“If you like being woken up from a sound sleep at 2 a.m., this is the place for you!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oceanview Motel

1.5 of 5 Motel   |   7201 Ocean Ave., Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #67 of 73 hotels in Wildwood Crest
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had stayed at the Oceanview several times in the past, the last time being in 2008 and, on every one of those occasions, we had an enjoyable time. The place was not the ritz, but it was certainly adequate. We are a middle-aged couple and, after watching a special on TV about Hurricane Sandy, we decided to revisit Wildwood to show our support for the citizens of New Jersey. Since we had stayed at the Oceanview in the past, we booked a room there for 3 days at a cost of $200 per night.

When we arrived on Thursday night, we checked in and the lady and gentleman at the front desk were lovely. When we arrived at our room, we found that the toilet was not working and my husband went down and asked if they could send a maintenance person up. We were told that the maintenance team had left for the evening, but the two nice people at the front desk gave us another room and we switched. Everything was fine.

We spent a nice day on the beach Friday and went to the boardwalk and had a nice time.

Friday night we went to bed at about 11 p.m. I awoke at 1:15 a.m. to the sound of kids partying outside our room. Being the mother of two now 20-somethings, I didn't do anything about it and just figured that if they weren't quieted down by 2 a.m. I would go out and ask them to keep it down. They eventually did quiet down about a half hour later and I gradually drifted off to sleep.

At exactly 2 a.m., there was a loud knock on our door (This is 2 a.m. in the morning now!) It was startling and made me nervous. I made sure my husband was awake and cracked the door open. There was a man (Darrell)outside who said he was with the hotel and that I had to come down and move our car that was illegally parked and "not pulled up to the white line." I said that our car was parked out by the sidewalk and he said, with a LOT of irritation in his voice: I know. That's the problem!

So, I closed the door and I said to my husband: Do you think this is a scam? Who knocks on a guest's door at 2 a.m. to move a car? My husband didn't like it and so we both went downstairs to our car, which was perfectly parked. I began to get nervous thinking that we were going to either be jumped or that someone was breaking into our room as we stood out there. So, we walked quickly to the lobby to report the incident and found the man "Darrell" standing there. I said: We just checked our car and it is fine. He said: Not it isn't . You guys don't know how to park. He gestured towards a car that WASN'T OURS! I told him that wasn't our car and he acted like he didn't believe us and pointed to the parking tag in the window and said that was our room number so it had to be our car. At this point, my husband jumped in and said: That's not our car and I can't believe you woke us up and had us come down at 2 a.m. Why not just call the room rather than knock? (I might add also that I found it pretty ironic that Darrell walked right past the 5 underage drinking kids to get to our room!) Anyway, Darrell told us that he was "just doing his job" and didn't apologize. The next morning I went down and looked at the car which was still "illegally" parked and the tag said 115. We were in 235!

The whole incident really unnerved us to the point that I still wasn't sure it wasn't some kind of scam. I approached the manager of the place the next day who was worthless and he said: Oh, yeah, Darrell had a bad night. Poor Darrell. When I pointed out that the car was still illegally parked and it was the wrong room, he just said: The guy made a mistake. Get over it.

We ended up leaving early as the attitude of the employee obviously was the same as the management. They would not give us our money back and, when we asked to speak to the owner, the idiot manager said: There is no owner. It's a corporation." When my husband said: Okay. Don't worry, we will talk to the owner, the guy said: Don't threaten me and followed us up the steps like he wanted a confrontation." Bizarre to say the least. NEVER AGAIN. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. And it's sad, because we did used to really like it. It's like the end of an era. Things have definitely changed. The manager is a jerk.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Elmira NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed in the oceanfront room, first off the amenities list is not correct, it says central air but we had an air conditioner. Our room for some reason the rug was always damp if not wet. Nice size room great views. Parking is very tight, the balconies on the 2 nd and 3rd floors on the pool side are small which makes it hard to get by people when checking in and out with your luggage. Wifi did not exist and the pool is always crowded. There is lots of parking on the other side of the building but the lot is very dark at night.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise and rowdiness get an oceanfront room
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

First let me say the word "motel" is a clue to modify your expectations for accomdations on the main boardwalk area for Wildwood. From what I could tell the majority of hotels on Ocean Avenue are motels with a "doo whop" 50s-60s feel and decor...some look stuck in time! However this motel was nice for a brief weekend get away. Expect ridiculous prices during peak season in the summer and this is definitely not worth the money, but if you spend the majority of your time sunning and funning it'll do just fine. Ask for ocean view or you'll really be dissapointed looking at the road and electrical poles or on the pool side where all the noise is and people pass your door all night long! Positives: cute pool area, restaurants within walking distance, great parking, nice staff, boardwalk 15 min walk, nice relaxing sunning deck with ocean view and plenty reclining beach chairs.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view to enhance your stay!
Bellmawr, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had booked a last minute 2 day stay mid week, for a very reasonable price. When we got there, we had asked if we could pay to stay a little longer than the regular morning check out time, so we would be able to enjoy a full second day. The manager, Greg Freeman, was able to accommodate us on that, which made me extremely happy, as I haven't been able to get down to the shore at all before then. He made sure we knew we could call him if we needed anything, which is some of the best customer service that I have seen anywhere lately. The rooms were very clean, and the facility was beach front which is exactly what I wanted. The pool looked great too, but we spent most of our time at the ocean...didn't even have to cross a street. The Oceanview Motel is perfect for a couple or family to stay and enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor. No noise that I could here, and we were pool side and had an ocean view...
Cogan Station
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent a family vacation at Oceanview.We were on the 4th floor and had a great view of the ocean and could even see the amusement park on the boardwalk.It was absolutely beautiful.The hotel is very children oriented with miniature golf right below us and the pool right next to that.They had a beach restaurant,bike rental,and beach patrol/first aid center all right there in a square.The park and bike path were also right there.You couldn't ask for more.The staff was so very nice and helpful and even the other guests were friendly.The rooms had all that we needed.They were very quaint and that is exactly what I was looking for.The mildew smell that so many people complain about is just part of the shore experience to me.My aunt's cabin in the Villas always had a slight smell of mildew and I found it to be a memory booster.I loved it there and will return every year if I can.I am also handicapped and found this hotel very accommodating.LOVED IT.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was excellent for view and breeze.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The back of the hotel looks like junk yard. The Pool is nice and maybe is the only good thing. Its pretty close to the beach and some restaurants which was also good. When you look through the window of the double bed rooms you see junk and not ocean. When we walked in the room there was this terrible smell which i cant stand. I went to the manager and i told him nisely that the room smells. He said lets take a look. He grabbed room freshener and sprayed it for couple of minutes. After that he left. That didnt fix anything. The price was O.K. but i just cant stand this. The beds were good and the rooms were clean. The furniture looks like its from 50 years ago and i thing its going to break everytime i touch it. The bathroom is tiny and old but clean. The only thing that safed me from the smell was a bottle of Jack Daniels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at this motel for a basketball tournament. Like others mentioned, it was like going back in time. Although it looked clean and the location was great, the room looks like it hasn't been updated in 40 years at least. We're not rich, but we're used to a little more luxury. I realize this is a beach town and this hotel is not a resort, but a few modernizations to the decor would not hurt at all.

Room Tip: The room we had was on the ground floor, right in front of the mini golf. We didn't request it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Oceanview Motel? Share your experiences!