“Tasty, innovative combinations at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 62 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Conemporary South African cooking with a unique setting,excitment and open interactive kitchen located on the main road of Franschhoek.
Canberra, Australia
“Tasty, innovative combinations at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Ryan's Kitchen provided us with an extremely good meal. The presentations were amazing and matched by good distinctive flavours in, sometimes unusual, combinations that all worked very well. The food was delicious which is not always the case with such well presented food.

It is a well laid out restaurant with its open, but quiet kitchen, and well spaced tables. It was interesting to see the many components in a dish come together at the hands of Ryan and his team.

Service was friendly, helpful and efficient. Wine list was well priced and offered a good range of choices.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Essex
“Wow, what a gastronomic delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I opted for the five course tasting menu with wine pairings at Ryan's kitchen and what a treat it was. Both were excellent. We loved the open kitchen where we were able to watch our food being prepared in a calm and efficient manner. The presentation, quality and flavours were all first class and the selected wines worked perfectly with each dish. For a tasting menu, the portion sizes were probably a little on the large side but the food was just too good not to finish. Top food served in a relaxed, friendly and informal atmosphere. What's not to love?!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barcelona, Spain
“A symphony of flavors and textures on every plate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Truly amazing and unexpected dinner - we found each plate finely prepared with creativity, thought and a careful combination of flavors and textures. Curious "amuse bouche" to start us off (a micro "garden pail" with "dirt" made from crumbled mushroom), mass-less red apple palette cleansers between courses, ... Our dinners had strong hints of Indian spices that blended perfectly - fully flavor, no burn. Paired well with a very light "woodless" Pinot Noir. Open kitchen allowing all diners the "kitchen table" experience typically costing north of 1000GBP in London. Some techniques similar to those spearheaded by Ferran Adria - high tech cooking. Currently building/guesthouse where Ryan's is housed is under remodeling - do NOT let this deter you from booking and enjoying a unique meal.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
south africa
“Everything great, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My fiancé and I were spending the day and that night in Franschhoek as we had to do the tasting for our wedding menu at a nearby vineyard. I had booked Ryan's Kitchen for dinner that night. We both agreed we were so full from lunch that day, that we really wanted something light. The food at Ryan's Kitchen was a delicious adventure and I can't fault anything. The only thing is that you have to order at least two courses (main and dessert or starter and main) We would've ordered just main or a starter and dessert as we were still quite full from lunch. But there was no option, so this was a little disappointing. But the food and service were good and we were probably two meters away from the country style kitchen where we could watch the chefs at work.
Tip: make sure you're quite hungry before you go ;-)

Udon Thani, Thailand
“Absolutely Stunning and Fun Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

On the advice of a local from Franschhoek, I cancelled the dinner reservation I had at another local eatery and booked a table for myself at Ryan's Kitchen. This proved to be an excellent move, as I enjoyed one of the best meals that I've had in a long time!

The menu was small but everything looked tempting, so I decided to go with the five-course chef's "surprise" tasting menu with wine pairings. Again, this turned out to be an excellent decision. All of the courses were fabulous, and it was quite fun to see what would come out next. The wine pairings worked well; also great fun as I was treated to some varietals that I would never have dreamed of ever ordering (but wound up enjoying). Courses were ample and ran the gamut from seared kudu tartare, to pickled kingklip fish baked in a paper bag, to pasta with a peppercorn relish, to roasted Karoo lamb, to a rich chocolate souffle. Unlike many tasting menus, the dishes weren't "over-prepared" and tasted fantastic.

Service was friendly and efficient, and the venue -- with its signature open kitchen -- is cozy and welcoming.

While it certainly wasn't a cheap evening, I felt that the value for money was excellent.

On my last trip to Franschhoek (about a year ago) I dined at the much-feted and very famous "Tasting Room" and indulged in their signature 8-course tasting menu with wine pairings. In my opinion, Ryan's Kitchen was a FAR SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE in all aspects -- food, wine pairings, service, and venue.

When visiting Franschhoek, do yourself a favor and book at table at Ryan's Kitchen -- and go for the tasting menu!!

• Visited June 2014