“Never again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort
Save Saved
You added The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort to your Saves list
6101 Ocean Ave., Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
“Never again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Decided to try a different spot on the Jersey shore this year. I have never been at any resort with such miserable and inconsiderate help. Even after my son's locked up $400 bicycle was stolen from the hotel parking lot the hotel expressed no concerns neither did they offer to assist with any type of questioning of their very sketchy employees who were working the lot every day. I really find it hard to believe that there was someone randomly strolling Atlantic Avenue with a set of bolt cutters. If staying here I would strongly advise not leaving any valuables anywhere. Better yet, find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Alan S, General Manager at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
While I sympathize with the customer and understand his anguish; I take offense to the derogatory remarks about the staff. The individual staff members referred to have been on board with us for over 20 years. They are kind, honest and very hard working individuals. Although I was not on site that particular day, I did express my surprise and said I was sorry for his son's loss on the following day when I saw him in the parking garage.

Unfortunately, random bicycle theft does occur on the island, BUT, it is the first time in my recollection that it has occurred at the Crusader. There are several hundreds of tourists and beach goers that pass by our property (on Ocean Avenue) each day.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Would not recommend this motel for large groups. Management not very tolerant for family fun, games and laughter, we were told on numerous occasions by management that we could not gather together in large groups even though it was all family members. We will not be going back. Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Alan S, General Manager at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
This guest was with the reunion group that previously reviewed the Crusader resort. My response to that review was as follows:

"Yes while it is true that we have had the pleasure of hosting this particular family reunion a number of times over the past five seasons this year the number of rooms increased. The final room count was approximately 35% of the total rooms. The remaining 65% of the guest rooms were rented to non-group guests.

The group made individual reservations and each family was offered the option of a discounted package plan (room and breakfast for an all inclusive price). Room upgrades to oceanfront accommodations were also available at a discounted rate. Obviously the group would like to have a place to gather together so I arranged a complimentary hospitality room (which was set up with tables and chairs in the room as well as table and chairs outside of the room). The hospitality room was on the third floor away from the guests not associated with the reunion.

The pool area and sundeck are for all guests to enjoy in relative peace. The game in question was extremely annoying to non-group guests (one room checked out early because they equated the noise to gun shots - other guests thanked me when when I addressed the reunion gamers for a third time in two days). I did insist that they cease playing in that particular area. Alternative locations such as the beach or recreation field (both located directly across the street) or the parking garage were refused by the reunion gamers.

This guest review is obviously an exception to the normal reviews."
Mount Airy, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our family has our reunion every two years. We have always stayed at the Crusader. We booked our rooms months in advance for our reunion this year. We are a very large family and take up almost the whole hotel. We always let management know that there will be noise and games held outside. This year was no different. Management, however, decided to rent out the few rooms that were left to others. We can't blame them. Times are tough, however, they didn't inform the renters of our reunion and the amount of people we had.

So here is the problem .It was very annoying and not necessary. There is a large patio area that we use outside of the pool area, This is where we set up our corn hole tournament which consisted of four boards, Evidently management rented out the room closest to the game area. They complained of the noise of the games and management told us at 8;30 that we had to stop because people were leaving, It was only the couple in the room next to our game area. We don't know why they would rent out that room when there was others available that was no where near where we were.

This happened two nights in a row. I felt like we were being bullied by the manager and treated very unfairly. We paid for our time. No one else complained. In fact they said that they couldn't even hear us. We were only playing corn hole, There was no foul language. We had all ages playing young to old. We felt like it ruined our weekend with his constant watching us. People come from all over the country for our reunion. Lucky for us two years from now we found a new place just two doors down that is more than glad to have our business in this tough economy.

We will not be going back to the Crusader ever. The noise ordinance said 11 pm to 7am was quiet time. Management started on us @ 5;30 the second night. Never again. They have lost a huge amount of money..

Room Tip: If you want to have fun and sleep in nice beds and enjoy your vacation, I recommend you stay somepla...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Alan S, General Manager at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Yes, while it is true that we have had the pleasure of hosting this particular family reunion a number of times over the past five seasons this year the number of rooms increased. The final room count was approximately 35% of the total rooms. The remaining 65% of the guest rooms were rented to non-group guests.

