“Nicest place in the Wildwoods” 5 of 5 stars

Port Royal Hotel
6801 Ocean Ave., On the Beach at Palm Rd., Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
“Nicest place in the Wildwoods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My family Bd I have been going there most summers for over 15 years. It's right on the ocean. Ample on site parking. Easy walk to Boardwalk but far enough away to be quiet at night. Very clean and up to date. Breakfast in their restaurant good, but dinners better off out ...

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our first "family" vacation with two toddlers, ages 3 and 1 (15 months) and I was extremely nervous. My husband and I always stayed in Cape May (pre-kids). Needless to say, this was our first stay at the Port Royal. I found this hotel, on this website. My friends stay at a different hotel, but after reading the reviews here, I decided this was the better (and cleaner) fit for us.
We stayed Labor Day week, Sept. 3 - Sept 7. It was the perfect amount of days for the kids, and us. We stayed on the fourth floor, overlooking the pool. The boys loved it! The pool was wonderful. My three year old could've easily spent the whole time in the pool. The only drawback was the lifeguards. On Monday, when we arrived, there was a very sloppy looking lifeguard, he definitely did not want to be there, you could tell my his demeanor and his clothes were dirty. The rest of the week there was a different lifeguard, he looked more professional, but he was more interested in his iPhone. Thank goodness my husband and I are "all over" our kids in the pool, I wouldn't have must trust in either of the guards there.
The room was always clean and comfortable. The maids were wonderful and friendly. We rented a crib for our 1 year old. They rent from an off-site rental agency. The crib was nice. They also supply the sheet and blanket, however, I brought my own. We stayed in the suite and had a bedroom seperate from the rest of the room. It was very nice at nap time. The walk-in closet was very nice and the additional sink, outside the bathroom, was great too. The efficiency kitchen was the perfect size and served it's purpose. We only used the fridge (bigger than "dorm" fridge) and the microwave. We used the stovetop as additional counter space. Come on, who's going to use a stove while on vacation??? I've seen numerous complaints about having a coffee maker w/ no coffee. Well, in my opinion, if you're that much of a coffee drinker, wouldn't you like your own brand? Would you really want to drink "hotel" coffee? Really, if that's all you have to complain about, then I would say buy your own.
Parking was not an issue for us. We parked in the garage each night. It's a little tight, but doable.
I've also noticed people complaining about towels not available for the pool. Well, you're going to the beach, wouldn't you have packed a towel? Just sayin'.
I'm very happy we were leaving on Friday, September 7. Roar to the Shore was beginning and it was becoming VERY loud with the motorcycles. The riders weren't really partying in the Crest on Thursday night, but while we were leaving the boardwalk on Thursday night, there was a lot of partying going on, along the route home and some very "interesting" people were partying on the sidewalks. About 8 years ago I probably would've joined them, but with two little ones in the backseat, some of the stuff that was going on boardered inappropriate. But hey, they were having fun.
There is also a bike rental place very close to the hotel, it's at the end of the park on the pool side. Oh yeah... there's also a very nice playground in the park, on the pool side.
There is just so much to do in Wildwood. The location of the hotel is great. It is right on the beach. If your taking little ones, I would greatly suggest a beach cart. There is so much to take out and it is a long walk out to the water.
Cape May was an easy drive from the hotel. If you have a cloudy, dreary day I would suggest taking the kids to the Cape May Zoo. It's not far.
Almost forgot... at checkout they automatically book you for the next year, for the same days. Very nice! I'm all set for next year.

Room Tip: If you have kids book a room over the pool. It will keep them entertained by "people watching...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jersey Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

