“Best of both worlds” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Wildwood
Cape May, New Jersey
“Best of both worlds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went to this hotel for a getaway. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. The room was very clean and the decor went with the the theme of the building. I live in the area and know when the Starlux was built and know it is a new hotel compared to the actual Doo Wop era hotels in the area. However those older hotels can lack amenities and can have a certain "used" appearance.I think the Starlux is a best of both worlds solution.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Beacon, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

we booked at the starlux this year and we were very happy with this hotel , we have been going to wildwood for years and found this hotel and booked it. very clean , close to the boardwalk , nice staff , all around good family place. now for the minor issues small pool but warm and clean , the room was small , and it was priced a bit high....but it is a nice place to stay and you get good deals on the waterparks and rides thru this hotel.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first trip to Wildwood. We needed space for 6 and wanted to be close to the beach and boardwalks without renting multiple rooms. The Starlux met these requirements. Five minute walk to the beach/ocean and a short walk to the action on the boardwalk. We rented the two bedroom suite (#312) for a week and I can honestly say we had a great experience at the Starlux. The wife and I enjoyed the 50's decor and theme and they pulled it off very well.

While the regular hotel rooms are a bit small as we saw from some people we met in the hot tub, the suites are absolutely perfect for our family. For a week the Starlux was a comfortable home base for the kids during the day when they needed to chill out in between all the activities of the day. Each room in the suite had its own air conditioner, flat screen TV in the living room and tube televisions in each bedroom with basic cable which was adequate. There were DVD players in each room so if you have younger kids bring the DVD's to keep them occupied if you want a little TV time. The free WIFI was fast during peak usage and faster during off hours. I tested 6 MB down and up. The hotel is also in a OptimumWIFI zone so if you are a Cablevision/Optimum subscriber you have free WIFI as well. The hotel was also extremely clean and well kept up with maintenance. In fact, my wife and I commented on how clean and fresh the rooms was when we moved in and how the daily maid service was consistently top notch.

While this is a relatively small property the accommodations were perfect and the hotel met all of our needs. Hanging out on the private balcony the suites have is so worth it!!!!! The swimming pool and hot tub were kept very clean all week while we were there. We spent one day entirely at the pool and there were constant checks by the employees on the condition of the area. If a guest left anything garbage (cups, plates, crumbs on the tables etc..) a staff member would promptly clean it up. You can also tell that they take care of their building maintenance issues. Nothing was run down and broken. You can tell that outstanding guest service, maintenance, and cleaning are high priorities. A note about the breakfast the hotel offers is that it is very simple. It's just small bagels, muffins, coffee, and orange juice. The kids complained (don't they always) that there was no cereal, but we had a suite stocked with utensils, plates, cups etc.. so we just had to stop by the grocery store and pick up our own cereal and milk for the kids morning breakfasts.

If you are going to be hitting the water parks and boardwalks daily for your stay you must go to the front desk and get the multi-day passes when you check in or shortly after check in. It is a huge savings and the front desk staff very patiently explained all the different options there are. We used the one day pass for $45 each which gets you unlimited water park access (2 parks) and unlimited non-thrill rides at all the piers. Our kids don't do well with thrill rides so we opted out of the multi-day passes, but there is no question that if you are going to hit the parks every day of your vacation you will save lots of money with a pass.

We will be back again in 2014 and without question we will stay in a suite. If you just look a the daily cost of a room you will see they are slightly more expensive than other hotels. Do not let this deter you. When you add up all the "extras" such a free bikes to ride, free laundry facility, and all the amenities available to guests and you utilize them it is actually less expensive at the end of the day. We have found our new home away from home each summer when we stay at the NJ shore.

Room Tip: If you have a large family and want to stay in one room.... a two bedroom suite at the Starlux is yo...
West Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our first time going to wildwood. I found the star lux after hours of looking and reading reviews. We liked that the hotel had a retro feel to it it's located close to the beach and not far from the board walk. The room was very clean and I saw staff walking around all the time checking the pool levels and keeping things clean. The staff we met were friendly.My only complaint is the beds please please star lux upgrade your beds I was exhausted from not having a good night sleep.

