“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aqua Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Aqua Beach Resort
You added Aqua Beach Resort to your Saves list
5501 Ocean Ave., Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #43 of 74 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Pennsylvania
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Let me start by saying the Aqua Beach is initially very impressive. Our first room (I'll get to why there was a "first room" in just a second) was ocean-front and was beautiful. The first thing I noticed was that it smelled very clean. It didn't have that typical musty shore hotel smell. The room also seemed pristine. As a person who travels with Lysol spray and wipes, I didn't even feel the need to start off with my OCD routine of spraying down the bathroom and the remote controls, etc. I unpacked and my family and I went to dinner. It wasn't until we were ready to go to bed that we realized there were some unwelcomed *critters* in the beds. I'll just say they were NOT bedbugs, and easily remedied I'm sure, but still made us feel the need to swtich rooms none the less.

The staff was EXTREMELY accomodating. We were given a new room, no further questions asked (my husband found it a bit disconcerting just HOW easily they gave us a new room)...and we were upgraded to a suite, which was much larger but not an ocean-front, which was a little disappointing but none of us really minded.

The new room was immaculate. Again, no musty smells (even though the air conditioner was off and the room was warm when we entered) and not one critter to be found (and believe me, I looked). The thing is though, the initial experience with the first room tainted our whole experience. None of us slept well, we all seemed to have an unnecessary perpetual feeling of being itchy (believe me, I checked us head to toe multiple times). It's a shame that we didn't have that suite from the start otherwise this review would be 5 stars across the board but I have to be honest.

The rooftop cabana hammock area was just beautiful and perfect to enjoy the sunset. The hotel was steps from the beginning of the boardwalk. I'd like to say I'd stay there again but I don't think I could. And I don't know that I could recommend it either. I truly hope my experience was just an isolated incident.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Just visited the Aqua Beach and stayed in the affiliated Beachcrest Condos. What a great location, and the Aqua Beach facilities were fun for all. The kids loved the Rooftop hammock Cabana, and the use of towels, boogie boards, umbrella's and chairs is unheard of in Wildwood. The free internet use in the cafe and great smoothies were a treat each afternoon. The rooms are spacious, easily sleeping 8, and the view of the beach and the ocean from the balcony was perfect. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My fiancé and I went to Aqua Beach for a 4 night stay. We got a package deal which included 4 nights, 2 dinners, 2 activities, 1 lunch and full breakfasts each morning. We paid about $820 , which was in our price range, and was nice because we didn’t have to dish out extra money for our meals each day!
Our package gave us a Belle room, which is pool view, king size bed, room 407 to be exact. We get into the room and honestly it was SMALL. I mean the bed was about 12 inches from the television, the table was basically on top of the bed, and the bath room had no room to move about. The “closet” was just a little hall way type thing, with no where to hang anything. As soon as we stepped into the room I was EXTREMELY disappointed, but I thought well maybe I can make this work. Within 10 minutes of closing the door, anxiety/panic attacks kicked in and I had to leave the room, because it was too small! We called to the desk, on the cell phone because the in room phone would not work. The man at the front desk was very nice and upgraded us to a Largo direct ocean front room, for about $28 more, I would of paid anything as I was not able to stay in that room. The largo room was beautiful! All new! It had a small kitchen, a HUGE bathroom and was very roomy and comfortable! The hammock sundeck is beautiful and the pool and hot tub are kept up very nicely. The beach items you can signout for free were very nice, plenty of chairs, umbrellas and boogie boards. The bella vida café had pretty good diner type foods, everything we got was good. The location is really nice too, close to many bike rental places, restaurants and the boardwalk.
All in all it was a decent stay, considering we did get a nice package deal. But, just to save the trouble, make sure to book a new room, pay the extra money because it's worth it.

