“WOW, Great place!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
new york
“WOW, Great place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Iwe've been to wildwoods many times before and made reservations last minute, therefore we've stayed in OK places. Port Royal blew my mind away, great package, service, room and the place is very well kept, clean and neat. The staff could be friendlier to my expectations, but the place was so nice that I was able to get over their unfriendliness. The weather was perfect to make my 3 day weekend a pleasant one. Will defenetly stay here again. Our daugther age 7 had a great time as well.

• Liked — Clean and decor
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff at times.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
melissalenahan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

Great Hotel. Wonderful Staff. Luxurios Room. Beautiful Pool and sprawling beaches. Great Breakfast restaurant below.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms.
  • Disliked — Crowded pool.
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

This hotel was overall ok. We stayed in an ocean suite and the other families that came with us stayed in the efficiency suite. Even though we got the ocean view, if you get an efficiency suite with the pool view you would also get the ocean view. I would recomend that suite for large families but everything looks better on the website. Since we had a large group of people all the teenagers needed a place to stay and the game room helped a lot. Until ofcourse it closed at 11. The lobby surprisingly closed too. The people at the lobby were very rude and inconciterate. That was the only problem i had with this hotel. Was it's staff.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

Stayed at the Port Royal from September 7-9th 2007… After staying in some dumpy places in the past, I was pleasantly pleased here.. Plenty of free parking on the street or you could pay $2/day in their parking garage… Beautiful grounds, nice big clean lobby with lots of couches/chairs to sit down at. Front desk staff was just wonderful and very helpful. Our room was spotless, nicely decorated, newly renovated & rooms had ocean view private balconies.. Our room also had a little refrigerator which was a nice extra that we weren't expecting. Housekeeping were very friendly and always cleaning and polishing..

Hotel is right on the beach but the boardwalk was a 1 mile walk but soooo worth it being this hotel in quieter area… Another plus was there was no hotel on either side of us which was really very nice made things more private. The pool grounds was nicely fenced in, beautiful and clean and plenty of lounge chairs but does fill up quickly..

We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, the Royal Grille café, service/food was wonderful – always checking to see if we wanted more coffee, etc., just make sure to get there early because it does gets crowded. We had a late lunch at their cute outside café which had a lovely canopy, food was very tasty, waitress was nice but seemed to hide in the kitchen vs. wait on customers.

The manager of the hotel recommended that we go to the Lighthouse Point Restaurant for dinner so we did - it was a fabulous place & right on the waterfront. We ate indoors and then after we hung out at their lovely outdoor bar area. Thank you for that recommendation!

This is the nicest, cleanest hotel that I’ve ever stayed in Wildwood.. Would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Everything was just new and clean
  • Disliked — That it was a mile from the boardwalk
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

My family and I have been staying at the Port Royal Hotel for the past 12 years. We always get the same room and stay the same week. We usually don't have any complaints until this year.

When we arrived this year the week of June 23 - 29th we were checking in and were told that the garage parking went up from $2.00 at day to $4.00 a day. This is a 100% increase over one year!!! We usually park in the garage but I can't see paying $4.00 a day for parking. We decided to change to the outdoor parking which is free.

When we got into our room I tried to open our balcony curtain and the curtain rod was broken. Then we noticed that there were a couple of holes in the screen that I know were there last year. Also, the clock near the pool area was wrong all week ,so unless you had a watch on in the pool you never knew what time it was while swimming.The maintenance crew has months during the off-season to make repairs, they need to do a better job. If the owners of the hotel are going to raise the rates every year, they need to do the little things in the off-season to provide their customers a better vacation experience.

During the middle of the week one of the elevators broke and was down all day. It was the day before we were to check out and I couldn't imagine it still being down while taking our luggage down on the carts with only one elevator working. Later on that same night it was fixed. I got my excersise climbing up to the 6th floor that day!

Also, we were issued a ten dollar off coupon for the Morey's restaurants when we checked in. After having breakfast in the hotel's restaurant we were told that the coupon is not good at the Royal Grill restaurant but good for other Morey's restaurants. The desk clerk specifically said we can use this coupon in the hotel restaurant. Management needs to train the desk help better so they are prepared when guests arrive. Also, how about a "how was your trip coming in" or a smile when you check in instead of a sour puss. I have been staying here for twelve years!!!!!

We did notice that new carpet had been put in our room as well as the hallway. That was a nice surprise.
Another thing that we love is the pool area! (except the clock) The cabana's are great for getting out of the sun. We always try to get one every day. The pool is heated and when it is a breezy day the pool water feels great!

We are trying to decide on sending in a deposit for next year. But I have checked with other hotels and priced their rooms for the same week and their rates are a little higher. So, I think we will be coming back to the Port Royal again next year.
I hope they do some upgrades over the winter so we are pleasantly suprised next June.

Stayed June 2007
Palmyra, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

My husband, myself, and my two children ages 4 and 1 stayed at the Port Royal Hotel from June 22nd to June 26th for a short, but much needed vacation. We stayed in Wildwood Crest two years ago at the Royal Hawaiian at the recommendation of a coworker...boy, what a dump that place was and won't recommend it to anyone!

