“Good bang for the buck.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Coronado Resort

You added El Coronado Resort to your Saves list
El Coronado Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8501 Atlantic Ave., at East Preston Avenue, Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #48 of 73 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Nicholson, Pennsylvania
“Good bang for the buck.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I just finished my 4th stay there, and after doing a lot of online research, I've kept coming back to the El Coronado after being unable to find a better combination of price, location, and amenities. Previously I've stayed on the 6th floor, for the view, and disliking noise from overhead, but this time I had to request a room on a lower floor after the 1st night because either the AC compressor or air recirculators made such a loud throbbing noise it gave me a headache. The third floor room I moved to was fine. I heard another guest complaining about the same thing at the front desk so I know it wasn't just me. Hopefully this can be rectified by next year. My biggest complaint is the about the 12 hours a day the pool loudspeakers are playing a commercial top 40 radio station. Since most people have I-pods and other personal music devices these days I would recommend doing away with the poolside music entirely. Then it would be possible to read in peace or just sit on the balcony and enjoy the sounds of the surf. Other than that, my latest visit served its purpose of recharging my batteries and having fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a better view, but are noisier due to the pool crowds and music playing...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bruce R, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I will consider this information with my staff for next season.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I got married at the El Coronado! We were the first couple to use their newly built "Fiesta Room" as our reception room. We got married on the the beach, and had our reception in the Fiesta Room. The hotel made our wedding and weekend so memorable. From the staff to the managers - we want to thank them all. It was unbelievably perfect! We had 25 rooms rents, for a total of 80 guests - and everyone of them raved about how clean their rooms were, how friendly the staff was, and how amazing our wedding was! I couldn't be happier!! This is a definite place I'll stay again!

Room Tip: any room is a good one!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review...It was a pleasure hosting you and your family as well. Welcome to the El Coronado family!
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The entire exterior had been redone since our last visit many years ago. A big improvement.
The front desk was friendly and efficient. The restaurant was great for breakfast. We had one maintenance situation with the in-room safe, which was fixed within 10 minutes. The room and bathroom were clean; however, the carpet could use cleaning.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor or high.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The El. Coranado was a fantastic place to stay. The staff couldnt have been nicer and our room was so clean that we couldnt believe it was the last week of August. When i tell you our room was spotless I'm not kidding. The daily activities for the kids are great and the grills on the patio are
a nice bonus for when you want have a burger or steak with the family while looking at the ocean. Thanks to a great staff - we really enjoyed our trip.

• Stayed August 2012
Bruce R, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you! It is always our aim to provide clean and comfortable rooms for our valued guests. Your kind comments will be shared at my weekly Manager's Meeting. We look forward to hosting your next vacation in the Wildwoods!
Yorktown Heights, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

After much uncertainty as to whether or not we should take vacation this year, my husband and I decided to take 4 days off to go to our favorite place. This place was Wildwood New Jersey. For the past 30 years we have always stayed in The Bristol Plaza, however, the last couple of years the Bristol has been in need of a face lift so we decided to try El Coronado. Unfortunately our 3rd day there, we awoke to find our bikes stolen. Although they were locked with a bike lock the bike lock was broken and dangling from the bike rack. When we addressed the hotel manager the most he did for us was call the police. He otherwise could not care less. When we asked about some kind of compensation for our bikes we were told that they are not responsible for stolen objects. My bike was worth $450.00 and my husband's was worth $350.00. My bike was a gift a couple of years ago and we all use the bike, especially at the shore. I don't know when I will be able to get another bicycle, none the less two bikes. The manager was adamant about not reimbursing us anything since, "after all, they did not steal the bikes."They did not want to hear anything about reimbursement. They were cold, callous and uncaring. I was stunned. We discovered with the help of the police officer that the hotel had surveillance cameras everywhere except the dark corner of the underground parking lot where the bike rack was located. When we first arrived at the hotel we could not even find the rack for some time. After this incident we had one more day left but felt very unsafe for the remainder of our stay and did not even get an apologetic phone call from the manager. Our small vacation was totally ruined and not only will I not return to El Coronado, I will not return to WildWood.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Lizbeth:

I clearly understand your anger at having your bikes stolen. Had it happened to me I would be upset too. I also clearly understand your anger at me and my property because I could not compensate you for your stolen property. But I find it unfair that you feel this loss should be attributed to my hotel financially. I provide a bike rack for our guests as a courtesy and cannot be held financially responsible for the safeguard of your unprotected property. I explained this to you at the Front Desk "when I apologized to your husband" and the proper thing to do in this type of situation is to call the Police in an effect to possibly attain the return of your property or in using the Police Report to assist your claim on your homeowner's policy. I'm sorry you felt me uncaring but that is simply not true. I assisted your husband and the Police Officer as best I could. However, your demand that the hotel should compensate you for your loss is unreasonable. In any event, I do hope your bicycles are found and returned to you by our local police.

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Windsor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

After reading so many recent horrible reviews, we were afraid of what we were goiing to find here, having already made reservations months ago. We were pleasantly surprised to find the staff friendly, the room (Type AS) clean and spacious, and the beach nice and easily accessible. Don;'t believe everything you read, some travelers are just picky, angry and hard to please.

Room Tip: Type AS is great, has a "semi-private" sleeping area that really gives a sense of two sepq...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words and discriminating insight. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
North Cape May, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I am a local and I have previously went here to eat and it was delicious, unfourtnitaly I went today sept 1st with my boyfriend and his family and it was discusting. The server had filthy hands and the food was undercooked and homefries were mushy and undercooked, my boyfriends bacon had hair in it. Me and my boyfriends sister had the pork roll and cheese omelette, we both had to send back ours because they were undercooked and brownish orange juice was running out of our eggs. My boyfriend had the hungry man 6 and his eggs were scrambled and they were runny the same way. Our toast was cold and soggy and the server offered to make new but I did not want her touching my food. Also another girl who was with us had the cream chipped beef and she couldn't even eat it, it was also discusting. So the manager or owner came over and told me my food was soposed to be like that and it was the cheese. We showed her what was wrong and she started to give us attitude. She gave me a slight arguement then walked away. After she came back and said she was taking care of the bill. Which she should have. My boyfriends brother also went there last week and found it delicious too. Needless to say me my boyfriend his family or my friends will never be going back there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!