“Nice pancakes, but overpriced & overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Vegan, Ice Cream
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Reading, United Kingdom
“Nice pancakes, but overpriced & overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were greeted warmly by the owner, who recognized we were Dutch and explained the menu to us in Dutch which was nice.
The interior, although basic, is quite nice and i liked the photo canvasses on the wall.

The pancakes (I had the lamb, my other half had the chicken livers) were nice, but not INCREDIBLE like many people here seem to suggest. My pancake lacked seasoning in my opinion and was luke warm, not warm/hot when served - the same for the other pancake.

The fruit juice was very nice and original (apple, carrot and beetroot). The warm chocolate milk i had afterwards, as recommended by the owner was nice because you could add the chocolate to a mug of milk so you could add chocolate to your own taste. A lovely concept, but I'm sorry to say it tasted average.

Although the people were very nice, and all in all was nice, this is what it is: pancakes for lunch. I seriously cannot comprehend that in a town like Franschhoek where you find amazing gourmet food places (including one that was included in the San Pellegrino World top 50) practically on every corner, a pancake house is rated as number one.
I think it has something to do with the fact that the owner asked every table twice to please write a review on Trip Advisor. I obviously understand the importance of TA to your business but going around asking everyone for a review, seemed a tad 'too much' for us, it also made it seem less genuine.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Poole, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I went to Franschhoek after a mission trip in Jo-burg. We wanted to relax and enjoying time together eating and experiencing yet another beautiful place. Walking down the main street there are dozens of places to eat. I love pancakes to so instantly drawn to this restaurant. My husband took a little persuading but agreed in the end. From the moment we sat down I felt relaxed and somewhat entertained by the flamboyant owner. The menu was fantastic and so I decided to try the lamb, not something I would usually do as I don't generally eat lamb. We sat outside, looking at the mountains, drinking coffee and were quickly served our food. It was delightful, beautiful, yummy and filling. I was very impressed with the blend of flavours in both mine and my husbands pancakes, not thrown together but carefully selected it seemed to maximise the experience. Good value for money and a lovely experience as well as an incredible meal. Incase you are wondering, mu husband loved it too!

Wonderful!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Amazing Pancakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Pancakes where very nice, great for breakfast or a mid day snack. they have both savoury and sweet options with interesting toppings

Visited September 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Well worth the drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Taking time off wine-tasting in Stellenbosch, we decided to find out what makes this pancake house the number one place to visit in Franschhoek. Entering into a shop with a nice quaint interior and the most amazing shop owner, we ordered a pancake and the belgian hot chocolate.
The pancakes were simply delicious and so fluffy you would never get sick of it. The hot chocolate was just divine and perfect given the slight rain pouring outside.
Would definitely visit again on my next trip to South Africa.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pretoria, South Africa
“Better than Harries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I am an experienced pancake eater :)
The weather was ideal pancake weather...any pancake eater will agree: it was a cool and overcast day with a slight drizzle. We decided to stop there because we were famished from driving and wine tasting and it offered a beautifully lit and simply furnished place to stop for a munch. We got more than we bargained for. The owner met us at the door and explained the menu. It was pricey, but he said that they allow sharing at no extra cost. We shared the lamb bredie (a type of casserole/stew) and the banana and homemade caramel. Best pancakes ever!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food