“Brilliant venue in Franchhoek Winelands” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 62 restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Grande Provence Heritage Wine Estate wears her 300-year history with style. Nestled within the Franschhoek Valley in the Western Cape, surrounded by 47-acres of lush vines, this is heartland South African wine country at its finest. The Estate is home to Grande Provence’s award-winning wines and its passionate wine making team. Following harvest every year, carefully selected wines leave the Estate to compete in some of the world’s most prestigious competitions – the number and frequency of the awards bears testament to their success. A sophisticated destination in its own right, Grande Provence proudly presents superb cuisine at The Restaurant, fine wines at The Tasting Room, some of South Africa’s finest art at The Gallery & The Shop, receptions and boutique conferences at The Jonkershuis and 5-star accommodation at The Owner’s Cottage.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Brilliant venue in Franchhoek Winelands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Most beautifull dining room in stunning setting. We went on a rainy day in March and the fire made for a cosy afternoon. The food was amazing, beautifully presented, very different but amazing tastes. Excellent wines very friendly unpretentious service. All in all a great afternoon. Well worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
gaea, Guest Relations Manager at Grande Provence Estate Restaurant, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Stefan-12345

Thank you so much for you kind words and feedback!

I am very happy to you enjoyed your visit, and I sincerely hope that you will visit us again soon!

81% Recommend
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fine dining for foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Having eaten our way across the garden route, from Cape Town to Shamwari I feel we are in a good position to recommend this as one of the most enjoyable eating experience of our two week holiday to SA. The setting is beautiful, in a decadent barn-like space with adjoining gallery. The food was delicious and was only made all the better by the fact that we were not rushed and really enjoyed our meal as an entire evening. The set priced menu was excellent and very reasonably priced with great choices. I had butternut squash risotto to start which just melted, followed by delectable beef and a really enjoyable salted caramel popcorn and ice-cream dessert. The wine was delicious. I would highly recommend this as a special evening for couples or friends. It is not appropriate for children.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Liz B

Wow, what great feedback! Thank you very much for the time spent to write a review after your visit to Grande Provence Heritage Wine Estate.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Squash Risotto, the beef and the salted pop corn -ice cream dessert! Be assured that I will also forward your comments to the Chef and his Team.
Its also great to hear that you enjoyed the wine. We are so proud of our collection and range, and just released "The Grande Provence 2009" which is a true collector's item presented in a beautiful designer holder.

We are indeed child-friendly, and when we receive younger guests, we always provide special meals for them (which are perhaps more appreciated by their taste buds!) but also high chairs.

I really hope that you will visit us again in the future and we would be honored to welcome you back!

Safe Travels !

Newport, Rhode Island
“Beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our entire experience at Grand Provence. The outdoor patio is gorgeous with the sculptures and the gravel with the rustic tables looked 100% like something you'd find in Provence. We sat by the fire and had a glass of wine before we went in to eat.

The dining room is absolutely gorgeous. I'm always a sucker for navy and white and nailhead trim, though. Some reviews have said it's too formal but I didn't find that at all - in fact I loved the room so much I took pictures to use as inspiration for a future project!

We loved our meal and my husband would probably say it was his favorite while in the wine country.

Visited February 2013
Dear bimbels

I read your review twice. Not only was it very kind, but I really enjoyed reading it!

I am so happy to hear that you appreciated our setting, the décor and interior design. Naturally, people have different tastes when it comes to décor, but we are really proud of ours, and are so appreciative when receiving so many compliments on our Dining Room.

We are delighted that your visit lived up to your expectations, and we would love to have you and your husband dining with us again soon!

Guest Relations & Social Media
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

It was OK. But waiting nearly one hour between the starter and main course is not on. Tiny portions. No longer on my list of places to eat

Visited March 2013
Dear nikolaus65

Thank you for writing a review, and bringing the time you had to wait between courses - to my attention. Could you perhaps let me know which meals you had so that I can investigate the portion size? I will send you a direct message, with my personal email address.

To wait an hour between courses is long, and I would make sure to inform the Restaurant Manager. However, some guests really enjoy spending a good couple of hours in our restaurant, but its certainly vital to know when a guest wants the food courses to follow quicker.

We take all reviews very seriously - positive or negative - and be assured that yours would be discussed and proper action would be taken to keep up our highly set standard.

I sincerely hope that you will return so that we can alter your current impression! Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Brussels, Belgium
“A little bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A good meal and a nice enough setting, and yet something was missing. The atmosphere too subdued (it was late December and there were not that many other customers) ? The waiters professional but not that engaging ? Difficult to point out what it was, but the special night out we had hoped for meant the enjoyable time we spent remained under the level of our expectations.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear TravellingPalomar

Thank you for your valuable feedback and taking the time to write a public review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal, but also disappointed that you felt something was missing.

I only hope that we can alter your impression and that you would consider another visit to our beautiful estate so that we can WOW you!

Social Media & Online Marketing