For the cons, there is no wi-fi, only in the lobby, the internet café was only open on occasion, luggage carts are hard to come by, because staff is using them constantly, for hauling boxes of toilet paper, or anything other than luggage. Some areas seem a bit run down, but as long as you make sure to get a newly renovated room, you should be ok. Not one time could we contact the front desk from the room phone, they have the desk number listed as 1, when really it’s 0. But, even when you call 0, no one will answer, or the phone doesn’t work at all. The elevators are pretty slow. Parking isn’t bad.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape May, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

This resort sells packages of different levels. We purchased the platinum level, most expensive, which was supposed to include a horse and carriage ride in Cape May. We were given a voucher to pay for this. The person selling the tickets at the carriage company told me that the voucher had no value to them, and they had this problem last year. The owner of the carriage company had no agreement with Aqua resorts, and did not even know where they were.
When I called the resort the clerk would not let me speak with the manager. After much arguing the clerk said they would reimburse me if I paid for the ticket ($40). I asked what would have happened if I didn't have forty dollars. To me this is false advertising and fraud.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Carmel, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We choose it just because it had the hot tub outside and looked great. When we arrived we were told no child under 16 was allowed in it. Well as we walked to our room all the hot tub had was little children as young as 3.
Next we got to the room it was not too bad the first night we stayed 6 nights. The second night we came back from the beach, and went to take a shower, it smelled and there was brown in the bottom of it. Yup their septic had backed up!!!! It took them 2 hrs to get someone out there, and we were late going to our dinner resservations. We had to argue to get in contact with a manager that was never there! Then argue to get a discount after spending sooooo much money! Customer service was horrible kept giving us the run around about when we could speak with a manager, then the manager walked right by us and still did not say a word! The last day we complained about he hot tub again, and to our suprise we were told they can not enforce their own rules! Waste of money!! Don't go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

We have been coming to AB for YEARS for bike week, NO complaints.
We get the "getaway package, which comes with breakfast's for two, a dinner for two, and activites such as the dolphin watch or the trolly or museum.. there are a few to choose from.
And its worth every penny, If you go, ask for the getway package and have the front desk explain it to you, not many people know about it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Old Bridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I have been going to this hotel since I was 16 years old. I never had a problem. It surprises me on how many people had so many problems. I am really shocked. The ads do not say "beach front." It says "ocean front." READ IT AGAIN. I have never seen grey or black on tiles in the bathroom. I always had clean towels. If you are looking for a 5-star hotel, this is NOT it. This is a beach town hotel. When we went there it was the 60s weekend and biker weekend. I haven't heard any open complaints from people staying there. They repainted and sealed the whole pool and hot tub. I don't go in public jacuzzis for the fact I don't know what other people have on their bodies least of all kids who are known to carry germs far and wide. I've never seen a cloudy pool. I have never had my bathing suit fade more than what any other pool has due to chlorine content. My guess is they put more chlorine in the hot tub because the warmth alone can fester bacteria on people. Thus my purple bathing suit did not turn orange. The convenience of this hotel is great. The boardwalk is literally right at the end of the hotel. Yes, it is a long walk to attractions. Great news! There is a tram car at that side of the boardwalk. If you can't walk it, you can buy tokens in one of the stores or use cash. They have an awesome roof top you can sit on their lounge chairs, day or night, and enjoy the weather, the sun coming up, the ocean breeze. As far as the deposit is concerned, remember I have been going since I was 16. I am now 39 years old and they ALWAYS, let me repeat, ALWAYS had a deposit policy or at least a hold on a guaranteed credit card. I never had a problem with management. I never had one give me a hard time. Why would there by a shower head at the pool when there is a shower in your hotel room???? It's RIGHT THERE. There are rental bikes across the street. The little cafe is very nice. You get a decent breakfast and lunch. The owner comes around and talks to people like you are a human being. I was born and raised in NYC so I know how demanding people can get. As far as your white sox getting filthy you must be kidding me. Seriously you have traffic of your own going in and out of the hotel room. I don't care if it is a hotel or your home, if there is walking traffic somehow someway your socks are going to get dirty. I don't know. I guess I try to keep basic with a couple of perks. You be the judge. The only reason why I didn't give this place an A+ rating because it is not Walt Disney World where people sing It's a Small World After All.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Aqua Beach Resort? Share your experiences!