“Top Quality Luxury Worth the Money if You Have It!” 5 of 5 stars

Moreys Piers Packages
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Top Quality Luxury Worth the Money if You Have It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Stayed at Port Royal for three days and four nights. Probably the second best hotel in Wildwood, next to Lampliter Oceanside Resorts. Here they offered everything in the highest of quality. Cannot get any better! Great service, clean, nice rooms with great views, a cool looking pool and nice deck, plus the luxury of having a an in-hotel cafe that was so good in terms of food and appeal, this is the way to go if looking for a pretty expensive, but "worth the money" resort. Be prepared to pay $250/night if staying here during the peak season, though. The best part - those great private balconies. Save up your mula if staying at the Port Royal!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at the Port Royal. We booked a package that included a ocean view suite for three nights along with a meal package that included breakfast each morning, one lunch and one dinner. The package was a great deal! We had an ocean view suite with two balconies, a small kitchen and two TVs. The room was very nicely decorated and for the most part clean. The carpets could have used a good shampoo but I'm sure this is just because it is the end of the season and a lot of sand and sea water can't be good for carpeting.
The staff was extremely nice. Anything we asked for was delivered quickly and with a smile. I didn't know when we booked the package that the dinner offered had a fixed menu with four options. I am a vegetarian and unfortunately none of the options were vegetarian. We asked if there was anyway I could get an alternate meal and they were more than accommodating. They asked me what I liked and if there was anything I didn't, that night there was a wonderful pasta and veggie dish waiting for me.
We were guests in late September and most of the guests were older, I would say 60+. My husband and I are in our thirties, we were there to relax so it suited us just fine and it was very quiet. Perfect for sitting at night and enjoying the sound of the ocean. This hotel is in the Crest so it is definitely the quieter side of Wildwood but it is still close enough to get to the boardwalk and bars. It was perfect for us!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Philly Suburb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

Steyed at the Port Royal for 4 nights during the last week of August 2009. Very much enjoyed our stay. Unlike many of the other hotels in the Crest the Port Royal has private balconies so that you are not sitting in front of your room on one large floor long balcony. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Convenient to the beach. Staff was freindly and helpful. They worked to upgrade us to a larger room after our fist night even though there were no other rooms available at the time of our reservation and at the time of check-in.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Sparta, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

After staying at the Reges for several years, and becoming less and less happy with that experience, we decided to stay at the Port Royal. We were not disappointed and have booked for next year at the same time. This is likely why, it may be difficult to book a room at the Port Royal - a lot of repeat customers.

Why was it better? Let's start with the lobby and surroundings - updated and quite a bit more upscale/attractive. The Effieciency Room - MUCH better layout. Two twin beds that function as couchs during the day. No uncomfortable & space draining pull out couch/bed in the middle of the living room. Rooms were updated, VERY clean - felt like you were spending about $300 a night for them (unlike the Reges rooms which bore little resemblance to any $300 room anywhere else). Really large closed area that can stow all the stuff for the beach, instead of it being in the middle of the room. And, ammenties - like a towel rack near the sink (not available at the Reges), soap, shampoo & conditioner. The bathroom and entire room was attractive, clean, fresh, modern - didn't not seem tired and old as they did at the Reges.

The balcony is large and gives you an excellent view of the ocean. No, they are not head on to the ocean - but the two parks on either side of the Port Royal leave a lot of open space as to not block a huge view of the sea. Don't be fooled into thinking that just because every room at the Reges is dead on view to the sea - it also overlooks their pool which plays non-stop worst of AM Radio all day and you will be forced to listen to it. Not so at The Port Royal - Thankfully they allow guests a quiet and relaxing pool side expereince. No blaring on the speakers of music. Also, the pool area is MUCH cleaner, updated and attractive than that of the Reges.

Also great - bike path runs right in front of the hotel. So, if one were to bring the bikes - easy access.

Easy acces to the beach - cross the bike path and you're there at a huge white sand beach.

