“Mum and I” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kings Walden Garden Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tzaneen
Kings Walden Garden Manor
You added Kings Walden Garden Manor to your Saves list
Old Coach Road | Agatha, Tzaneen 0850, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Tzaneen B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Mum and I”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Over the hill, down old Coach road, left at the sign and right, straight after the turn.
This is the route I jogged the morning I discovered Kings.
It was a Sunday.
I specifically remember this because the whole world was still asleep at 8 o’clock and the hills around the Letsitele valley were misty eyed.
The name plate is discreetly planted next to a big old tree and as curiosity got the better of me, I ran down the dirt avenue. It went on for a while and then I started seeing agapanthus. The dirt changed to cobbles and I still couldn’t make out the entrance to the estate... Little did I know, I was already in it.
A wooden door opened up this very secret home and it’s garden, and as I passed through it I was in awe. Being a very keen gardener myself, I had such appreciation and admiration for the hard work and sweat that had probably gone into landscaping this beautiful piece of land. After returning later and having breakfast there I decided this was definitely where I would like to get married one day.

A few months later I booked a weekend and took Mum there.
Just her and I.
To catch up.
She’s always saying we never get enough time to talk.
She loved it.
Even asked for seconds on the Saturday-evening pudding.
We got slightly tipsy on the great wine and finally got round to having that chat we always postpone.

Perhaps it was the fresh mountain air, perhaps it was the garden and all the lady-figures that live there or perhaps it was just the time we spent together, but the weekend at Kings is one the weekends I’ll remember with Mum long after she’s passed on.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the garden
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Best, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Unfortunately we stayed only one night in this wonderful place. Tranquil, luxury, super service, more than delicious breakfast and dinner. The views and the garden! An amazing paradise in a most outstanding environment! We hope to come back someday and stay longer when we visit South Africa again.

Room Tip: We had a room with view on the garden and the swimmingpool. It was very spacious, clean, quiet and c...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
La Palma del Condado, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you like South Africa, nature, tranquility, luxery, fine cuisine, friendly people, super service, many details in every sence, gardens, most beautiful mountain views, nice climate, wonderful rooms and bathrooms AND at a very REASONABLE PRICE, than KINGS WALDEN is a must. Thank you so much Steven and Sophie Jacobs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oosterhout, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

The best, food was excelent, the rooms with fire place overlooking the garden where the best. 10 out off 10. Breakfast and dinner was to die for.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms overlooking the garden or swimming pool.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We made a detour to King's Walden, based on an article I had enjoyed in a gardening magazine many years ago. From the moment we entered the front courtyard, we were entranced; the iconic bleached petrified tree, the expanse of lawn all framing 'THAT VIEW! We were capably shown our accommodation by Derek . The rooms and facilities are elegant and clean. A meander round the garden was magical. The vistas created by both Creator and gardener are amazing. Nothing is too pruned - resulting in a glorious tumbling of azaleas, iboza etc etc. Then to dinner , which was a wonderful choice of elegant dishes - this after a lovely platter of snacks with pre-dinner drinks. Steven is a genial host as well as the chef- and it's a lovely touch that he comes to the table to describe all the dishes before one makes ones choice. Breakfast was equally splendid -those tiny croissants are wicked!! We would love to return someday!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ranst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We've chosen this lodge to unwind before we started our Safari in South Africa and what a beautiful place! Breathtaking garden and landscape views, very personal hospitality, superb rooms with a fireplace and what a chef! The food is a real indulgence on every level and if you're lucky to stay there you should definitely try the breakfast of the house!
Steven and Sophie you've done a very good job and thank you very much for the nice attention for my wife's birthday!
Top!

Best regards,
Ellen, Jan, Annemie, Jef.
(Belgium)

Room Tip: All rooms do have a stunning view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Very rarely I book extra nights although my business is done. Overhere I did, with great pleasure. The location is very much unique and the beautifull rooms, the garden and the history of the family and tree and surely the culinairy skills of chef/owner Steven, will make you stay longer than you planned. Fire place in the rooms, awesome views,
Surely I will be back and take my wife!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Kings Walden Garden Manor? Share your experiences!