• Stayed August 2013
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My 2 daughters & I stayed in 304 with 2 queen beds - and there was room for little else. Of course we don't travel with the intent of spending a lot of time in the room so we dealt with it - but be prepared - and be organized in the room or you'll spend too much time searching for things! The staff was nice, rooms clean, and everything pretty much as advertised; and I think the beds are better than my own. We loved the location and walked everywhere - but others may decide the $3 tram is the way to go since this is close to the southern end of the boardwalk. The breakfast was limited, mini muffins, danish and bagels (like the ones you buy in the grocery store - must be toasted!), coffee, tea and juice. If its nice out take your breakfast to a table next to the pool. It was good enough to hold you till lunch but not very healthy. We opted to borrow bikes our last morning and ate breakfast at Pompeo's at the north end of the boardwalk and were very glad we did. We also took advantage of borrowing a beach chair one day - nice extra! Another plus is this motel is a Morey property and you can save money by buying a ride bracelet for the 3 Morey's Piers through them ($45 for one day) which we did. Overall we loved the location and convenience, considered it a little pricey (but not bad if you take advantage of all they have to offer) and would consider staying here again - just be prepared for the small room size or consider one of their suites!

Room Tip: I prefer 3rd or 4th floor. Consider a suite if roominess is important.
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband booked a last minute getaway for our anniversary. He booked us one of the vintage Airstream Trailers on the StarLux property. What a hoot! The Airstream Trailers (2 of them) and the Cottage are situated across the street from the main hotel. What a pleasant surprise! The trailers are well appointed and included all of the amenities you would find in a standard hotel room (e.g. hairdryer, toiletries, iron, etc.). Our trailer (bigger one on the right) included a small but useful refrigerator, small microwave, and basics such as cups and plates (we didn't use) (no stove). A grill is available for use on the small but quaint patio area in between the two Airstreams for those who want to cook. The trailer is surprisingly spacious for 2 people as the typical dinette area has been re-designed as a seating lounge (sofa). The StarLux even thought to include 2 cute TV trays in the trailer if you choose to dine in. I was a little skeptical about the bathroom situation in the trailer but to my surprise, the toilet worked well (no clogging) and the shower while small, included a shower seat (great for shaving your legs ladies). My husband and I had to hold the hand held shower off and on while showering (there is a place to hang it but the angle was a little off for rinsing off) but the pressure was good and the water was nice and hot. We have stayed in 5 star hotels, and the water pressure and temperature was actually better than some of those places! I appreciated the Philosophy brand products that were given in the rooms. The Cottage even has an outdoor shower, also appointed with Philosophy brand products if you wish to shower off the day's sand outdoors. The bed in the Airstream was firm but that was expected. I had difficulty slepping the first night, but slept very well on night 2. That was probably just me though as I have a hard time "unwinding" at first. The Airstream was clearly labeled for "newbie" use. All light switches were labeled. Be sure to look behind the curtains as I missed some of the light switches on day 1. The toilet is also labeled with directions. I'll spare you the details but suffice it to say a child could use the toilet without problems. The linens were fresh and clean daily. Ample towels were supplied (4 bath, plus washclothes). I hate when hotels only give you 2 towels per day as we often shower in the morning and before going to dinner. Note- Ask the front desk staff for pool towels, they are not by the pool. I love that the hotel offers free bikes (and apparently laundry machines too which we didn't need). My husband suggested we go for a morning ride, which I initially wasn't too keen on (just woke up). But he was right.... biking in the early morning was so relaxing and easy. The pool is small but heated. The hot tub was actually hot and the jets were quite forceful, not at all like the glorified hot "pools" you get in many hotels. Location can't be beat. 1 block away from the Boardwalk. All in all a great, fun, retro trip, memories that will last a lifetime. We will have to bring the kids next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
gibbstown, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Needed a place to stay close to Morey's Pier as I had to greet 300 people the next morning for a company outing. I could have done much worse than the StarLux. Check in was quick and painless. The room was cozy and nifty (had to drop a 50's expression in here somewhere). The place offered everything I needed: location, comfort and cleanliness. The beds were great, the pool and hot tub just enough to take the edge off a busy day at the Pier. Not lavish by any stretch but that was not what I expected or needed. Great experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to The StarLux Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!