“As Good As It Gets In Wildwood” 4 of 5 stars

Bolero Resort
3320 Atlantic Ave, Wildwood, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #43 of 77 Hotels in Wildwood
Jersey
“As Good As It Gets In Wildwood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

*First, let me mention that there is a hotel side and a motel side. This review is based on the hotel side.
*Second, the room was the luxury suite. Be forewarned, especially if you've never stayed here before, that the word 'luxury' is used loosely in Wildwood.

My wife and I were looking for a mini vacation when we booked at the Bolero. I chose it because the amenities such as the restaurant/bar, weight room, indoor pool, spa and steam room would be great alternatives if there was any inclement weather. It turned out to be a wise move as anyone who lives in the Northeast would know this has been a very strange, cool and damp June. It rained two of the three days, although not hard and the temperature never got past 73 degrees. I chose the luxury suite in particular because it was the only room with a jacuzzi, a nice touch for any couple. You do have to put down a deposit for the remotes which was a joke because they were coming apart. Both remotes had tape on them to hold the batteries in and they were completely worn out. On one of the remotes you could barely read the numbers. When I got my money back for returning them I felt like I should've got extra for having to use them.

When we entered the room it was noticeably clean. I made sure to check everything thanks to the reviews on this site. There is no iron so either bring your own or pack light. The bathroom and jacuzzi were updated, however the carpet was very dirty. I didn't notice right away but after walking around in the room for no more than an hour the bottom of my socks were turning dark brown. Luckily, I did have flip flops. Thanks again, Trip Advisor. The jacuzzi worked flawlessly and the water can get very hot. The steam shower needed maintenance. It took them awhile to get to my room but they were very nice and helpful once they arrived. The gentleman did get it to work and even asked the next day if everything was still ok when I saw him in the lobby. It worked for the remainder of the weekend although the button was messed up. In order to get the steam started I had to use my car key to hit the button properly (maintenance had to do this as well). FYI, it takes about 10-15 minutes before the steam starts.

The spa, steam room, gym and indoor pool were all on the 7th floor. We didn't use the spa becuase I thought it was overpriced. The pool was smaller than I expected. Just in case there is an outdoor pool as well. Both were clean. The gym was a decent size though. Most machines were in good shape but some had thick black tape to cover wear and tear that can of course be uncomfortable. The steam room was small fitting at most 10 people. By the way, its co-ed for anyone who may be a bit shy. During my time there it was never busy on the seventh floor so using its facilities was not a problem for us but I can imagine the frustration if it were. One thing that certainly wasn't small was their restaurant, the Blue Water Grille. It's huge by comparison and probably the nicest feature there. Friday and Saturday featured a DJ but I warn you that if you're on the first three or four floors you will hear the music until they're done, which is about 2 am.

If my rating seems a bit high based on my review, it's because I have to put it on a curve in comparison to the rest of Wildwood. Rating anywhere here to say NYC or even AC would be foolish. You wouldn't measure a Kia against a Lincoln would you? It kills me when I see so many disgruntled reviews as if they were expecting the RItz-Carlton. Despite the dirty floors, remote deposit fees and maintenance issues this is probably as good as it gets for Wildwood and overall it was enjoyable. Growing up in NJ I have stayed in a lot of places here and I don't know of any other hotel/motel in the area with these kind of features, not to mention this many. If you're looking for a quick overnight stay and/or you know you'll be on the beach/boardwalk all day then don't waste your time or money but if you're looking to get a little more out of your trip, can't or don't want to swim in Jerey waters or you just need a quick romantic getaway then stay here. We plan to do so again before the summer is over.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed at the Bolero the weekend of 4/18/09-4/19/09, which was during a major cheerleading competition. Upon check-in, there was a 20 minute line stretching across the lobby, mostly people attending the competition. The people behind the desk seemed kind but didn't seem to care too much about the customers.

Parking was very tight and it's hard to get a spot in the main lot, you may have to park on the street. The lot has only one entrance/exit and is very narrow, so be careful.

There are two sections of the hotel, the motel wing, and the hotel wing (which is serviced by only one elevator). Our room was in the motel section. However, it is only a block from the boardwalk and near most of the piers, there's also several restaurants located in the vicinity of the hotel.

The room had 2 beds and a sofabed. Most of the room looked like it hadn't been refurbished wince the early 80's. However, the kitchenette had newer (albeit cheap) fixtures, such as newer countertops, cabinets, appliances, etc. The kitchenette included a double sink, fridge, and microwave. The bathroom, like the kitchenette, looked like it had been renovated sometime in the 2000s, which was good compared to other area hotels.

The room was clean, but many fixtures were broken or in bad shape (There was a cover missing from an electrical outlet, among other things).