It's pretty much everything everyone says about it. Beautiful, but VERY expensive. I personally, happened to love Wildwood beach. So if I am going to stay overnight this is the only place I would stay. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. We had a 5th floor efficiency. Nice big balcony & a great view from up there! The kitchenette was nicely equipped(even had some dish soap). The kitchen table was a bit difficult to sit at with the sofa bed set up-not much room. Beds were uber comfortable and true to size. Parking spaces were actually normal-unlike most motels in Wildwood. Great location with unobstructed views on both North and South sides.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Port Royal is one of the great hotels in Wildwood Crest. Our room was on the 4th floor and gave us a breath taking view of the ocean. We spent many evenings enjoying the sunset views. The hotel is located right on the beach and has everything you need to enjoy your stay. First and foremost, our room was super clean and large enough for a family of four. The housekeeping staff was incredible in cleaning our room and never came at a time when we were in the room. Actually, the entire hotel staff is extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. The room also featured two flat screen t.v.'s and proved very handy when my childrem wanted to watch the disney channel during the Giants opening game against the Cowboys. The hotel also features a "large eight shaped" pool and a kid's pool that are both heated. There's also a game room and a restaurant that had some of the best breakfasts around. Parking is plentiful around the hotel and the underground parking garage keeps you dry. Easy drive to the boardwalk, supermarkets, and Cape May. A great value from a great hotel! Make your reservations early because the hotel books quickly with many return customers like us. Thanks for reading my review and enjoy the Port Royal.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean, a must if you love the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Wendy and I continued our seven-day trip of Outlaws' shows with a visit to Wildwood Crest and a stay at the Port Royal Hotel. Situated right on the beach, this hotel is perfect for families south of Wildwood with a pool heavily inundated by youngsters. Parking is an issue since street slots are VERY limited so one can opt for parking in the garage under the hotel...for an additional $5.00 a day. Once up to our seventh floor room (GREAT view from the terrace), we found a double and a twin bed awaiting us. HUH? I'm not the slimmest slice of meat on the planet and having to inconvenience Wendy in a double bed ain't happening. So, I gave her the double and I slept on the twin. SURPRISE! They were the most comfortable beds we had on this trip. Size ain't everything! All else was great - bathroom was clean, the location was excellent, and access to Cape May for The Outlaws' show was easy! RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to take in the view. Better inquire about bed sizes, though, if that's imp...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fair Lawn, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Port Royal is a good place to stay in Wildwood Crest. We've stayed at Reges which is a little futher down and overall, the Port Royal is a bit better. Comparing places is always a bit dicey: each has its own way of doing things, is a different location and offer different amenities, etc. I would gladly stay at Reges as well but this is a review of Port Royal so I'll stay on topic with that.

Location of the hotel is good. You are a short walk to to the beginning of the boardwalk but please be advised that after a long day or night, the schlep back to the hotel can feel like an eternity. Some nights I wished I had taken my car. There's the trolley bus you can take as well just like at the Reges but we seemed so close at the Port Royal we felt like we were being lazy. The hotel is right on the beach.

Lobby area is very nice, almost upscale. The bathrooms in the lobby are really nice. The staff is courteous but I can't say they were REALLY friendly. They did their job and that was basically all.

ROOM: We stayed in the Efficiency Apartment. The layout was outstanding. We loved the separate bedroom while our two teenage children slept in the living areas. They liked that too. The beds were VERY comfortable and I am very picky about that. I've stayed at a lot places where it will take me a long time to fall asleep because the beds are not comfortable. Overall the room was in good condition but there were clearly signs of wear and tear. There appeared to be some kind of minor water damage throughout the room either caused by minor flooding or dampness, I couldn't tell. The wall paper running across the carpet in the bedroom was peeling away from the wall pretty much all around the perimeter and there was a distinct damp odor. I think the problem was with the humidity levels in the room. Despite keeping the AC on all the time on high, our bathing suits never got completely dry. We're down the shore so one can expect something like this but it was a bit odd. The "kitchen" area was small but OK. I can't imagine anyone making a whole meal in there but for coffee and a simple breakfast, it was more than adequete. The pullout bed we had was great. So easy to get it made. You didn't have to pull off the cushions or anything. It was decorated tastefully and cleverly with louvers and intersting colors. I liked that a lot. It was more than the bland type of hotel rooms I've seen at other Wildwood hotels (from the brochures). Balcony as OK. We looked out over the park to the north and as another poster stated, be warned that during the summer (at least 2012) there is a 8:30AM ZUMBA class. I thought someone next door was blasting Spanish music and that hour but it was the Zumba class. Wildwood Crest might want to rethink the Zumba class at that time.

Pool area was very nice. You could easily skip the beach and just stay there. Layout was big and there were plenty of places to lie down or sit. Points taken away for NOT having a hot tub.

The cafe was very good. It's basically a diner with better food. Nicely decorated and the wait staff were very nice. It's always a plus to have a food place in the hotel.

I wish the hotel had some kind of convenience store in the hotel for things like bottled water, milk and coffee, things like that. The gift shop sold mostly clothing and small gift items.

Overall the Port Royal was a good choice for us especially since we stayed five nights. It's a bit pricier than other places but some of the amenities are worth it.

Room Tip: Try for rooms nearer the beach and away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My friend booked one of the suites with a private bedroom. It was great! We felt like we had our own apartment. Full living room and kitchen with utensils and a refrigerator. We definitely are considering a trip for next summer. Its about a mile from the boardwalk, but I can use the exercise so no complaints. Right on the beach, literally. Very spacious and clean. The balcony over looking the park and ocean was great too! I'd highly recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!