“weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

Blueberry Hill Cottages
Middagkrans Road, Franschhoek 7690, South Africa   |
“weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Accommodation was very nice, clean and homely feel. I would recommend it for a nice weekend away. Good relaxing place with a nice fire place and braai area, hosts are very friendly and accommodating. The cottages have nice views of the valley and are very close to some nice wine farms and the town center.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had an exceptional weekend at Blueberry Hill Cottages. One of the most extraordinary views and settings in Franschhoek. Claire was a wonderful host and we felt thoroughly spoilt on every level. Its a quick 1.5km walk into the village of Franschhoek which gave us some much enjoyed exercise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Abuja, Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I booked this lovely place from the web without checking out any review. My kids are at school at Franshoek and I wanted to spend a few days in the town to get a feel of what it is.

Claire our host was most kind and attentive and was very helpful about things to do in the town.
By the nature of my job I live half my life in hotels and my one concern was that of cleanliness of both rooms and the surroundings, U must say I have yet to stay at a cleaner and neat place in all my travels in southern Africa, as the blueberry. Everything from the fully fitted kitchen to the bedrooms beddings and heaters were functional and to our taste. My two children aged 16 and 12 had a marvelous time and I enjoyed every minute of our stay. If tranquility and an astounding surrounding is what you like, then this is the place to be. Claire is one host that is a tribute to the hospitality industry in Franshoek! I will come back again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me on Thursday evening before the long weekend to say he'd booked a cottage in Franschhoek for the weekend. We had stayed at various other cottages and guesthouses on our previous visits, but nothing compares to the Blueberry Hill cottages.
Our very friendly hostess was there to meet us as we arrived and showed us to our room - Lavender cottage. It was most spacious - with 3 bedrooms - sleeping 5 in total, 2 full bathrooms, a large sitting room come dining room with enormous fireplace and huge windows that open out over the vineyards and the Franschhoek mountains. A huge kitchen has more than ample space to cook up a storm. The quaint patio out the front leads to a stunning, private garden set amongst the lavender. A Weber braai was also provided. The rooms are very carefully decorated with plush linens and everything is very clean and comfortable.
I must also add that it couldn't have been a more romantic setting for an engagement! We will certainly be booking this cottage every year for that same long weekend in April.

Room Tip: Ask for Lavender cottage - its the most private of all 4 cottages and has it's own private car p...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I've been working in South Africa and my husband came over to join me for Easter so we wanted to go somewhere really special. My heart was set on Franchoek but I wanted somewhere we could come and go as we pleased rather than a hotel.

I spoke to Claire on the phone who could not have been more helpful. She recommended Rose Cottage as it is the smaller of the cottages. We arrived on Easter Friday and were delighted to find that the farm was just as beautiful as the pictures suggested.

Claire helped us organise a taxi to take us to Haute Cabriere for dinner which was an incredible treat. We then used the same taxi firm (Jacqui) to book a wine trip with Mark on the Saturday and Sunday. So although the weather was wet and windy we still had a fantastic break.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Blueberry Hill and also say how delighted I was with all of Claire's assistance. Blueberry Cottages are a great place to explore Franchoek from.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Having studied the web site, photos, and checked Trip Advisor, we were thrilled when Clare offered us Olive Cottage for our stay. All correspondence and deposit payment related specifically to Olive cottage. We were excited by the large patio it had, and the spectacular straight -on view of the mountains as shown on Management's titled photos.

On the day we arrived, Claire, said casually that she had moved us to Lavender Cottage as the couple who were in Olive had decided to stay on. The booking terms made no provision for change of rooms booked, so we were flabbergasted at no apology, negotiation or prior warning. We tried to be reasonable and considered Lavender but knew it wasn't where we wanted to spend 3 days with a veranda no proper patio, and less of a view.

Within 15 minutes of our arrival we told Claire how unhappy we were at the change and her comment was ' There's nothing I can do' We were SO distressed and upset at her arrogance and ignorance of the law of contract, that we went out and found somewhere else to stay.

On our return, she had left; we locked the cottage and phoned her to tell her - only then did she realise the consequence of what she'd done- but it was too late- we were exhausted and upset and just wanted to get away. We said we'd send banking details for our deposit repayment, on our return home. She then ignored our 3 Emails requesting deposit re payment for not giving us what she and we had agreed to (Olive). Now - 2 weeks later, she tells us THEY WILL NOT REPAY OUR DEPOSIT.

It's only when the chips are down that you realise the type of people you're dealing with. What an appalling way to do business!

Room Tip: Once you have chosen / approved your cottage, insist they may not change it. Floor plan of both...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This place is stunning the views are wonderful, rose cottage was very comfortable and Claire the manager was very accommodating and kind towards our little family of four. Shame the pool wasnt in working order at the time we stayed there but otherwise a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blueberry Hill Cottages? Share your experiences!