“Not clean, wifi doesn't work” 2 of 5 stars

You added Royal Court Motel to your Saves list
Royal Court Motel
4301 Atlantic Ave., Wildwood, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #39 of 77 Hotels in Wildwood
“Not clean, wifi doesn't work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The place is just filthy. Parking is a pain in the butt, not enough when hotel is full. Lots of smokers. Was not a bargain price either, so it was not good dollar value. Other hotels in this vicinity are cleaner, but all lack the same amenities. So all things being equal, this hotel should be cleaner to compete. If you ask me, the whole place needs a good annual power washing and coat of paint.

• Stayed August 2013
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest, we are sorry you were disappointed. Please be assured we are working to beautify the property. Much needed hidden rehabilitation work has already been completed. Most of the building has undergone extensive stripping and repainting. However, we still have some exposed areas remaining in order to treat, repair, and patiently test a few more recalcitrant leaks and rust issues before final coating. We are almost there. This building, like many of wildwood's doo wop motels, is an oldie but goodie. Unfortunately it did not get enough TLC in the recent past. But we love it and we are trying to do right by it. Please note, power washing is done 3 or 4 times a year, however, during busy periods we opt to wash by less noisy methods. Being a vacation spot just a half block from the beach, we find it necessary to hose and brush down the place quite often. But we agree that nothing beats a good 3500 psi power washing.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Green Lane, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is the first time I went to the beach with just my kids and me. The room was ok sized but we only used it to change and sleep so size wasn't any concern to me. The owner and management was great, very nice and considerate. I left my car keys with them because I parked someone in but they kindly would give them back to me whenever I needed them. It was also very close to the beach and only about 3 blocks from beach blast so I was very happy with the location and the kindness of the owner and staff I will be back every time I go down to wildwood. Thank you for making my trip better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I have just recently stayed at the hotel, and let me begin by saying there was ONE positive about the hotel: location! It has a great location and is a short walk to pretty much anything! Rite Aid is across the street, and there are many diners in walking distance.

Now as for the negatives, I don't even know where to begin. Me and 5 other guests stayed in the H apartment, and was not worth the price. For one, our air conditioning units did not work. We did inform the front desk, and the air conditioning units were switched with units that worked, but would not get colder than 74.

With that being said, almost everything in the room was broken. The television in the master bedroom would not turn on. Also, the shower would not stay hot, even if it was the first shower of the day. Our toilet was not only disgusting, but it did not flush most of the time. Keeping on the subject of the bathroom, our "clean" towels were stained with who knows what and they were smaller than my torso.

Now for the kitchen, the fridge was a nice thing to have since we were staying for three nights. But we had no way to cook anything. For one, our toaster would burn everything and would smoke and turn on the fire alarm if anything was put in it. Our stove had ONE working burner, and even that burner took three years and a day to heat up.

One more reason I suggest not staying at this hotel, they have horrible customer service. We were constantly hassled in our room about extra guests when we had no one that did not belong. We had the manager open our door and barge in UNANNOUNCED which I feel to be totally unacceptable. We also had the security guard sitting outside of our room smoking cigarettes on our chairs (I am severely allergic to cigarette smoke). I also got a call early in the morning about a noise complaint. This was absurd considering everyone was sleeping except for me, and I was walking to the bathroom. It is beyond me how a 115 pound woman could create so much noise for someone to complain.

With all this being said, don't waste your time or money here. The rooms are dirty and smell. The bathrooms don't work. The kitchens don't work. And the managers are rude and nasty. You would be better off renting a room in another motel.

• Stayed May 2013
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest, with all due respect, we strongly feel your review mischaracterizes our facilities, and unfairly disparages our staff including our terrific security guard who has overseen nearly a decade of prom student guests visiting Wildwood. You failed to mention how cordial and smooth things went when we gave you permission to use the room a day early to store your luggage, stock up your groceries in the refrigerator, and leave your car on our lot. You asked about one of the AC’s power buttons not working. We gave you a remote control which works to switch on and control the digital unit. It also works to lower the temperature. You can set it as low as 62 if you like. It has both heat and cool mode. Perhaps you did not have it on the right settings since you say you had problems with all three units? You say we changed AC units but we never swapped out any units as they all work fine.

