“Love those Wildwood Days!!” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Court Motel
4301 Atlantic Ave., Wildwood, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #40 of 78 Hotels in Wildwood
Bethesda, Maryland
“Love those Wildwood Days!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at this motel the last week of June in 2011 and 2012. It's located near everything - a 5 minute walk to the boardwalk and beach, 2 blocks from the Convention Center, and right across the street from a 24-hour Rite Aid. Both years that I was there, I parked my car when I arrived on Monday and never used it until I checked out on Friday. Note that while it's 5 minutes from the BEACH, if you plan to swim, it's about 15 minutes from the OCEAN. Wildwood has a very wide beach, and it's about a quarter of a mile from the boardwalk to where the surf hits the sand. The motel has 2 pools, free ice, a microwave and fridge in every room, and daily maid service. Some reviewers have pointed out that the rooms are fairly small and that some of the furniture is worn, which is true, but that's true of ALL the motels in downtown Wildwood. If I wanted the Hyatt, I'd stay at the Hyatt, and I would be charged Hyatt prices. This place is a great bargain for what you pay, and I'll most likely stay there again this Summer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

At first arrival at the royal court motel you will be greeted by one thing: rust rust rust and more rust. They should change their name to the rusty court motel. The parking is ridiculous, you have to park 3 deep and give the office the keys to your car. We stayed in a supposed 2 room suite but the room is no bigger than a regular hotel room. We were also greeted by a large iron burn on the carpet that looks like its been there for 12 years. Save your money and stay somewhere else

• Stayed August 2012
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest, we're sorry for the temporary exterior eye soar. As you may have noticed we had signs posted indicating the the building was undergoing exterior work. We love this old resilient building along with all the other remaining Wildwood Doo Wop Motel classics from the 50's and prior! We are conscientiously fixing it up every year! Soon it will have a fresh new look. However due to the the proximity to the ocean, and poor maintenance by the former ownership, we are having to strip railings and various parts of the building to pre-treat those areas in multiple steps. Sorry you were not happy with your room. Please note that our unit sizes are comparable to most of the places around here. These beach area accommodations are sized and built to meet the high demand of a tourist area. Having said that however, we still have a variety of larger than averge room options as well. Also please bear in mind that our price point for that 6 person unit presents an excellent value for families on budget. And the iron mark...ugh..yes, you got us on that one. We are taking care of it.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I spent 6 days at the Royal Court. It is your typical old run down Motel which is not uncommon for this part of Wildwood. The rooms are small, smell and need to be completely remodeled. The bathrooms are so outdated that the maids could spend a week cleaning them and they would still look dirty. And this is not 1 room we stayed in 3 different rooms so we got a good feel for this place. Some background on why we had 3 rooms :Our room got flooded during a bad thunderstorm through the AC unit in the wall. We ran down to wake up the manger/owner to inform him and he did move us down to another room. The next day we moved to a 3rd room as the floor in our original room was still very wet.

This place is centrally located which is about the only good thing I can say. It does have 2 pools but the ocean has much warmer water. The showers do not always provide warm water either. The towels that are provided are small and stained. The maids keep the beds made and vacuumed but as I said the place needs to be renovated so they can only do so much.

The worst part about our stay is that they blocked our car in and we could not leave for 1.5 hours. We had planned our 7 hour journey home and got delayed because they did not have the key to the car behind us. After 10 minutes we asked the woman at the front desk to call the tow company (which is their policy if a guest does not leave a key and can not be contacted which they could not). She did not call the tow company instead called the owner. After she told me that I once again asked her to call a tow company since she was managing the place and it seems appropriate that we should not have to wait any longer than necessary. Another employee even agreed that she should call the tow company. She refused in front of several other guests and was surprised that I would be mad. Some guests even suggested we call the police since she was keeping us blocked in. In the end the other car's owner came back from the beach but we should not have had to wait 1.5 hours to get our car. That is unacceptable and a shocking inability to manage the blocked parking and for that reason alone I would not suggest you stay here.

