“Our love affair has come to an end...” 1 of 5 stars

Reges Oceanfront Resort
9201 Atlantic Ave., Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #25 of 74 hotels in Wildwood Crest
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Our love affair has come to an end...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We started staying at Reges in 2005.

We were tired of the same hotel we were booking at in years prior and fell in love with Reges! Over the years however we have fallen out of love with it and are looking for a new place to try.

After going to Reges for the past several years, we can say the price has gone up while service and quality of the rooms have gone down. The best part of the hotel is the ocean view, but they never upgraded their rooms. Last year they said they were in the process of upgrading but we have seen zero changes. Its been the same furniture, kitchenette, tv, rugs, amenities, and all since we started staying at Reges in 2005. They offer great packages post-Labor Day weekend which offer free breakfast from their cafe, which is nothing to really brag about and is rather stingy for what they would normally charge. Their free dinner selections to certain restaurants however make the package worth it because not only is the dinner free, they serve excellent food! The pool and hot tub are a plus but are starting to get run down too. The photos shown on the website are similar to what you see when you arrive but highly run down so you have been warned! It's misleading to say the least!

Other cons: the carpets get damp and mildewy when the doors are open or when the air condition runs (condensation from the vents make the carpet wet, also creates an odor), the balcony is run down with loose rails, the walkway to the room looks like it gets painted over every year with a different color that chips right off, it just looks terrible. The windows in our room were filthy with hand prints on them, the bathroom is the size of a handicap stall (shower and toilet with exterior sink), the bathtub is slippery, the toilet shakes and with loose plumbing (toilet backed up often). The microwave is cheap and barely heats a bag of popcorn on the popcorn setting. The refrigerator had rusty or cigarette burns on the front of the fridge (looked like it was never cleaned). The dinette table and chairs were dirty with food stains on them as well as stains on the living room furniture. The bed linens are terribly scratchy and outdated. The curtains are worn out. They usually blackout the room but our room had tears all over the curtains that the sun shines right through them. The rooms are not very well soundproofed. You can hear everything upstairs, downstairs and next door to you, so if you are a light sleeper, expect an awful nights sleep and add on top of that an uncomfortable bed (and brutal sofa bed too; mind you they boast they upgraded the sofa bed mattresses - they are rock hard). The people who have worked there are no longer very friendly and the parking, forget it, expect to leave with a few scratches or dings on your car. I leave with at least two every year because the spots are relatively small, and people simply dont pay attention or know how to park anymore. Cleaning staff is not so pleasant either. They will barge in your room without knocking if you do not have the Do Not Disturb sign up.

Other pros: in addition to the fantastic view of the ocean and your ability to see the dolphins swim along the coast bright and early, I appreciate the hottub and the convenient location, it is only a few steps to the beach. In the shower there is a heat lamp which I do love, and there is also a hairdryer which makes you travel lighter (huge plus in my book)....and well that's all that is worth mentioning. For 200-350 per night, Reges is certainly lacking!

With that said, our love affair with Reges has come to an end and we are looking to stay at the new Hotel Icona and suggest you check it out too, it is only a few block south of Reges, where Pier 6600 was. Hotel Icona is fully renovated and only a few months old. You'd probably get more for your money there considering they offer much better packages (with brand new rooms accommodations and amenities)!

Change is often good.

Cheers!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RegesResort, Owner at Reges Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I would like to thank the reviewer for their patronage since 2005. I hope that we have been able to provide memorable and enjoyable vacations through these past 10 years.

The Reges like any business does not enjoy losing a customer, especially a long time customer. Of course each traveler must make their own decision regarding lodging and price considerations. There are certainly many fine lodging properties in the Wildwoods. I recognize that as some guests come to us from other hotels, so too we will lose certain guests who are looking for a more perfect fit for their vacation needs or maybe just to try something new.

The Reges Oceanfront Resort has 75 oceanfront rooms and suites with five different room styles, each with its own oceanfront private balcony. As part of our ongoing capital improvement program each room type is completely redecorated every 7-10 years on a rotating schedule. We do not renovate all of our 75 rooms in the same year, so some room furnishings will be newer than others. Room types that are fully renovated will be noted as such in our color brochure and on our web site, e-newsletters and advertising materials. In addition, all rooms are regularly updated and maintained with new amenities added each year largely in response to AAA standards and the suggestions of our guests. The Reges is an 8 story building directly on the beach: structural, weatherproofing (such as resealing of all our walkways and oceanfront balconies) and electrical/mechanical types of improvements occur each and every year. These improvements may not be “flashy” or very visible, but are necessary all the same.

This past season we added new memory foam mattresses for all 59 sofa beds. Many of our guests have reported that this enhancement has significantly improved the sleep quality of our sofa beds. It must be noted however that as a sofa bed mattress must fold into a limited space, it will not be as thick or as comfortable as that of a top quality regular bed. The Reges inspects and replaces mattresses and box springs on a regular basis. In light of recent hotel trends, mattresses purchased by the Reges in the past 3 years have the added benefit of a plush top, combining a soft top with the medium firm mattress that most of our guests seem to prefer.