We regret the water temperature was not warm enough for you. We could have easily fixed that if notified (previous guests found it too hot, and we had lowered it upon their request). The claim about the stove burners is perplexing. We have had subsequent guests stay in this very apartment, including prom student guests like yourselves who have cooked in the kitchen and offered the staff dinner. We checked the burners; they heated up extremely fast, untouchable in 5 seconds. All four burners are working. The claim about the television is also baffling. We checked and its working. Sorry you felt the towels were smaller than your torso. The towels are a standard common size you will find all over Wildwood: four feet long.

The claim that a manager barged in on your apartment is inaccurate. We never “barge” in on folks. We do stand at doorways with partially open doors and noisy crowds inside in order to investigate a ruckus or crowd forming activity. We enter rooms only after knocking and giving a warning. We always give warnings and make our presence known.
As regards being ‘hassled’ about extra guests, there is an enormous amount of young person foot traffic to keep track of on a prom weekend. It behooves us to ask congregations of young people to show wristbands as they traverse the facility or as crowds start trickling into rooms. We do not go into rooms without cause and without warning. It’s the right practice in order to maintain security and safety. Most students are happy to comply. Parents are especially glad that we do this.
I the manager did make one phone call to you with a stern warning about noise. It was between 12:30 and 1AM. Music and loud noises were going on intermittently throughout the day, but it was not severe and I never made a fuss over that. However, late at night some excessive running, screaming, and stomping noises traveled down the interior stairwell to the first floor. This is why I called and demanded that you quiet down. You guys were good about that and the noise stopped in under five minutes and we appreciated that. No other staff member has any recollection of calling at 4AM.
We have found no wrong doing or unprofessional behavior among our staff in terms of rudeness or failure to follow protocol regarding enforcing the facility rules and regulations, and we have found that all the items claimed to be non-functional are in fact functional.

Lastly, I would like to defend our security guard, an upstanding family man with a few teens of his own. He is a gentleman and would have gladly put out his cigarette if he knew that it bothered anyone in the slightest. We have had parents call in to commend our security guard because their sons and daughters actually go home and inform the parents of how well he handled incidents with them and their friends. It is a very rare occasion for him to take a quiet smoke break well into the night after things have settled down. Please also consider the fact that the balcony space outside your unit is extra long and one can sit outside the unit whilst avoiding being too close to the door or window.

The Royal Court Motel remains an excellent place for students to stay during our designated prom weekends. We welcome parents and students to call in any time and find out for themselves who we are, and how we operate. We strive to strike a balance between our sympathy and understanding for young kids and their expectations and desires, and our firm commitment to enforcing the regulations and policies that are crucial to promoting safety and security.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

It's not the Four Seasons. It's a motel. I didn't expect the park avenue experience.
The rooms are very dated, the entire hotel is actually. The bathrooms look very institutional. One ice machine on the first floor.
The photos on their website are a little misleading.
I will say the service was great. The staff was friendly. The rooms were cheap and clean. The motel is in walking distance to just everywhere. I got what I paid for. No complaints.

• Stayed April 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at this motel the last week of June in 2011 and 2012. It's located near everything - a 5 minute walk to the boardwalk and beach, 2 blocks from the Convention Center, and right across the street from a 24-hour Rite Aid. Both years that I was there, I parked my car when I arrived on Monday and never used it until I checked out on Friday. Note that while it's 5 minutes from the BEACH, if you plan to swim, it's about 15 minutes from the OCEAN. Wildwood has a very wide beach, and it's about a quarter of a mile from the boardwalk to where the surf hits the sand. The motel has 2 pools, free ice, a microwave and fridge in every room, and daily maid service. Some reviewers have pointed out that the rooms are fairly small and that some of the furniture is worn, which is true, but that's true of ALL the motels in downtown Wildwood. If I wanted the Hyatt, I'd stay at the Hyatt, and I would be charged Hyatt prices. This place is a great bargain for what you pay, and I'll most likely stay there again this Summer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