We are reasonable people and did not have huge expectations. In fact we did not even ask for a night's money back from our night of being flooded (nor were we offered any money back which I would think would be customary?). If you want access to your car I suggest going to many of the other locations that do not block.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I was the manager on duty when the guest's car was blocked in. Let me start by apologizing that the guest had to wait. That is certainly a nuisance for you and it is very stressful for us when one guest blocks another guest in, and they cannot be contacted immediately. Having said this, I would like to make some clarifications. Our cameras confirm that the above guest came to the front-desk to checkout at 3:52 and they were finally able to pull out their vehicle at 4:43. Yes it took 50 minutes and we are sorry for that inconvenience, but it was clearly not 1.5 hours. To this day we have never had to tow anyone's car. And until this incident, the staff has never been blamed and yelled at because another guest could not be reached immediately to move a vehicle.

In this case we feel we followed the right procedure. The the blocked in guest was adamant that I call the tow company after I failed to reach the customer by their multiple cell phones on the first try. As I frantically tried to call all of the family's numbers again, the guest was becoming visibly unhappy and telling me to call the tow company "now" in an demanding tone. I said I would wait a few minutes and try to phone them again. The customer would not accept this and said the tow company should be called within 5 minutes of first attempt to contact, and he pointed out to me that I should not work in this business if I cannot manage parking, and that I failed to collect the key of the blocking vehicle.

But I would like to clarify that we cannot force persons to part with their keys. We can only make the request. We do however require that the guest sign and agree to the parking and towing rules and that they provide multiple cellphone contacts so they are reachable in the event that they must move their car. This is very common in Wildwood. Most of the motels on this strip have a number of both non-blocking and blocking spaces just as we do. Some hotels leave it entirely on the customer to go knock on the blocking guests door and ask them to move. Not us. We scramble to track down the car owners. We sincerely do everything in our power to facilitate free movement of vehicles. Usually customers wait and give the blocking party some time to respond. We believe it is the right thing to do.

However in this instance the guest insisted we call the tow company only after our first attempt to contact the blocking vehicle owners. Furthermore, the entire time that I tried to deal wiht the issue I was criticized for not being able to do my job and not calling the tow company right then and there. I was reprimanded in raised tones and essentially told I could not do my job which is blatantly untrue and demeaning. Finally I was told that the police would be called if I did not have that car moved in 10 minutes. I feel the guest was being both unreasonable and disrespectful and I asked him to lower his tone. This is what in fact surprised me is the way I was being spoken to and the fact that there was no space in which for me to focus and calmly try to resolve the issue without being yelled at and pressured into prematurely calling a tow company. Even the Rite Aid manager across the street has walked into our office to find out if we might check with any guests to see if they parked illegally at the Rite Aid prior to commencing a towing. We once even had a police officer do the same with respect to a vehicle parked on the street.

The fact of the matter is that around the 25 minute mark, I did attempt to call the local tow company after running back to the office. Prior to that we were all out side as I looked into the parking situation in case we could maneuver the car through a side space. As I investigated that option I continued to get aggressively pressured and ordered by the customer to call the tow company. It was reasonable of us to start calling the tower at the 25 minute mark and I did so. When I got no response, I called the local police department to expedite things. The police officer spoke to me for a few minutes about the situation and suggested another tower, but he too lamented that we asked if we might just wait a little while longer at least. Meanwhile our head manager arrived and tried to call the blocking car owners again. Finally he reached them at the 35 minute mark. They arrived to move their car exactly 51 minutes after the blocked guest originally walked into to checkout.

The timeline of events indicates we did the right thing. It strikes us as incredibly unreasonable to call a tow company only five minutes after calling the guest. We also feel that the guest was unnecessarily rude and there was no reason to bully staff and tell them they can't do their job when they were clearly giving full attention to the matter the entire time.

As regards the room issues, these grievances were only raised during the wait for the car to be moved upon checkout. Nothing was previously mentioned. For the five days they stayed, we were never told about any dirtiness issue, and we received no request to turn up the hot water temperature. There were no complaints all five days. Furthermore, if we had been informed, we could have offered the guests a different room option following the storm incident. We feel we did what any hotel facility would do in the event of sudden unforeseen room damage. We offered a comparable room to switch to. The storm that night was rather severe, it even flooded the streets and a nearby restaurant. The direction of the wind and forcefulness of the rain caused water to seep into the AC unit and eventually it traveled into the room. This was unexpected, but we did the right thing and moved the guest immediately to our last available room which was a queen bed. The next day we offered the guest the choice to stay in that room or to opt for another unit. They chose the king unit as that is what they originally had.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

