“Tops” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avondrood Guest House

You added Avondrood Guest House to your Saves list
Avondrood Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   39 Huguenot Street | Stellenbosch area, Franschhoek 7690, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 58 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Minnesota
“Tops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This place is tops. I was pretty happy here. It's a good location and the owner has true passion for his business. The place is charming with a large courtyard and green space. It appeared to me as if many of the guests felt no need to leave the grounds--they were all greased up and laying about on the abundance of outdoor chaises. There is a large statue of an elephant covered with coffee beans, which, for the coffee-lover in me, combined two of my favorite things (coffee and African game) in one delightful work of art! My room was the "Old Village." The "Old Village" came with a sort of poetic description of days gone by. I think it might have been geared more for the elderly, as a younger person like me is always looking towards the future--! But that made little difference, as the room was extremely comfortable and charming.

The owner (whose name is..?) is extremely accommodating. He is a most gracious host. He made me an omelette when I wanted one, listened to my solo-traveler endless prattle as if what I were saying were actually interesting, and ran out to get peppermint schnapps when I decided I just HAD to try South Africa's famous shooter the "Springbok." Believe it or not, he actually did the shot with me!

The wine tram passes right by this establishment, and I even got front-door drop-off service from them. I was drunk and jumped in the pool fully clothed. I was given permission to do this by the owner, which I guess kinda negated the semi-rebellious nature of the act, but still--I was hot. And the point is--in his ever-hospitable way, he encouraged me. The pool was delicious and cool and even the greased-up elderly in the chaise lounge nearby did not curtail my enjoyment. And afterwards--the staff washed my clothes!

So, the best part of this place? All those comfy pillows. Six pillows! This is the only guesthouse in South Africa where I received, as a matter of course, six pillows--the standard is four. And I'm not talking "six pillows" when two of them are decorative little throw-pillows--I'm talking six, like, real pillows for sleeping. Two of the six are super-ginormous, so it's almost like you have eight pillows. It is possible, when you have that many pillows, to arrange yourself almost as if you are floating on air--one under the knee, another cushioning the thigh, another holding up the arm, etc--so the sleeping here is really good. Great, even (of course I always sleep well, my conscience being clean).

So, in conclusion--there is an espresso machine! That's not the conclusion, but I had to mention it, because it made me very happy. So, in conclusion, stay here. If you like to read at night, the bedside lamps are unfortunately very dim, but you are probably looking for a place to "make love" and I think the "Old Village" would do you right, the name aside. Afterwards, you can rest your tired body parts on the pillows and/or cool them down in the pool. It'll be great! Don't forget to do a Springbok shot--there's a nearly-full bottle of peppermint schnapps just waiting for you--!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We recently stayed at Avondrood guesthouse and I can not find a single fault with this lovely guesthouse. Everything was perfect from the moment we checked in to the minute Justin send us off in our taxi.

Avondrood's manager, Justin, is a wonderful host. He greeted us with a smile every morning and was always willing to go the extra mile. He was always on hand to suggest and book some great restaurants and suggested which wineries to visit.

The rooms are lovely, bright, spacious and has the most beautiful views! They are turned down every evening by one of the three lovely ladies that work at Avondrood.

Breakfast is included in the price and you will not be disappointed. We could choose from a variaty of cold meats, fresh fruit, yogurts and some amazing pastries (the cinnamon swirls are to die for and come from a local little bakery) and then you can also have a lovely cooked breakfast.

Honestly, I've stayed a few hotels and guesthouses but nothing comes close to Avondrood. I'm already planning my next trip to Franschhoek and I know where I'll be staying.

Thank you very much to Justin and his lovely little "crew" who made our stay a wonderful and truly memorable one!

Room Tip: Any room at Avondrood is great!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
avondroodguesthouse, Owner at Avondrood Guest House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Wow, this wonderful review has given all of us the boost that we need, going in to the season! Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we hope that we will have the opportunity of hosting you again next year!

Kind regards,

Justin & The Team
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This place is located just a block off the main street but once you are inside you feel like you are in the country. The garden area is very relaxing and well kept. Everyone was incredibly nice from the moment we arrived till we left. Justin was a perfect host. He setup reservations each night and was a great resource for what to see in Franschhoek as well as our next destination of Cape Town.

The rooms are big and very nice. It really was a perfect place to relax and enjoy some wine and food. The breakfast was perfect and I looked forward to it each morning. We cannot recommend this place enough!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Avondrood Guesthouse. It makes us proud to work here and to hear that our guests are enjoying every minute of their stay!

We hope that we can host you again someday!

Kind regards,

Justin
Ballito, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very comfortable , well appointed and personally managed luxury guest house set in the heart of the beatify village of Franschhoek. Surrounded by the most fantastic restaurants with in walking distance and wine estates close by. This is an absolute must.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My family and I recently stayed at the Avondrood Guest House and I was very impressed with Justin and his staff. Justin has perfected the art of making you feel like you are the only guests at his property. Additionally, he takes care of you with small touches that make all the difference. When we were there, it was unseasonably cold and wet, not only where there umbrellas in the room, but there was a fire in the lounge, and one in our room as well. We loved the decor and the food. A very good stay in a beautiful place!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This Guest House is delightful. We were personally greeted by Justin, the proprietor and taken through to a stunning lounge with open fireplace. There are fabulous manicured gardens with a pool. The bedrooms were comfortable and had a turn down service. The breakfast was very generous and good quality. Justin manages local bookings for you and is well versed in what to recommend. A fabulous choice and so close to the main village.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The moment we arrived at Avondrood, Justin, the owner of the property, was absolutely amazing to us. From helping us with our bags, to restaurant recommendations, to his advice on wine farms, he didn't miss a thing. The guest house is situated within walking distance to the small town with multiple dining options. The pool is refreshing with a small whirl pool on the side. Sitting on the lounge chairs under the trees was so relaxing. The room was nicely appointed with air conditioning, beautiful linens, African spa products, and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever experienced. After a great dinner in town, you can come back to the common area at the guest house and enjoy the fire and a night cap at the bar on your honor. This place was lovely, and we will definitely return again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avondrood Guest House? Share your experiences!