape Town airport. Of the six places we stayed in during our vacation, this place was the one that I wished we could have stayed a night or two longer. It was so much better than I anticipated. One person I do remember was Richard who worked evenings. He showed us to our room, brough ice, etc. and was so wanting to please. The breakfast (included) was fabulous. Don't believe all the reviews, ask for an upgrade, and enjoy Franschhoek!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Three Cities Le Franschhoek Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Rosie816,

Thank you for a wonderful review!
It is guests like you that brings a smile to my face and reminds me why I enjoy being a hotelier.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will think back with fond memories and perhaps return in future.

Happy travels!
Eben
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Being a 5 star hotel and rather expensive at being one, it was not quite what I would have expected it to be. We stayed in the hotel section and not the chalets and it really felt quite like your run of the mill hotel. Nothing extraordinary, nothing special, just another hotel that managed to somehow get a 5 star rating. Anyhow, the gardens are very nice and I liked the swimming pool area, although there were lots of empty glasses and beer bottles standing around and no towels to be found.

Room Tip: Try the chalets rather than the main hotel building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The entrance as you drive in is quite grand and promising, with its large, wrought-iron gates. Our check-in was very smooth and the same person showed us to our Garden Suite.

The route there from Reception is down the stairs and through the foyer area of the Conference Rooms. These Conference rooms were not being used at the time and the foyer area was bare and bland, with leaves on the tiled floor, and a spare round table loitering awkwardly in the middle of no-where. From there, we walked outside and down some stairs and along a short path to the Garden Suites.

The Garden suites each have a spacious tiled outdoor patio area. Ours had 2 wicker chairs and a small table between them; unfortunately they were all pushed up against the wall, in a straight line, and did not look inviting - no small pot on the table, nor the chairs conversationally drawn inwards towards one another.

Our room was spacious and all the essentials were in place. The decor lacked a touch of pizazz - it is co-ordinated in the ubiquitous neutrals of the day, but uninspiring. The bathroom is serviceable but very basic. It was disappointing that the television channel options were only local stations - no DSTV at all - especially as the weather turned chilly and wet.

We went to the lounge area that overlooked the pool, and which backs onto the bar and a fireplace with couches facing the fire. There was no fire in the fireplace which I found astonishing. The service from the bar/restaurant was very slow - I think there was only one waitron in attendance, at least in our section.

My overall impression and conclusion thus far was that what was missing was someONE; a host to walk around and consider what the guests needed, aesthetically (decor touches; signs of life in the areas that act as thoroughfares; indications that the guests have been expected) and physically (fire in fireplace).

When we went for breakfast the next morning, I was very pleasantly surprised. The buffet setup was picture-worthy, and guests (myself included) did take photos. The service from the staff was not attentive - plates not cleared from the table - but the food was of a wide variety and was tasty. Overall, it felt that there had been thought given to the choices and presentation.

This was a surprise getaway from my husband, so he wouldn't tell me how much it cost, but he travels extensively overseas and observed that the price did not match the offering.

Room Tip: We were in Garden Suite no. 42; we prefer being out of the 'main house' of a hotel if there...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to the team at Le Franschhoek Hotek & Spa for a lovely long weekend.
It was great to see a wedding taking place too and the hotels beauty being utilsed to the max!

Our Food in DISH restaurant was superb and it was great o meet The Food & Beverage Manager -Sean

It was great to see that every morning we had either Francois or Sean to greet us and make us feel like royalty.

I would most certainly reccomend this piece of paradise as its not everywhere the staff greet you by name and have that 'personal touch'

Well done!

• Stayed March 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Started out by being placed in a room overlooking a delivery corridor with a leaky faucet and cracked full length mirror. Thankfully we were moved to a far nicer room, although for a 5 star hotel the decor needs a lot to be desired! Not a single flower greets one as you walk into the entrance, the paintings hang skew and a tattered carpet lines the staircase! 5 star, I think not! I havent even touched on the breakfast service: dirty tables, asking several times for place settings and serviettes, no breakfast order offer on day 2 and to round it all off a very insincere apology when stating our complaints!
We still managed to have a lovely weekend but this hotel is not by any means 5 star and nor should it be asking the prices it does!!

• Stayed March 2013
Charlottesville, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We would note the beauty of the village, the surrounding scenery, vineyards and mountains, and the hotel proper. Quite nice. The staff at the hotel was friendly, but seem undermanned, and perhaps not as well trained as one might expect from an aspiring 5 star hotel. We were there during a weekend wedding, and it seemed to overwhelm the place. The restaurant and service were unfortunately below par. Given other options, we could not unconditionally recommend to our others. (But honestly, after a glass of great Stellenbosch wine, all is forgiven...).

Room Tip: The Vineyard Suites (which are only rooms) have a view of the mountains and valley. Most of the oth...

Dear Oceantics
Thank you for sharing your review.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed our natural beauty and the friendliness of our staff. It is a pity that the restaurant and service did not meet your expectations and we will endeavour to do better.
I am glad that you enjoyed the local wine :)

Happy travels!
Eben Lassen

Been to Three Cities Le Franschhoek Hotel? Share your experiences!