i am someone that has a family but still feels we deserve a vacation so with a little money in my pocket i found this motel that met my budget the girl at the desk is just great came around asking us how our stay was if there was anything that we needed,they also have free parking for every room and a block and some steps away from the boardwak, two pools. i just loved it Kathy is there every morning ready to service your room and is amazing at her job,clean towels clean sheets and a clean room everyday i do wish they were pet friendly and the rooms do need a little upgrading but other then that they have great staff and the best prices that close to the beach,oh no iron but they dont mind letting you use thier laundry area to do so rite aid is on the cornor and that made the trip a little easier for the things I did forget, I will return again! thanks for the hospitaliy

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear reviewer, thanks for your kind words! We appreciate your taking the time out to recognize us and and especially our hard working staff. We wish to take this opportunity to let all guests know that the staff here to help. We want to know if you have any issues or concerns and we want to improve your stay! Thanks again!
Rosedale, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Over 20 years ago, we used to stay at the Royal Court Motel each summer with our children, family and friends, and we always had a wonderful time. The motel was and still is modest and simple in design, but met all of our needs - both then and now. Our children now grown, and 4 grandchildren later, we decided to return to Wildwood and the Royal Court Motel. It looked the same as we drove up, but is under new management. We found the new owners to be friendly, helpful, quick to meet any needs, and very down to earth. We learned that many of the motels of Wildwood (including this one) are now part of Wildwood's "Doo Wop" development style - mimicking the simplicity and architectural design and charm of the 50's & 60's pop culture. There's even a Doo Wop Museum and a Doo Wop 50's Trolley Tour! Although we previously stayed in an efficiency apartment, we chose a room for 2 on the top floor overlooking the lower pool, with a king-sized bed, table with 2 chairs, TV, 'frig, m/wave, and shower. Our room was simple but clean with the same furnishings that we had remembered, and very moderately priced. The bed was comfy, the a/c was cold, the appliances worked well, the shower worked fine, and our view was nice. The room was vacuumed, restocked with towels and toilet paper, and trash emptied each morning. The pools were cleaned every day and renovations were being made (scraping old paint, power-washing floors, etc.) during the day when most people were either on the beach / boardwalk or in the pool. There is a huge Rite Aid across the street that has everything-plus with reasonable prices, and the walk to the boardwalk is only about a block and a half away! We had a wonderful 4 day/3 night stay last week, and we are looking forward to resuming our annual family summer vacation at the Royal Court Motel.

Room Tip: Bottom rooms are best suited to families with children - no stairs, close to pool, etc. Older people...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for you positive words. We are so glad to hear you had a wonderful stay! We are especially encouraged by your interest and enthusiasm for Wildwood doo wop history. We are striving to bring this property back to life whilst paying homage to its historical background. We look forward to your next visit after our up and coming exterior changes are made!
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Will be back in 2012 - we had a wonderful time in Wildwood and at the Royal Court Motel. The staff was genuinely helpful, were cheerful and would ask us if everything was ok. We got a great price for being under two minutes walk away from the boardwalk and for the large pool facility there. We found the poolside room, including bathroom to be very well cleaned and of good size by Wildwood standards. Furniture was dated but our mattresses were comfy which is what we looked for. The AC was new and very effective. TV was 27" and presented a nice clear picture. The housekeepers came daily and brought fresh towels, wiped down everything, made the beds, and vacuumed. Coffeemaker and hairdryer was given upon request. The pool deck got good sun and the large pool is a lot of fun. The place was packed with families and we were worried about over crowding at the pool. But we found there is also a second pool on the other side which seemed to attract the parents with smaller kids. The location is the best part for the price and level of cleanliness - we did not need to use the car at all. Restaurants, boardwalk, beach, a park, a nightclub, movie theater at the convention center were all 5 to 10 minutes walking distance. Before we left, the staff showed us the poolside efficiency and the third floor apt. We loved the apartment and have planned an extended family vacation based on staying there. Very looking forward to it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, QC, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is my 10th or 11th year straight going to Wildwood with 3 friends and I have been to a few hotels over the years. I am open in trying new motels as long as they are at a good price. I am aware that all motels are quite dated and all have quite dated furniture so nothing could really surprise me now. As we booked a little late for the season (in June) and there were not many hotels accepting "non-family" reservations (we would get the "is everyone over 25" question every time I'd call for a reservation inquiry); we went with the hotels in our price range. As the Royal court was charging us their regular season rate even though it was biker weekend, we also went with this choice because it was in the area we are more acquainted with as other similar hotel prices were more near the Crest or in North Wildwood.

