“The Best Hotel in the World” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Residence

You added La Residence to your Saves list
La Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Elandskloof Private Road | Elandskloof Farm, Franschhoek 7690, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Franschhoek
Washington, D.C.
“The Best Hotel in the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our four days at La Residence were the highlight of our South African vacation. This is the most stunning hotel, in the most stunning location one could find. The staff are excellent, very well trained and made us feel comfortable the entire stay. The hotel food is also excellent and we seldom wanted to leave the premises. Dinners are most enjoyable and well worth the reasonable expense. This hotel may appear to be expensive when reserving...but it is not. It is a great value given the location, premises, room quality and great service. We have traveled the world over and have not come across another hotel of this quality.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
MichelinMandy, Owner at La Residence, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear Zimt,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. Many thanks for supporting La Residence and The Royal Portfolio. We are so lucky to have the oppourtunity to showcase our property in Franschhoek. We must admit that dinners at La Residence are often over looked with all the big name restaurants in the town but we think they're very special and a must do experience while staying at the hotel. We are very happy you enjoyed your evening and your stay at La Residence and we thoroughly look forward to your return visit.
Best regards,
The La Residence Team

Franschhoek,
South Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The location, the decor the attentive staff, the wonderful food. Just cant say enough about what a great experience this was. We had the Blue Room and it was amazing! Our view of the pond with various birds coming and going was very special. We also spent a few hours at Le Petite Ferme and John's tour of his winery was quite special indeed. Hope to return to this part of the world one day.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I'd read all the reviews and all I can say is our expectations were EXCEEDED by La Residence and the amazing staff. We had room #3, which was an outside corner room that was simply beautiful--I will try to add photos later---but it's even better than it looks on line. The grounds are extraordinary, the main hall is amazing and the staff really made it even better. Not only did they anticipate our every need---but they went above and beyond in every aspect. We loved that they drove us into to town for dinner and picked us up--our room seems like it was cleaned constantly--laundry done regularly----wow. This is by far one of the nicest places we've ever stayed and I would NOT hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We loved room #3--a corner room--on the outside
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011 via mobile

Attention to detail in the interior design, service and friendly atmosphere is amongst the best we have experienced. Food was exceptional and altogether provided a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed February 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011 via mobile

We would endorse every word of the other reviews. We have stayed in hotels all over the world and this tops them all. I could not believe that any hotel (that seems the wrong word) could be faultless, as the rankings on here suggested, but it is. Well done to the owners and the fantastic staff team - an amazing achievement. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2011
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I agree with everything that has been written about La Residence. 5 stars are not enough to describe it - it is in a category all of its own!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

This review will probably be my most difficult one to write because I simply cannot come up with enough superlatives to describe what a world-class resort this is. Whilst there, we felt like we had been transported to another time and place. Every single thing about this place is incredible and will leave you speechless.

First, you are greeted by security who calls ahead to inform the hotel of your arrival. As you pull up to the entrance, you are greeted by Edward and some members of his team. Normally, this type of attention would make me feel a bit too fussed over, but for some reason, they just know how to make this level of attention work and seem natural. It truly felt like you were being greeted by a trusted friend who had welcomed you to their vacation home.

Edward took us to our rooms (my mother was in the Tang Suite, and I was in the Maharani Suite) and gave us a brief tour of the grounds. Bottom-line, the place is exquisite. Every detail has been attended to, and not a single thing can be found out of place. I credit Edward for the great job he has done organizing everything there. We also happened to be fortunate enough to have arrived at the same time the owner, Liz Biden, was there with some friends. Edward introduced us, and she was perfectly lovely. You can really see her passion in the design of La Residence, and it was a great experience being able to meet her! She even stopped by as we were having dinner later to say hello and see how everything was. I thought that was a pretty extraordinary gesture on her part.

I could wax poetic about the plush grounds for days. You really feel as though you are in some fantasy-land, from the palm trees, to the majestic hills and mountain range in the background, all set to the music of the swans swimming in the adjoining lake. I can understand now why people choose to celebrate special occasions here because I certainly could not imagine a more romantic or beautiful spot.

As for the interior of the hotel, this place is certainly not for minimalist design enthusiasts! You are surrounded by gold, crystal, lush fabrics, gorgeous artwork and various pieces of furniture. It sounds like a visual overload, but it all works and manages to be opulent yet tasteful. Despite the decidedly high-brow design scheme, you will truly feel at home here. I credit Liz, Edward and the rest of the team at La Residence for this because everyone is simply a treasure. Every need is anticipated. Each preference is noted and taken to heart. They knew me better than I know me! I loved the fact that there are so many varied lounging areas in the main building because each area is like a separate vignette with its own mood. When the sun was shining, the loungers by the pool or the lounge area facing the lake were fantastic. When it rained, being able to retreat in front of the fireplace was warming and relaxing.

I have not even begun to desribe the rooms! My mother's room (Tang Suite) was on the ground level and had an amazing view onto the hills, vineyards and mountains. Mine (Maharani Suite) was on the second level and had views both to the side (lake and mountains) and the back of the property (vineyards and mountains). As with the interiors of the main building of the hotel, both rooms had a very ecclectic mix of fabrics, furniture and artwork. Again, although the rooms have such a formal and well-decorated look, each piece of furniture was plush and comfortable. The bed was perfect! I cannot begin to explain how soothing the whole ambience was, from the color selection to the fragrance to the choice of furnishings. You felt like you were in a room at a trusted friend's beautiful and elegant vacation home.

As for food, you will definitely be pleasantly surprised. Franschhoek is known for its cuisine, and La Residence certainly meets and exceeds this reputation. In fact, we loved the food so much that we canceled our reservations at the Tasting Room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all beyond reproach, and the selections were appropriately varied, but not overwhelming. They pick fresh herbs, etc from the garden on site, and you can taste it in the food. Not a preservative in sight! As with their sister property in Hermanus (Birkenhead House), this was one of the few places where I actually took pictures of the food because it was so exquisite. Also, just to give you a sense of the service, I had asked the waiter if I could keep the menu to remember what we ate for dinner, and not only did he do that, he wrote the wine pairing for each course down on the menu so I would have that information as well. As with everything about this hotel, they are not just doing their job. They go well above and beyond what is necessary in order to transport you to another world.

I still fondly look at my pictures from my stay here at La Residence, and I cannot wait to go back. It was sad having to leave, but I knew I would return again as soon as I could!

• Stayed September 2010

Been to La Residence? Share your experiences!