At first arrival at the royal court motel you will be greeted by one thing: rust rust rust and more rust. They should change their name to the rusty court motel. The parking is ridiculous, you have to park 3 deep and give the office the keys to your car. We stayed in a supposed 2 room suite but the room is no bigger than a regular hotel room. We were also greeted by a large iron burn on the carpet that looks like its been there for 12 years. Save your money and stay somewhere else

• Stayed August 2012
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest, we're sorry for the temporary exterior eye soar. As you may have noticed we had signs posted indicating the the building was undergoing exterior work. We love this old resilient building along with all the other remaining Wildwood Doo Wop Motel classics from the 50's and prior! We are conscientiously fixing it up every year! Soon it will have a fresh new look. However due to the the proximity to the ocean, and poor maintenance by the former ownership, we are having to strip railings and various parts of the building to pre-treat those areas in multiple steps. Sorry you were not happy with your room. Please note that our unit sizes are comparable to most of the places around here. These beach area accommodations are sized and built to meet the high demand of a tourist area. Having said that however, we still have a variety of larger than averge room options as well. Also please bear in mind that our price point for that 6 person unit presents an excellent value for families on budget. And the iron mark...ugh..yes, you got us on that one. We are taking care of it.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I spent 6 days at the Royal Court. It is your typical old run down Motel which is not uncommon for this part of Wildwood. The rooms are small, smell and need to be completely remodeled. The bathrooms are so outdated that the maids could spend a week cleaning them and they would still look dirty. And this is not 1 room we stayed in 3 different rooms so we got a good feel for this place. Some background on why we had 3 rooms :Our room got flooded during a bad thunderstorm through the AC unit in the wall. We ran down to wake up the manger/owner to inform him and he did move us down to another room. The next day we moved to a 3rd room as the floor in our original room was still very wet.

This place is centrally located which is about the only good thing I can say. It does have 2 pools but the ocean has much warmer water. The showers do not always provide warm water either. The towels that are provided are small and stained. The maids keep the beds made and vacuumed but as I said the place needs to be renovated so they can only do so much.

The worst part about our stay is that they blocked our car in and we could not leave for 1.5 hours. We had planned our 7 hour journey home and got delayed because they did not have the key to the car behind us. After 10 minutes we asked the woman at the front desk to call the tow company (which is their policy if a guest does not leave a key and can not be contacted which they could not). She did not call the tow company instead called the owner. After she told me that I once again asked her to call a tow company since she was managing the place and it seems appropriate that we should not have to wait any longer than necessary. Another employee even agreed that she should call the tow company. She refused in front of several other guests and was surprised that I would be mad. Some guests even suggested we call the police since she was keeping us blocked in. In the end the other car's owner came back from the beach but we should not have had to wait 1.5 hours to get our car. That is unacceptable and a shocking inability to manage the blocked parking and for that reason alone I would not suggest you stay here.

We are reasonable people and did not have huge expectations. In fact we did not even ask for a night's money back from our night of being flooded (nor were we offered any money back which I would think would be customary?). If you want access to your car I suggest going to many of the other locations that do not block.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I was the manager on duty when the guest's car was blocked in. Let me start by apologizing that the guest had to wait. That is certainly a nuisance for you and it is very stressful for us when one guest blocks another guest in, and they cannot be contacted immediately. Having said this, I would like to make some clarifications. Our cameras confirm that the above guest came to the front-desk to checkout at 3:52 and they were finally able to pull out their vehicle at 4:43. Yes it took 50 minutes and we are sorry for that inconvenience, but it was clearly not 1.5 hours. To this day we have never had to tow anyone's car. And until this incident, the staff has never been blamed and yelled at because another guest could not be reached immediately to move a vehicle.

