“I don't know where to start......” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Sparta, New Jersey
“I don't know where to start......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

There is so much that went wrong with our dining experience here, that it's hard to know where to start. Well, at the begining, I guess. I've been brining my family to Wildwood Crest for years, but have never been to this restaurant. Mostly because they 1.) Do not accept American Express and 2.) Do not offer alcoholic beverages...so it's BYOB. But, OK - willing to give it a try this year. I called on a Saturday at 3pm to reserve a table for six. Got, there - staff was confused about the reservation, and gave us a table made up for 10 - but, OK - at least we got a table. We brought our wine, and the hostess promptly provided us with an ice bucket & glasses. And that was it for 30 minutes. We had to hail a waiter to find out when anyone was going to take out order. The waiter was friendly and polite and did the best he could, but we definitely got the feeling like the waiter that had this "zone" had called in sick or something & it was just left to whoever was available to serve us.

So, service started out very poor. But we were optimistic about the rest of the night, given that our appetizers were pretty tasty: Crab cakes, Mozzarella Sticks & Mussles. They were very good. Though, they were served after our obligatory "dinner salads" (which was quite good), because "the kitchen was really backed up" (as if that's my problem?). The experience went downhill from there - 3 out of six of the entrees were terrible. One diner had Chicken Parmagian & thought it was good. Two had "gourmet hamburger" and also thought they were "pretty good" (though one got mushrooms when they specifically asked not too), two had "Fried Flounder" who described it as "frozen Costo fare", and one had "Sushi grade" rare tuna - which was anything but. Rare tuna is red, not "pinkish" and tasted bland & overcooked. We had already decided to get ice cream at another place near the Boardwalk that night for dinner, so were not interested in desert. But, even the check was a problem, it was confusing and we couldn't understand it - the waiter had to take it to management to decipher it & determine if we'd already been charged the obligatory 18% tip (for parties of 6 or more). What can I say - it was a disaster. Bad service, and poor food. When I asked my husband what to recommend about this restaurant & told him "I'd say - go with the crab cakes, because they were good"'' he said "My recommendation would be DON'T GO AT ALL but "if you are held at gunpoint and made to go - then go with the crabcakes".

Falls Church, Virginia
“Lake view breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place has old school charm! It's a throwback to a time of eggs any style with fried potatoes, juice and coffee! It's clean, reasonably priced and serves good food well made. Pancakes with fruit, pork roll and scrapple- Philly favorites! Get a seat by the window and enjoy the view!

Cranford, New Jersey, United States
“1st timer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went for breakfast for the 1st time after a recomendation. We loved it. Had the breakfast quesdilla and all dished passed the kid test. Will go back next time we go for sure

“Overpriced and underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Very pretty view of the lake, but as a previous reviewer said, no free refills of iced tea! The prices are very high for what you get, and the service was not great.

Middletown, New Jersey
“Beautiful Resturant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great resturant, outstanding food, and a beautiful view over the lake. After dinner, you can walk along the lake side.

Visited August 2012