The hotel is located by the main road to Franschhoek, just at the outskirts of the town. The noise of the road didn't however seem to be noticeable once you are at the hotel, and the back view is of the very nice mountains surrounding the area. The location is a very good base to explore the nearby town, vineyards and restaurants, being just a short drive away.
We stayed for four nights, and had pre-booked to change rooms after the first night, from a standard de luxe room to a luxury room. I found the standard room was very nice, smaller than the luxury one which had the benefit of a seating area, but I would have happily stayed at the standard room for the whole period. Both rooms were decorated in classic country style, as one could expect from the name of the hotel anyway. The luxury room was slightly more private as it was situated in a building with other guest rooms, while the standard room was above the kitchen and main restaurant.
We had dinner only once at the hotel restaurant, Monneaux, and although the food was good, we found that we had some memorable meals in other restaurants in the area. Breakfasts in the hotel were excellent with great variety of pastries, cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruit and hot options too.
The hotel pool is very nice and relaxing, perfect for cooling down after a hot day's touring around.
The hotel staff was very polite and the overall service was very good. When it came to making restaurant reservations it seemed that they would never find us a space, but we decided to show up without a reservation to the restaurants we wanted, and always found a table. This is more a reflection to the fact that in the area people just don't show up for their bookings, and tables do become free last minute. I would recommend that the hotel advises its guests of this possibility, although admittedly it can be a high risk strategy. In our case we had 100% success though and managed to enjoy some of the best meals of our life.
One drawback of the hotel is the access to wi-fi. Firstly, it is not free, which nowadays seems to be an exception rather than the rule, and secondly it was extremely complicated to buy your wi-fi pass. We even got problems connecting back to the internet at a later stage even if we were still within our purchased window.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by enchanting vineyards and majestic mountains, this small Boutique hotel is set on the outskirts of the town of Franschhoek, in the Cape Winelands less than an hours drive from Cape Town. Offering a selection of standard, luxury, garden cottages and the exclusive villa suites. With a top rated award winning restaurant, guests can relax and enjoy the hospitality, laze at the pool, enjoy a massage or stroll on the world-renowned charming town of Franschhoek. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Despegar.com so you can book your Franschhoek Country House & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franschhoek Country House And Villas
- Franschhoek Country House & Villas Hotel Franschhoek
- Franschhoek Country Hotel
- Franschhoek Country Boutique Hotel