The adjacent restaurant was good but a bit pricey. On the top floor was a large fitness center, spa, and indoor pool, which had windows on all sides and had amazing views. The indoor pool had two main pools and two hot tubs. The outdoor pool area had the same amount, but wasn't opened during April.

The hotel wasn't bad, and the amenities was nice, but don't expect a Ritz-Carlton when you book a room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and his family have been traveling to wildwood every year for 20 plus years during the summer. He and I sometimes visit in the winter, just the two of us - to see the beach with snow. I was a little unsure of booking this hotel because of the other reviews, but my husband and I are glad we did!! Walked around in my white socks and they were still white when I took them off. The hotel rooms were not that dated compared to some of the others in the area. Every where we went in the hotel was neat and clean and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Langhorne, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We were 2 couples at the Bolero for a Valentine's weekend. I was worried about staying at this hotel after reading some previous posts, since we the wives were surprising our husbands with this weekend. We couldn't have enjoyed our weekend more!! Yes, the furniture in the rooms are "dated", but having stayed in many WW locations - this was not a surprise. The room was comfortable and clean. The view from our room was amazing - and could be enjoyed from our jacuzzi!! The biggest surprise was the food in the Blue Water restaurant - it was fabulous! We did the Escape Package weekend and would certainly book it again!! Thanks Bolero!

• Liked — Restaurant food quality
  • Disliked — Slow elevator and deposit for remotes
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

The staff was abrupt, abrasive, unaccomodating and basically nasty, and the room wasn't much better. The staff acted like they were doing us a favor by letting us stay there. They pushed for a more expensive room than we wanted claiming all the other rooms were rented (in December??). The room was furnished with old furniture which looked like it was from a garage sale, the couch was worn out and stained, the carpet was filthy and old, and the windows were filthy too. The shower has yellow water, and pressure and water temperature surged GREATLY during a shower. The towels provided were threadbare, and yellowed. They looked like old towels that were originally $1.59 at Walmart. A deposit is required for remote (absolutely ridiculous). The whole place really needs to be cleaned better and needs new carpeting. Funny part is, their rates are not cheap!
The ONLY good part is the spa; it's old too but it was beautiful and what a view. The locker room was ancient and not exactly spotless either but the guy that works the spa is the only friendly employee we encountered there. He even smiled.
There is only one elevator is and it is pathetically slow and not adequate for a building that size.

• Liked — Location and spa.
  • Disliked — Just about everything.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennyslvannia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

We recently stayed at the Bolero while we were in Wildwood for an event. I have to say it was one of the worse hotels I've ever stayed. I've stayed at economy chain hotels that were much nicer and where the staff was much friendlier. We stayed in one of the "luxury"rooms w/ a jacuzzi tub. To begin, although the room was clean, it was extremely outdated .... very old linens and furniture, including the very old, very uncomfortable King size bed (which wasn't really a King since my 6 foot tall spouse's feet hung off the bed). The whole room had an awful, musty smell ... like a grandmother's house. Smelled like it had been a smoking room at one time, even though it was marked a non-smoking room. The jacuzzi tub was disgusting .... I turned it on and a yellowish brown ring formed around the tub. I question the last time it'd been cleaned. When you check in, I was surprised that they hand you the two TV remotes and warn you that you'll be charged for them if they are not returned. The room was in extreme disrepair .... the bed was old and uncomfortable, the cable wire was frayed and disconnected on one of our TVs, the water temperature and pressure constantly changed while you attempted to take a shower, there were awful banging/hissing noises throughout the night, and one of the doors on the TV stand was missing. And on top of all this, the staff was very uninviting, rude and unaccomodating. When I saw the state of the bed upon arrival, I requested several additional pillows (I suffer from a very bad back). When I called, the front desk person said, "You need FIVE pillows?!! You're kidding?" I explained the bad back (which I shouldn't have had too explain), and they said they'd see what they could do. They brought us two ..... claimed that's all they could spare. To top it all off, when we left, we explained our concerns to the manager ..... and unlike any hotel I've every stayed at they did not express concern or offer to compensate us for our inconveniences. I warn you, if you're visiting Wildwood, stay away from the Bolero!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bethlehem pa.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

This year they had a live band & a dj for the fireman's convention which is fine, but they have no consideration for their guests. The music & base were so loud that doors on the fourth floor were rattling, pictures on the walls were shaking, & change was falling of the tables. When many people complained, they said there is nothing they could do about it. I've been staying there for 19 years for the convention, & if I could find another room in the area for that weekend, I would go somewhere else. Unfortunately, everywhere else is booked up. Guess thats why they can rip you off with their prices. Vacationer's beware, this place is not worth the money they charge you. Take it from me, i've been ripped of for almost two decades!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bolero Resort? Share your experiences!