I have stayed at the Jersey Shore (Ocean City for the longest time and eventually Cape May and Wildwood) every summer since I was born. Wildwood has the entertainment to keep my kid's attention, while close enough to Cape May for more adult things (aka--shopping!).

I found the Port Royal Hotel online by looking up hotels along the beach. It seemed to get a decent review here and it looked fairly modern and clean.

We arrived Friday around 3 pm to check in. The hotel lobby is quite impressive. Very spacious, has a game room, gift shop, and dining facility. Also has plenty of chairs along the front deck for lounging. When we arrived, the computers were down and the clerk was a bit short tempered. Being that I work mainly on computers, I could appreciate how she must have felt and gave her the benefit of doubt. Then I got our bill. I was expecting a certain amount based on what I paid down. I was shocked when my balance was almost $150 more that what was quoted on my receipt. When I questioned it, she snapped that it says that taxes and fees are extra. What they don't tell you is there is a 14% tax on your total. After some grumbling on my part, I conceeded because I missed that on my receipt and, heck, I'd graciously pay that amount to get a few days away from work!

We rented a cateogry "B" Ocean Suite. The room appeared clean and was spacious enough for all of us, including a toddler air mattress for my four year old and crib for my one year old. One problem we encountered on our previous trip while staying at the Royal Hawaiian was the carpet was sticky and if you walked in your sockes from the enterance to the bedroom, your socks would be filthy. Not here. The place appeared in good condition. We had a beautiful ocean front view that looked right out on the beach. We had a Queen size bed and a Full size bed in the bedroom and a pull out bed in the living room. I was quite surprised that in addition to a stove and microwave that there was also an oven, not that we would have used it (I'm on vacation....I'm not cooking!)

The one aspect of the room that I was disappointed in was the bathroom. It did look like someone attempted to cover up a rusting/mildew ridden wall with some wallpaper and border. The door swung open and was an inch away from the toilet. I'm not one to always shut the door because of having two kids and needing to know what they're doing at all times, so it was more of an inconvience to have to navigate the door to use the toilet. Also, I don't know where they bought their toilets, but boy, are they extra small! I guess it's the economy size, but when you've got a wide load, it makes for an interesting bathroom visit! Also, I have to be honest. I felt like I needed a tetnus shot to use the shower. When I bathed my kids, the water came out yellow....and not because of them being in it! I asked the maid and she said it's like that all over the hotel. Glad I brought bottled water, because after seeing what was coming out of the tub, there was no way I was drinking tap water there or using it for coffee! YUCK! I will say there was plently of hot water and water pressure, which was something we lacked at our previous stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

All in all, the room wasn't that bad. Maybe a bit cramped in the bathroom, but it functioned. I'm not a germ freak, so my kids had to make do in the water, but we certainly didn't drink it.

The hotel is on the beach. You have to walk across a small bike path and you have two private entrances to the beach. There is a park next door, which my 4 yr old loved and the other lot on the other side of the building is vacant.

We only ate at the Royal Grille once for breakfast the day we checked out. The food we had was good and reasonably priced for "shore rates".

Parking is cramped and if you want to park in the garage under the hotel, it's $4/day. Otherwise, there is off street parking that is best suited for compact cars and not a SUV! Our first night there, all of the cars parked at the hotel had any car magnet or sticker on them stolen. My husband is still fuming he lost his Detroit Lions magnet! There was a soccer tournament going on while we were there and there were a ton of teenagers there. Niose levels were ok, but the two families staying next door to us were rude. They were yelling outside their room (parents and kids) and at 11pm slamming doors, going in and out. Now, with two kids of my own, I was getting upset because it kept waking them up. Also, there were kids running up and down the hall screaming the one night. Where the heck were the parents? Seriously people...I wouldn't let my kid do this....why on earth do parents allow their kids to behave like this at 11pm-midnight on a floor filled with visitors? Thankfully, that was only the first two nights and then the hotel emptied out and was much quieter.

Only went in the pool once. It was in the low 70's the whole trip and there was quite a breeze going. My kids were getting cold, so didn't visit the pool after that. Pool area is very nice.

Overall, had a decent stay here. I've stayed in many places in Ocean City, NJ and Cape May and this was one of the nicer places for the price range. We would defiantely consider it in the future, although I think we'll try another hotel next year. Still, wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — beachfront
  • Disliked — not close to boardwalk
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

As soon as we arrived the staff was amazing. The property is absolutely breathtaking and extremely beautiful. The lobby is very welcoming and decorated elegantly. Our room was awesome. We had 2 queen size beds a sitting area, separate bedroom, bathroom, separate vanity space a great kitchinette with an amzing balcony that we used every second we could. This hotel was exceptionally clean and pristine!! In fact, we'll be staying there again next year. There is ample parking spaces, restaurant, gift shop and game room on the lower level. The pool and patio is absolutely gorgeous and the best part is it's located right on the beach. Our stay was exceptional!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!