“Good Local Bar” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Mentor, Ohio
“Good Local Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stopped at Crest Tavern after driving 12 hours to our vacation destination - WILDWOOD CREST!! Had a good meal - the best was the mussels with linguine - mussels were delish and plentiful! Nice local bar! See ya next year!

Visited June 2011

cape may court house, n.j.
“Fitzpatricks Tavern - My Kind Of Place !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Fitzpatricks Crest Tavern is a combination liquor store, bar and dining room. It has 4 or 5 booths across from the bar and a separate dining room with about 20 tables.
The ambiance is neighborhood bar. Daily lunch specials are an excellent value at five dollars. Dinner specials start about eight dollars and go to $15.99 for the fish Grouper topped with four shrimp scampi.
I will now relate to you the meals I had and my impressions. I began my lunch with a dozen oysters. Oysters were O.K., served raw and cold, just a little watery. They were not full flavored. It may have been the wrong month for oysters or just a seasonal fluctuation, or maybe the oysters were from another region and not our famous Cape May Salts. Two packets of Saltines, three lemon wedges, and a Dixie cup of cocktail sauce accompanied the platter. Hot Tabasco sauce was on the table. Raw Seafood should always be served on a bed of ice. These were not and it is a personal pet peeve .
Manhattan clam chowder, though not a personal favorite, was decent. Good strong slightly spicy tomato broth, fresh chopped vegetables of onion, celery and potato. Clam pieces were the down fall. Tough, chewy, lacked flavor. What went wrong ? Was the clam chopped to small ? Added to soon and boiled into toughness ? Should be an easy fix.
The Monday lunch special was "Dressed " cheese Burgers for five dollars. Mine was ordered medium rare, topped with swiss cheese and fried onions. Meat was perfect, pink inside, nice char marks and slightly browned outside. Charcoal was not used- the downfall of many a buger, the meat was just grilled with no added spices or fancy fillers. The Bricole bun should have been lightly toasted to better support the meat and it's juices. A un-toasted bun will sop up juice too quickly and become soggy. Better yet, a toasted Kaiser Bun would have been a better choice.
French Fries were hot, golden brown, and delicious. If you ever get brown French fries with a stale, rancid taste, it means the frying oil went bad. Don't eat them, it's not good for your health.
On Tuesday, I ordered the $ 5:00 dollar Flat Bread Blackened Chicken Caesar. The spices over powered the chicken, and I almost gagged. Less spice, please. Good romaine lettuce. Very good, fresh flat bread. The down fall of this meal was the Wise Potato Chips served on the plate, still in the bag. Chips had a flake board taste and did nothing for the sandwich or the meal. A handful of good Deli chip's with a nice crunch would be much better. Leave the bag in the Kitchen. Get the chicken without the Blackening spices and you will be much better off.
My waitress was polite, interested in my meals, and kept my water glass refilled. Kudos.
For Dinner, I ordered a cup of Minestrone soup. Served hot, the tasty broth contained Kidney Beans, onion, celery, tomato, and mushroom ?, which was surprising, but it worked well together.
Salad was a mix Romaine I think another green, one cherry tomato, and a Dixie cup of Blue Cheese. No onion, no shaved carrot, no olives, I could go on . You get the idea. They have to improve the salad.
Main Entree was Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, lightly fried, then baked. Two crab cakes looked very appetizing. Nice size, appearance, and texture. But they lacked flavor. Maybe frozen crab meat was used and defrosted under hot water, which could have affected the taste. Two different types of crab ? Too much filler ? I am not sure. If you're not real picky with crab cakes, these may satisfy.
Baked potato was very good. Hot and fresh tasting. Skin that was good enough too eat and I did. Came with four pats of butter and sour cream.
Cole slaw was fresh, sliced horizonal the way it should be and not diced, creamy with flecks of carrot.
I had my dinner at the bar, because the booths and dining room were full. I had to ask for my dinner roll. I had to ask for ice water, which should always come with a meal. Salt and pepper were given to another patron, without asking me first if I was done. Even more puzzling, other condiment shakers were available a few feet away that no one was using.
Choices of snicker pie and red velvet cake for Dessert, which I skipped because I suspect both were commercial and purchased elsewhere.
I heard good compliments on the crab clusters the couple next to me had.
A good selection of Craft Beers on tap are available and cans of domestic beer.
Of special surprise, my bar tender, Mike, who I have not seen since my "Wild" wildwood days, served me and it was great seeing him again. Mike use to work at the Wharf and Firehouse taverns in Wildwood.
If you go, expect a good lunch at a very reasonal cost, unique craft beers and a decent happy hour with food and drink specials . It' a fun, well run neighborhood bar with a decent ambiance and nice patrons.
The Crest Tavern is more of a happy hour with munchies, sandwich"s, and inexpensive "blue plate" dinner kind of place.
My kind of place.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Good bar food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This place has a strange layout, but is a good little sports bar. We went to watch the football game and grab some sandwiches. Good bar food. Friendly staff. Not too expensive.

I recommend this place.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Friendly local bar atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011 via mobile

Fun! Friendly bar the locals frequent. Open year round. Try the mussels!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A local's guide to the South Jersey Shore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The Crest Tavern has been a favorite for locals for many years. Actually it is not in Wildwood Crest, which is a dry town. It is in Lower Township, just steps from The Crest. We go there several times a year, most recently during the past Motorcycle Weekend in The Wildwoods. There is an outdoor seating area covered by an awning and several booths and table for two inside (which can be combined with the booths for larger parties). You can also eat at the bar. There is a wide variety of beer on draft with prices ranging from about $2-$5. During the prime summer season there is a wait, as well as on most spring and fall weekends. We had about a 15 minute wait. We got there on a Sat. about 6:30 PM. The wait was longer later. Service is friendly and casual. Our waitress was prompt and attentive without being overly so. My draft been was cold and ample. My 1/2 dozen oysters were cold, fresh and good. Condiments are readily available. I tried the chicken pannini. Loved it! Could have used a bit more seasoning for my taste. My companion had the roast beef sandwich. It was OK, but the roll was a little soggy which is a common complaint down the shore. The menu includes a variety of sandwiches, salads, appetizers, house specials and dinners. The atmosphere is family friendly, with lots of locals and old friends mixing easily with the summer crowd. Definitely not fine dining but fun, causal and a good time. I give it a Thumbs Up.

• Visited September 2011