“Much improved!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
“Much improved!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

This placed has changed hands a few times. The current owners are doing a good job. Scallops and the salad we ordered were good. One time service was very good. Another time the waitress was not on her toez but the manager pitched in. They used to have a nice patio. I hope they open it again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ocean View, New Jersey
“Favorite summer stop!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have never had a bad meal at the Bull and Bear. Staff is wonderful, love Karen, the bartender, she is a character but great fun and serves my husband his favorite beer before he even sits down. You can see the locals enjoy her very much. The Lobster Mac and Cheese is delicious and Margherita pizza is thin with fresh ingredients. Tuna bites and wing nuts are great appetizers.
We make it a point to stop every weekend we are down in Sea Isle...and do not have to deal with the crowds and miserable parking.
Go, you will not be disappointed :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“GOOD FOOD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Service could be better.
Food very good
Try the steak sandwich. expensive but worth it

Visited October 2011
Ocean View, New Jersey
“DISGUSTING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I am a local of the area and have been to the bull and bear a two times and on both occasions my husband and I were extremely disappointed. The first time we were there we just stopped to have a dinner..... not only was the food NOT fresh it was tasteless and you can tell it was definately not the catch of the day as it was advertised. The calamari was like eating a piece of rubber and the so-called fresh seared tuna not only had a freezer burnt taste but it was completely overcooked it was like they had opened a can of bumble bee and stuck it on the plate. When I told the waitress about the tuna the chef's response was because I waited to long to start eating it that the tuna had continued cooking itself at my table as it rested for the few seconds it took for me to pick up my fork?????? Whatever that is suppose to mean!!!!!!!! My husbands salad was a plate of wilted leaves and the dressing tasted as if it was watered down needless to say we left as hungry as we were when we came in!!!!!
A few weeks later my husband and I were meeting a few friends for drinks....Our friends decided they wanted to go to the bull and bear knowing that we had already eaten and were just going to have a few drinks we decided not to change their plans and join them and to try to give this local place another chance.....WHAT A MISTAKE...The fowl-mouthed bartender Karen was speaking as if I was at a truck stop..Very Disgusting for a woman of her age. The shocker of it all is that the Owner was parading around hearing all of it laughing at the whole thing....Definately not a place I would suggest to anyone with children or anyone trying to have a good meal.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Great place-great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

The Bull and Bear Tavern is a favorite stop for the last supper of our family vacation in New Jersey. We visit the place every year since 2006 and it never disappointed us.
I must say that it is a refreshing place where a lot of attention is given to the quality of the food, in contrast to other american restaurants where size of the plate matters most.
When I was there, I had the fish of the day, tuna captured during the day(did you guess?), the fisherman being the father of the cook (owner ??). The tuna was seared perfectly. What a delight! Wife and kid had a giant Kobe hamburger, way better than usual hamburger.
Over the years, Bull and Bear always exceeded our expectations and I recommend it for all visitors to the area. It is well worth the detour...

• Visited August 2011