In this case we feel we followed the right procedure. The the blocked in guest was adamant that I call the tow company after I failed to reach the customer by their multiple cell phones on the first try. As I frantically tried to call all of the family's numbers again, the guest was becoming visibly unhappy and telling me to call the tow company "now" in an demanding tone. I said I would wait a few minutes and try to phone them again. The customer would not accept this and said the tow company should be called within 5 minutes of first attempt to contact, and he pointed out to me that I should not work in this business if I cannot manage parking, and that I failed to collect the key of the blocking vehicle.

But I would like to clarify that we cannot force persons to part with their keys. We can only make the request. We do however require that the guest sign and agree to the parking and towing rules and that they provide multiple cellphone contacts so they are reachable in the event that they must move their car. This is very common in Wildwood. Most of the motels on this strip have a number of both non-blocking and blocking spaces just as we do. Some hotels leave it entirely on the customer to go knock on the blocking guests door and ask them to move. Not us. We scramble to track down the car owners. We sincerely do everything in our power to facilitate free movement of vehicles. Usually customers wait and give the blocking party some time to respond. We believe it is the right thing to do.

However in this instance the guest insisted we call the tow company only after our first attempt to contact the blocking vehicle owners. Furthermore, the entire time that I tried to deal wiht the issue I was criticized for not being able to do my job and not calling the tow company right then and there. I was reprimanded in raised tones and essentially told I could not do my job which is blatantly untrue and demeaning. Finally I was told that the police would be called if I did not have that car moved in 10 minutes. I feel the guest was being both unreasonable and disrespectful and I asked him to lower his tone. This is what in fact surprised me is the way I was being spoken to and the fact that there was no space in which for me to focus and calmly try to resolve the issue without being yelled at and pressured into prematurely calling a tow company. Even the Rite Aid manager across the street has walked into our office to find out if we might check with any guests to see if they parked illegally at the Rite Aid prior to commencing a towing. We once even had a police officer do the same with respect to a vehicle parked on the street.

The fact of the matter is that around the 25 minute mark, I did attempt to call the local tow company after running back to the office. Prior to that we were all out side as I looked into the parking situation in case we could maneuver the car through a side space. As I investigated that option I continued to get aggressively pressured and ordered by the customer to call the tow company. It was reasonable of us to start calling the tower at the 25 minute mark and I did so. When I got no response, I called the local police department to expedite things. The police officer spoke to me for a few minutes about the situation and suggested another tower, but he too lamented that we asked if we might just wait a little while longer at least. Meanwhile our head manager arrived and tried to call the blocking car owners again. Finally he reached them at the 35 minute mark. They arrived to move their car exactly 51 minutes after the blocked guest originally walked into to checkout.

The timeline of events indicates we did the right thing. It strikes us as incredibly unreasonable to call a tow company only five minutes after calling the guest. We also feel that the guest was unnecessarily rude and there was no reason to bully staff and tell them they can't do their job when they were clearly giving full attention to the matter the entire time.

As regards the room issues, these grievances were only raised during the wait for the car to be moved upon checkout. Nothing was previously mentioned. For the five days they stayed, we were never told about any dirtiness issue, and we received no request to turn up the hot water temperature. There were no complaints all five days. Furthermore, if we had been informed, we could have offered the guests a different room option following the storm incident. We feel we did what any hotel facility would do in the event of sudden unforeseen room damage. We offered a comparable room to switch to. The storm that night was rather severe, it even flooded the streets and a nearby restaurant. The direction of the wind and forcefulness of the rain caused water to seep into the AC unit and eventually it traveled into the room. This was unexpected, but we did the right thing and moved the guest immediately to our last available room which was a queen bed. The next day we offered the guest the choice to stay in that room or to opt for another unit. They chose the king unit as that is what they originally had.

Been to Royal Court Motel? Share your experiences!