I have to say that the staff at the hotel (owners) are very kind and helpful, and funny. Check-in went smoothly even though we arrived earlier than check-in time. There was maybe 3 other staff members for cleaning rooms and pool.

I have to say that I was a quite disappointed when we stepped into the room (Balcony side room - BCY)... As said previously, I know about dated Wildwood motels but this room was dated! The bathroom was tiny and one of the window shutters was missing so we needed to close the door all week for the air conditioning. There was no shelving in the shower so all 4 of us had to use the small shelf on top of the sink foir our belongings. The beds were very old, too soft but clean (one of my friends saw a bug).. There was almost no lighting so it was very dark at night. The AC, fridge & TV worked fine.

The windows were not well isolated as the room was humid all week... all our clothes would end up humid even in the drawers with the AC on. There ware quite a few drawers for clothes and hangers - so alot of storage.

The pool in front of our room was a bit iffy, but the larger pool towards the front of the hotel looked cleaner and actually 9' deep. This is the first time I went to a small pool that has 9' deep - nice to jump in and dive for once! The chairs and long chairs around the pool were fine but a little old. A nice thing around the pool is that we could catch free wi-fi.

We did snoop around and looked inside the other rooms that were a little more expensive around the bigger pool. They looked much better! Spacier, cleaner,... but more expensive and we didn't need a kitchenette as we would make sandwiches for our lunches and go out for supper. And frankly, we thought that the basic room would of been basic and enough for our buck - but it was below basic even not being fussy.

Also, one evening after going to the pool, we left our towels, cover-ups and bikinis out on the chairs outside of our room and for the first time in 10 years (as I always leave my bikini out to dry), we got our bikinis and cover-ups stolen! I would of thought it was the wind but even when we asked staff and the owners (and even looking around the hotel); they had not seen anything... Since we were almost alone in the motel that night as it was after labor day during the week, we came to the conclusion that they were stolen so please beware!...We then didn't feel safe and had to hide or bring with us any valuables.

As a conclusion, the location of the motel is excellent with the Rite-Aid right across the street, walkable distance to some great restaurants and a block and a half from the boardwalk but I would not return to this motel and not recommend it. I would of preferred to spend a little more to either get their better rooms or a better motel. Being older now and being able to pay ourselves a little luxury than when we were students, we should of gone with a better motel or should of booked earlier. This doesn't remove the fact that the owners are very kind and don't discriminate "non-family" reservations.

Room Tip: Rooms at pool side look much more bigger, modern and cleaner
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Guest, thanks very much for your balanced and informative review. We are sorry about the window and regret not being notified about that as we could have fixed that in a jiffy! We also regret that you were not happy with the smaller room for we could have upgraded you to a different room if we had known. At the time of your booking, we had discussed all the room types by phone and email as well as quoted discounted totals for the small and larger rooms, and because you had indicated a desire not to pay the extra cost, we offered the best possible deal as that of the BCY for four young adults. In fact, we were able to give you the lowest rate of any other four person booking for that weekend. It is true, the BPS and E units are bigger and a better location and the rates are higher. We always describe these options to potential guests making inquiries and let them choose whatever best suits their budget. And certainly, if you wish to pay more for an upgrade, that option is always open as long as the units are available at the time. Please feel free to ask us and we will be happy to make a room change for you.

As regards the bathing suit theft, we are sorry and we truly sympathize (we know bathing suits are expensive these days!) When personal belongings are left unattended, the risk of theft is always there and therefore we do not encourage guests to leave personal belongings unattended outside their rooms. Although the incident of theft has been extremely rare here (the Rite Aid being across the street and our close proximity to the board walk helps that), its impossible for us to guarantee the safety of unattended items.

Thanks again for your balanced review and constructive criticism. We appreciate your detailed feedback as it helps us make changes for the better.

Been to Royal Court Motel? Share your experiences!