The pool area and sundeck are for all guests to enjoy in relative peace. The game in question was extremely annoying to non-group guests (one room checked out early because they equated the noise to gun shots - other guests thanked me when when I addressed the reunion gamers for a third time in two days). I did insist that they cease playing in that particular area. Alternative locations such as the beach or recreation field (both located direcrtly accross the street) or the parking garage were refused by the reunion gamers.

This guest review is obviously an exception to the normal reviews.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have just stayed there for the third time in two years. The cleaning staff is very friendly and good at what they do. Never had an issue with room presentation. Staff was always friendly. Pool is very nice with plenty of lounge chairs. They have ping pong and shuffle board if you are so inclined. Right at the beach so that cannot be beat especially when they have a little faucet to get the sand off your feet so you do not have to track it to your room. they have a small coffee shop which is nice. In walking distance to the boadwalk. Also in walking distance to some restaraunts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My family and I have been staying here for almost 20 yrs. It is located right on the beach and is a great place to stay. It is very well maintained and all of the staff are friendly and helpfull. It has a resturant/coffee shop downstairs and a very nice size Heated pool. It is located only six blocks from the start of the boardwalk. If your looking for a relaxing place to stay but only a short walk to the boardwalk, this is the place for you..

Room Tip: request a beach/ocean view..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Always had a great time at the crusader until this year 2012 in aug.I should of known I was going to have a bad time as soon as I showed up the elevators where down I had to carry my stuff to the room. As I'm walking to the room I noticed that the room they where giving me was not the one I reserved.they told me that I would get ocean front and pool view with private balcony.guess what they stuck me in 115. I argued with them telling them that they made a mistake.Allan the manager asked me if I can put you up on a higher floor would that be better I said I would just want my room but for the time being sure he said go see the room and let me know if you like it I told the woman that ok ill move for now as soon as I said that Allan walks up and says imsorry can't give you that room.Really ,,, I asked allan that I would like to speak with the person in which I made the reservation. He said as soon as he comes in he would tell him.They never contacted me they never apologized when I left I felt used and treated unfairly .one month has gone by and I'm writing this review you know I'm pissed, and still no phone call. Oh by the way tell your lifeguard stop texting while he's watching the kids in the pool. Never again thanks Allan keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
While it is unfortunate that the elevator unexpectedly went out of service just days after it had routine service, I had staff standing by to assist all guests with luggage or whatever else they had to move from floor to floor.

I don't understand why this customer was surprised by his accommodations (a pool view efficiency suite which does offer an ocean view) . It was the same room type he reserved and occupied in 2010, in fact it was the room next to the one he reserved in 2010. In 2006 and 2009 he did reserve an ocean front suite.

The room types are clearly noted on all confirmations. The time to raise any question is upon reciept of the confirmation, not check in. I did ask the guest if he would be happier if I could move him one floor higher and he responded by asking which room. He was shown the alternative room while I tried to make the change. Unfortunately I was unable to manipulate reservations to accommodate him.

I made several sincere apologies to the guest and tried to ease the obvious tention between him and his guest. The person who took the reservation was off the first two days of the stay, and did attempt to call the room on at least three seperate occasions on the third and final day of the reservation.

We take great pride in our reservation proceedures. We always guarantee the type of accommodation and 99% of the time we can honor requests for particular locations or even room number. However, it is the responsibilty of the guest to review the confirmation (with particualr attention to dates, room type and rate) to be sure they are satisfied upon arrival.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am an avid beach goer, and after having gone through the horrible experience at the El Coronado in July, I was very pleasantly surprised at the Crusader. The staff at check-in was delightful, the room was immaculate (and nicely air conditioned!), the beds were extremely comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed our 4-day stay and will definitely return. Only one mishap and that was the elevator broke the night before we were checking out, but the front desk had two of their maintenance people show up at our third floor room to carry our luggage downstairs for us. Outstanding customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort? Share your experiences!