“The Shore!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 74 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
New York City, New York
“The Shore!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

After quite a few years of absenteeism from Wildwood, we decided to visit the Crest again. Finding a motel in the Woods was rather tedious and disappointing, most reviews were awful. Fortunately for us, the Gondolier's reviews caught our interest, and the rest is history. The Motel is an outstanding; clean, comfortable, friendly, and on the beach. We needed a wheelchair accessible room, and the Gondolier has an elevator that made our stay in Wildwood Crest a pleasant experience. Some rooms are efficiencies, meaning they have a mini kitchen to take care of basic necessities. Families would be pleasantly surprised by this arrangement. Maintenance is a priority here. Everyday we saw the staff cleaning the pool and surrounding areas morning and night. The location is perfect. It's close to the famous Boardwalk, Atlantic City, Cape May, and Seafood restaurants. There is really no need to look further than the Gondolier to enjoy the Jersey Shore. This motel is part of a chain that is owned by a family that takes great pride in what they do.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hunterdon County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We thought highly enough of The Gondolier to have already booked a stay for next year. There are some things you should know before choosing this hotel. First, keep in mind that there are a large number of room types (can view layouts on their website) and for some types there is only one room like it and you will want to confirm where in the hotel it is. Also the rooms differ in style some more old fashioned and plain some brighter and more up to date. We had booked a 7 night stay and then shortly before arriving decided to add another day. Management was very accommodating though our room was booked. We stayed our first night in a different room and moved. The move was handled very well by management. Our new room was cleaned first and we were able to just shift. No hassle at all which was appreciated. All our interactions with management were very positive. Our first night was an oceanfront room. View was really great. Room was really small. It would not have suited us for more than one night. Even knowing it was small, I was still surprised at how small. But for a smaller group it might be the right room. There was a very tiny kitchen in the back bedroom. We did not even try to use it - just got take out. But it would have been a plus if there was at least a roll of paper towels. The only real issue we had with the room, and it may not be relevant for your family, was the door. Since the back room is one bed, it made sense for our kids to sleep in the front room by the door. However, we have small children, and one with autism. We felt insecure about the door. There was nothing to keep a kid from just turning the knob and walking out with none of us the wiser - not even a door chain to make a warning noise. So we blocked it with furniture and I slept out there with the kids. Our next room was really two rooms joined together - each with two beds. One of the rooms was huge and had a balcony with a pool view and the adjoining one was much smaller with no kitchen and a street view (sorry kids that one is yours!) I loved the roominess and brightness of the big room and its view and the small room was good for the kids. One small issue is that the doors between the rooms (which are at opposite ends of a small hallway) don't stay open well even with door stops and stuff piled in front so it was hard to make the place feel like one big suite. The only real downfall to the big room, and this could be big for some families, was the stove. There was a small two burner electric stove top. It was a little disappointing that it was so small but more than that, it was insufficient to boil water. Twice we tried to boil a pot of water and eventually gave up. It would not be a good room for anyone planning a lot of stovetop cooking. My brother also stayed at the Gondolier and his room (adjacent to the kids) had an amazing kitchen. Four real stove burners and even an oven, so if these things are important you should ask. Next time we will make more use of the grills. We didn't do so this time partially because they are located inside the pool area next to the diving board, which isn't convenient unless you are eating poolside. Speaking of the pool, the kids LOVED It. They really enjoyed the diving board and we enjoyed the fact they didn't shut the pool down early. I did not use the pool mainly because it was always full of happy kids. This hotel has an awesome location right on the beach and very close to the boardwalk. You really can't beat it. We stayed over July 4th and they had a catered party at the pool for the guests. They provided a buffet and a band and beer and wine for the guests. This is really a great touch and I'm told they do it for all holidays not just the 4th. I was a bit disappointed to find there was only one washer and dryer though. I always do laundry several times during a trip. Maids did a very good job. Keep in mind they aren't there all day just til they clean all the rooms, so don't expect to have your room cleaned late afternoon. There is an ice cream place in the hotel next door called Cone Crazy that the kids liked. It didn't open til 2pm though. You are also within easy walking distance of the cafe at The Adventurer (see my separate review) which I like a lot. While in our room the wifi was very spotty (my brother didn't have this problem in his room). So to sum up, there are some big pros Location, agreeable management, a good pool, some nice views, some nice rooms and a holiday party and a few smaller things we would like to change - better stove top, better door locks. But we've decided we will return again next year and are looking forward to it.

