“StarLux Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Wildwood
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“StarLux Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very clean, quiet, across the street from the boardwalk. The staff were awesome. The rooms were beautiful. I'll go back there again and again. My children loved the place. Everyone made us feel welcomed. The StarLux Hotel is very comfortable most of all it was affordable. This was the best place I've ever stayed at in Wildwood. Thank you Mr. Clark.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our second time staying at the StarLux. Our 5 year old son loves it! The pool is great and it's walking distance from the boardwalk. It's clean, they offer breakfast every morning and Jackie at the front desk really makes you feel at home. There's also a great ice cream place right across the street! Great place to vacation with the kids! Looking forward to going back next year and the years to come!!

Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We decided on a Sunday to take our kids on a VERY last minute vacation on Thursday---our first family vacation, in fact. Our older kids have been asking for years to go to a beach overnight and for years we told them we couldn't pull it off. This year, for some reason, I decided to take on the challenge and figure out if there was a way we could take them on a surprise trip to the shore. So, on a strict, fairly low budget, I searched. I had no idea where we were going that would allow us nice accommodations near a beach all while reasonably priced. Living in Maryland all we knew was Ocean City and how expensive that could get, especially mid-July. I literally searched ALL day Saturday and Sunday and somehow found Wildwood. I've never been to NJ on vacation before so I had no idea what we were getting into. I went purely off of online reviews and prayed we'd be able to keep two pre-teens and an 18 month old entertained all at the same time. The next obstacle was finding a hotel/house with at least two separate sleeping areas so we'd be able to put the baby down without out the rest of us having to go to sleep at the same time. I found the Starlux site off of the "stay and play" portion of Morey's Piers website. I was hesitant to say the least. The website was nice but that didn't mean the rooms were really what they looked like in the pictures. I read lots of reviews and narrowed it down to two similar suites at the Starlux and Blue Palms. We were limited on room style choices since it was last minute, but we chose the Starlux because it looked like it had a table, a bigger fridge, and the layout would work better for our family.

We stayed in room 310. The layout was a little different than what we saw online but still doable. It was a big/small room. If it was just 2-3 people it would be a good sized room. Fitting 2 adults, a 10, 11, and 18 month old in that space was tight, but doable. We brought my son's pack and play and had to squeeze it in the closet area (an area hidden by a curtain--sounds shady but wasn't). We gave the older two the queen bed and my husband and I took the sofa bed (also a queen, I believe) with the thinking we would take my son in the living/kitchen area and keep him occupied in the morning until the older kids woke up. That was good in theory---although there was a pocket door separating the areas, the bedroom area got quite warm when the door was shut. So, my husband took our son out every morning to Britton's bakery (good apple fritters and donuts) for coffee and donuts. It gave the rest of us an extra two hours or so to sleep. Housekeeping did put the sofa bed back into a sofa everyday so when we got back from the pier we were able to use the space as a living area. The table only sat 3 but it was fine for a quick meal in to save us some money. There was a small microwave, a fairly large (medium sized? Bigger than dorm style, but smaller than full size) fridge/freezer combo, a small sink w/ soap/rag, silverware, dishes, etc.

The sofa bed was surprisingly comfortable. Firm---we thought when we first got in in we were going to hate it but when we woke in the morning we both said we slept great. Much more supportive than any other sofa beds I've slept on in the past. The kids said the bed was firm, but comfy. The decor was cute---kinda retro. Seems like it was probably recently remodeled. The kids loved the lava lamps and the other little details near the windows. There were some things like the corners of wallpaper peeling in the bathroom but that didn't seem like a big deal. Especially to me because normally I'm a total freak about sleeping in hotels...to the point I bring my own little sleep sack to sleep and pillow so i don't have to touch the bed. The room was very, very clean. The things like the wallpaper and tile color (a gold/white check) just seemed like the building was little older but not dirty. The sheets were clean and the blanket was fresh (they gave us brand new ones) and nice and fleecy. The comforter on the bed was covered by a duvet--not a nasty bedspread. I think the bath products were all Philosophy brand. The shower wasn't wonderful----little bit of low pressure but that worked out in our favor after we got sunburned and didn't want to be pelted by high water pressure. It wasn't like a trickle---but if you're used to really strong flow you're not going to get it -- at least in room 310.

We didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Closed a little early, in my opinion. I think at 9 or 930pm. There was a continental breakfast of mini muffins, bagels, danishes, juice and coffee. It was enough to hold us over til lunch time. I saw they loaned out bikes/helmets and beach supplies (boogie boards, umbrella, etc.) All of these things were limited but it didn't seem like ppl were waiting in line either. They offered board games as well as a mini arcade room, but we didn't use them.

We bought the stay and play pack---$70 each person for 3 nights (the baby was free). So from 3pm Thursday thru 6pm Sunday we could use all of the piers which was worth every penny. We only used it Fri and Sat and that was worth it!! The kids LOVED both water parks and there was enough to keep all three kids entertained. The older kids loved the rides too. I'd highly encourage buying the tickets for the piers. It was a good walk up to all the piers....but possible if you didn't want to pay for parking. We found some lots that were only $6/day so we found it worth the $ to drive closer to the pier instead of lugging everything up (we took our lunches w/ us). And you can go to the beach from the piers....really is an all in one package.

All of the staff was unbelievably friendly. And not like "I have to be friendly" friendly but genuinely friendly. Like you've known them all your life. Definitely would return and recommend. If you have more than two kids though I'd recommend a suite/cottage, etc.

Other recommendations:
Brittons Bakery
Macks pizza near the 2nd pier (SOOOO good!!--we liked better than Sam's Pizza Palace near 3rd pier)
Mad Batter for breakfast in Cape May (10 min ride)
Fudge Kitchen (in Cape May, one maybe in Wildwood?)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Exactly what we were looking for .
Kids love it, and we as a parents feel very comfortable we the kids ar the pool. Perfect. We can't wait to go back.
P.S. just one thing, I think that the breakfast should be till 11am instead of 10am. When the kids are tired for walking the day before is so hard to wake them up so early to have breakfast but overall happy with our experience.

• Stayed July 2013
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Staying at the StarLux made our vacation the best. The suite fit our family so well as it was comfortable, clean and looked out to the ocean! The staff was friendly, helpful and wonderful! The pool and hot tub were awesome! Borrowing sand toys for the beach was great! The breakfast was a such a treat. The chance to save money with the "Stay and Play Pass" for the boardwalk was a hit with both the kids and us as parents. We can't say enough good things about the StarLux! We will be back and think you should too!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've been going to Wildwood since the early 1980's, and I have been used to the fact that the motels in the area are pretty bare bones. Plus, with a family of 6, it is tough to find places where we can stay comfortably without going to the Crest or North.

I've been curious about the Starlux for years, but had always been staying somewhere else. But this year I stayed with my family for the first time and loved it.

The staff was wonderful; the room was spacious, clean, and fun; the pool was really nice; and it was a big plus to have the game room and breakfast. Not to mention the free washer and dryer - very helpful for a big crew.

And there was free wifi, a big fridge, microwave, sink, as well as dishes, plates and silverware.

Plus, it was a nice perk, even though we didn't take advantage, to have the option to borrow bikes, beach stuff, etc.

The two bedroom suite fit us nicely, and we had a balcony with a view of the boardwalk and Rio Grande Ave.

Nice location, too.

I can't see staying anywhere else when we go back.

Room Tip: Get the two bedroom suite to fit a big family - our family of 6 was comfortable.