Hotel dining - I didn't try, but the outside terrace dining and indoor dining area appeared very attractive and clean.

Overall - I never felt I got my money's worth at the Reges. I definetly felt that I did at the Port Royal, and would never stay anywhere else in Wildwood again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

STAYED AT THE PORT ROYAL HOTE. from august 3 to the 6. 2008 never stayed at a hotel in wildwood befor. but got some good reviews from tripadvisor and booked it. Well i am glad i did styed with my son, and had a great time. The room was nice and clean, service was great. The pool was nice, and loved that it was right on the beach, so you didnt have to drive or walk very far to get to it.. I am booking my vaciation again for next year..CANT WAIT!!!!!!!

• Liked — right on the beach
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flanders, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

After many years of trying, my husband and I were finally able to secure a room for 3 nights at the Port Royal. In all my 46 years, I've probably been to Wildwood Crest @30 times; have stayed in many of the hotels - all on the beach and mostly the 2-3 story motel type properties. The Port Royal is bit different and bit more upscale starting with interior room access, private balconies and a mostly family and extended family-oriented hotel. Lights out for sure by about 10:00 which was fine with me. Great room - since it was just my husband and myself, we had a Deluxe Motel Room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. Recently renovated, I found the room to be clean, large and actually had some nice touches that most of the Wildwood Crest properties do not give in a motel room. They supplied a counter height refrigerator/freezer, microwave oven, coffee maker, safe and even furnished much more plush towels which is different that the usual Wildwood-thin towels given at many of the other motels. They even supplied a shower cap, and some toiletries which again, most of the motels do not give. The pool was awesome with lots of chairs and umbrellas; I noticed a lot of people like to save the chairs with their towels, but for 3 days I came to the pool at 10:00, noon and 2:00 and had no problem finding a chair with an umbrella, so I'm not sure if saving is necessary. The cleaning crew were great; we had an issue the first night with our lock - the deadbolt broke; we told them in the a.m. and went out for a walk for an hour; when we returned, it was all fixed. The front desk crew were friendly; I agree with the prior commentor that there is one girl that is quieter than the rest, however, we chit-chatted plenty and I found her to be very pleasant. The final bonus when we left was that we had a room reserved for us for next year - same week, same room. I thought this is a great touch - if we choose to keep it, just send in the deposit; changes can be made if available after Oct. 1 and then reservations go out to the public after Feb. 1 - now I figured out why all these years I couldn't get in. Now I'm in! We will return.

• Liked — Cleanliness, pool and beach area, on-site restaurant, Adirondack chairs on porch
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Finally stayed at the Port Royal after a lifetime (literally) of summers at the Jolly Roger (same ownership). Why did it take me so long? The room was clean and tasteful with plenty of space for all of our clothes and many items. Everything was handled well at the front desk. It has been noted that the girls at the desk are rude or unfriendly; actually, I found them to be very nice. One of them is a little quiet and I think that comes across as unfriendly, but when you talk to her a bit, you find out she is actually a delight! The pool area is great - although I wish they would keep it open longer than 7PM since we enjoyed our happy hour under the cabanas. The location is perfect - with complete privacy provided by a park on one side and empty land/park on the other. We were on the 6th floor facing north which was perfect because you not only got a long view of the beach but also a view of the Boardwalk (including Friday fireworks) and a view of the bayside. Plus, you get shade in the afternoon, when you want it. The beds were fine - not great. The cleaning staff are a hoot and do a great job. They also make sure that guests respect each other: one evening they had to make a polite phone call to quiet a group of family members in the building to keep the noise level down. Okay, it was my family <blush> and we lost track of the time and were probably getting a little loud for the hour and they were right to tell us to hush. ;-)

Would highly recommend Port Royal to anyone visiting Wildwood Crest (just not when I'm going, because it is almost impossible to get a room during peak season ;-)

• Liked — Location and Quality
  • Disliked — Tough to get the room size you want because it is so hard to get in
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!