Rooms are carefully inspected for maintenance and housekeeping quality prior to check in. Of course, we are not perfect and items will be missed from time to time. Our facility has a reputation of being clean and well maintained; and with our dedicated and qualified staff on site most items can be fixed very quickly once they are reported. We will continue to take steps to be proactive with our procedures in this regard.

The Reges enjoys the loyalty of a large percentage of returning guests in large part because of the excellent value, quality resort amenities and services that we have consistently offered over the 41 years that we have been in business.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact the front desk or the manager on duty who will be happy to accommodate your needs during your stay with us.

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Budd Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Great view, friendly service (not entirely true in the restaurant). Balcony is great, rooms outdated and a little dingy. But was not expecting the Ritz Carlton, so ok by me. Pool and hot tub area is well maintained, clean and was not overcrowded. At least in September. If you are bringing your iPad or laptop and expecting decent wifi, forget it. Per other reviewers, food at restaurant is just ok for breakfast. And with coupon, a limited selection. Will definitely go back to Hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is my first time on the Jersey shore (I'm from Los Angeles) and I brought a special needs individual I work with on a mini vacation. I took trip advisor's advice and booked a night at the Reges. I had a great feeling right off the bat because Alyssa, one of the lovely women at the front desk, was so patient with me while I explained my needs. I'm here now and have met Alyssa and the rest of the staff and they are nothing short of wonderful. The hotel is fine, you get your money's worth. I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton. The view is stunning and fortunately, our room is right next to the elevator which for some might seem obnoxious but actually works out better for us. They allowed us to check in early because he needed a rest and have bent over backwards to accommodate our needs. It's been very quiet inside and the balcony overlooks the pool and spa. We were recommended to try a local restaurant and for once, it didn't feel like they were pushing it or blowing smoke up our you-know-what's. She was right. The restaurant was wonderful. Anyway, I will be coming back twice more this month with special needs friends and I look forward to it immensely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the second time we stayed in this hotel. We love it the first time. I was looking for an oceanfront hotel for a weekend get-away with my family and I found this hotel. The first year, we stayed here on Father's Day and I got a package rate which was $500 for 2 nights with a dinner, snacks and a gift. It was a great deal. This year, we stayed in July and we were paying more for the rooms. For $335/night plus tax, I find it too much. The rooms even if they were big, they looked tired. It desperately needs updating. The beach even in July is too cold. Since the beach is public, it gets very crowded. We had to rent an umbrella and 2 chairs for $25.
I have mixed feelings with this hotel since I like the people that run it and we love the location. I just find the price is too high for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The rooms need updating, very small, your typical motel except it's a "hotel". Pool is gross, the lounge chairs dirty and need updating. The hot tub was cold. The restaraunt food was horrible. They wouldn't allow my friend and family check in an hour early on a horribly rainy day! No WiFi or cellular access.

• Stayed August 2013
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I write this review with mixed feelings. I gave Reges 4 stars because it has gorgeous views of the beach, the staff was very professional and experienced, and what I was looking for was a beachfront hotel that could accomodate a family on NJ shore. The reason we did not have the best time had more to do with Wildwood than with the hotel. I think we would have enjoyed Cape May more but we had a difficult time finding a B&B there that would accomodate a family of 4 in our price range. As for the hotel, it would have been nice to have a restaurant open for dinner but we really enjoyed Jersey Girl and some restaurants in Cape May. There was a lot of traffic around dinner time. Also the beach was gorgeous to look at but too cold in July to really swim in. You had to pay for chair/umbrella rentals and some people were not considerate in parking their stuff right in front of you, so the beach experience was not what we hoped for. This is not the hotel's fault but it did impact our enjoyment of its' primary attraction. Good points for the hotel was its size, oceanview, cleanliness and professional staff. Price was also reasonable

Room Tip: we stayed on 8th floor, great view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had just returned from our week long vacation at The Reges Resort. After reading all of the wonderful reviews my self, my husband and our 2 children decided this was the place for us. I had stayed in Wildwood Crest many years ago when I was a child and always had fond memories of our vacations. I did my research and knew was to expect being in the southern end of the crest. It was less crowded which we loved being close enough, but far enough away from the boardwalk. After reading the last persons review, all of Wildwood beach is a distance away and it is not a private beach. While I do agree that some updating is necessary newer televisions and in room safes would be a wonderful thing, the rooms were always kept immaculate. Not just in Wildwood Crest, but before every vacation we always plan ahead. We look at reviews for not only the hotel, but restaurants and always make sure to have addresses to make things easier. We will definitely be recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: All rooms with the exception of the first floor have amazing views of the ocean. The 2 northern end...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Reges Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!