Room Tip: The rooms are so different in layout, style and location, you should really discuss your needs with...
Sayre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We just returned from a mini vacation in Wildwood Crest. First of all, I booked this trip four days before we arrived and I'm so glad that Adam and his family at the Gondolier were able to accommodate us! We have six children and they offered us a beautiful 2 room oceanfront efficiency! View was great and the motel is clean, well-kept. Staff extremely helpful with dining options, the boardwalk and beach were a short walk. My husband and I made sure to book the same suite (311!!) for next year when we checked out! 5 Stars to the Gondolier!

Room Tip: 310 and 311 are oceanfront efficiencies and suitable for larger families!
Menands, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I brought our kids for a mini vacay to Wildwood and we stayed here. The rooms were clean, had tv's in both the bedroom and front room and when I had a question about something, there was someone up to help immediately. The pool was great for the kids and had lots of seating and two grills for guest use.
The only thing that gave me pause was the fact that they use traditional keys for the rooms. I was happy to see that there was a lock on the interior of the door that did not use a key.

• Stayed July 2014
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

To anyone planning on a visit/vacation to Wildwood Crest....... book at the Gondolier Motel. Talk about a GEM !! Book it ! You will not be sorry. Where do I start? Friendly staff , Clean, reasonable price, great comps, The staff of the Gondolier made us feel like part of the family. We will be back. I booked for next year before I left. Gondolier.... We Thank you!

Room Tip: nothing bad to say. all rooms are good, location is good to all activities.
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Listen, the place is run well, the rooms are clean, you are right on the boardwalk, and the rooms seem updated with nice tiled floors. The beds are a little hard, but that no problem. My brother said the pull out bed was really uncomfortable. Otherwise, if you want to physically talk about the property it is in good shape. I had a parking pass but couldnt find parking one night, so had to wake up at 630 and searched for 20 minutes to find parking. I dont mind being up early anyway here, but it was still annoying.

The management is very nice.

When we booked, we warned it was a family motel, whatever that means. It seems in the crest if you dont have kids, you dont have nearly as much leverage when you do have a kid. We were lucky enough to be put next to a no kids group and well we enjoyed each others company. We met them at 5pm when we checked in and we hung out on our balcony, drinking, and talking, no music or anything. We even had corner rooms where we away from the families who like to call and complain about people enjoying their vacation. At about 930 pm on a Saturday night, the manager comes up to complain about our noise (talking and laughing mind you, no music or anything). I dont really blame the property owners, they see $$$$$ when they see families, so people without kids are basically looked at right away as a possible problem. I dont need to deal with this as a 35 yr old man i just wonder what society is coming to when you have families complaining about other families who came down, minus kids, to enjoy themselves and then force them to be like them ,quiet at 930. The ordinance is 11pm (regulations galore in wildwood crest). So my point is, people work all year, pay taxes, then take 2 days in the year to enjoy a vacation and you have to worry about this kind of crap. Welcome to 2014 in wildwood. It was not like this when i was a kid growing up. Bottom line if you dont have kids, be prepared to toe the line and be regulated like you are a second class citizen. Those who dont have kids have to deal with noise and annoyance of them ALL day, which doesnt bother me at all. Also, there is a serious police presence here and you feel like you are being babysat by the local police. You probably dont realize this if you are worrying about children all day, so be warned of this. Its a serious problem, the cops here are supposed to protect the people, yet they are looking to intimidate you and keep you in place. Wildwood crest is a lil police state in my opinon, they are all over the place. i have never been complained about in a hotel, so I doubt I will come back here.

Families enjoy and keep in mind there are people who dont have kids and want to enjoy themselves just like YOU WANT TO ENJOY YOURSELF.

Ill be back to wildwood crest, just dont know if it here

Charles Town, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I spent our 3rd year at the Gondolier and made reservations for next year before we left. We find it to be very clean and comfortable. Love the atmosphere and buses of seniors that arrive when we do. The owners will do anything to assist you and there is always someone tidying up inside and out. We were impressed that the owner, Adamo, came out to greet us upon arrival. I have been singing their praises since our first visit and will never stay anywhere else.

The Poops

Room Tip: There is one room on the 4th floor. Nab it if you can. The view is breathtaking, private balcony a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Gondolier Motel? Share your experiences!