“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Wildwood
Chantilly, Virginia
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I'm not sure why this hotel isn't at the top of the list. We got a one-bedroom suite which was plenty of room for the four of us. The hotel is within a block of the sand and you can see the Wildwoods sign from the parking lot. It's a very clean hotel, quiet and if you are running the air or fan you can block any outside noise from the street or hotels/properties to the back of the Starlux. We didn't hear a thing! The pool is very clean. The hot tub was not as hot as expected, but relaxing nonetheless. They have a game room which we used several times. We did not end up getting the discounted tickets for Morey's Piers like we thought we would, but it was still a really great value! They have lots of stuff for you to borrow including buckets and shovels for beach sand, beach chairs and bicycles. Note: walking on the boardwalk before 11 a.m. may get you run over by one of the thousands of bicycles.

I only have a couple of minor complaints. Starlux should invest in room darkening curtains. The outside lights come on at night at they are very bright. Current window treatments do not block out the light. Also, inside lighting when needed is not particularly bright in the bedroom or the living room area and we kept hitting our heads on two of the lights that hung down lower.

Other than that I thought this was a great hotel. This is our second trip to Wildwood and everything except the Days Inn are Mom-and-Pop hotels. We would definitely stay at the Starlux again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor facing the pool and it was great. It was a one bedroom suite and ther...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Elkridge, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nites last week during our family's 1st trip to Wildwood, NJ. I'll summarize the pros and cons. Overall, a great stay.

Pros:
Heated pool to 80+ degree and hottub which I used almost everyday. This is the best amenities of this hotel.
Hotel also provides complimentary bikes, beach umbrella and chairs (one of the few places that do)
Clean room, thick large towels, shampoo/conditioner, hair dryer, coffee powder in the room
Kitchenette is well equipped with microwave, large, new refrigerator, coffee maker (including decaf powder), toaster, utencils. I took all these for granted until I stayed at Sahara Motel.
Close to Wildwood sign and close to boardwalk
Bed are very comfortable, including the pull out sofa bed in the living room

Cons:
Front desk lady is nice but the one guy is not very friendly. Staff are mixed.
Complimentary breakfast is very, very basic. Plain bagel and mini muffin, coffee and juice, nothing fancy
No oceanview except a side view from our balcony
Price is expensive relative to other motels in the area, especially for June which is a lower price season of summer

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The StarLux was like finding a needle in a haystack. The location was perfect! Barely a 5 minute walk to the Boardwalk -- in fact you can see the Wildwoods sign and beach balls from the hotel. The Convention Center was literally in our back yard. We couldn't have asked for a better spot.

We stayed in one of the suites and the first thing my mother said was the room was much bigger than the rooms they had when we visited Wildwood as children. And the game room had Ms. Pacman! :-)

Jacquie was the best hostess one could ask for. She gave recommendations for dining, allowed me to use a bike lock on my daily complimentary bike rides, she helped arrange for a scooter to get around the boardwalk. An absolute jewel! Give her a bonus!

I look forward to returning to this location. I really enjoyed my stay. Thank you!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Let me start by saying the Jersey Shore is a culture and many people go there yearly as a family ritual. I am not one of those people. However, I have gone to the shore a handful of times with my family over the years. This was the first time I stayed at the Starlux and I was impressed by it.
Check in: Quick. I arrived early and my room wasn't ready but they still did everything they could to accomodate me. They gave me a parking pass and told me to feel free to use the pool while we waited. My family parked and killed time on the boardwalk then returned and we ended up being checked in 2 hours early. I appreciated them getting the room ready and letting us check-in in advance of check-in time.
Pool: This hotel has a great pool. It only goes up to 4 feet but that was great for the kids and I didn't have to worry too much about them getting in the deep end. The hotel also had plenty of life jackets in various sizes on display by the pool, which was needed for my 7 year old niece who is not a strong swimmer. I especially appreciated the hot tub and I got in it at the end of the day when it started getting a little cooler. It was the perfect end to a busy day on the boardwalk.
Room: It was your standard motel room but it was very clean which is important to me. We had a regular double beds room. Came with microwave and minifridge. The most surprising thing to me is that the complimentary bathroom products are Philosophy brand! For those into beauty products you know that's a nice touch. I've stayed in many luxury resorts and have never seen Philosphy products as the complimentary bathroom swag!
Location: The hotel is a block from the entrance to the boardwalk where the large "Wildwood" sign is. It is very close to the convention center. It is a short walk to the first of the three Morey's Piers but about a 10-15 minute walk to the last of the three Morey's Piers. Speaking of the Piers, since the resort is affiliated with the amusment park operator there is a discount on wristbands for hotel guests. It is approx. $20 cheaper per person than the published rate.
The only thing I did not like about my stay was that my neighbors (who looked to be late teens or early 20s) were up late and made a lot of noise. I was with two young children so that was annoying. However I have recently learned that High School seniors flock to the shore after graduation unsupervised and we all know how that can result in late nights. I don't fault the hotel for that and I noticed a lot of young kids at the other hotels nearby too so I probably couldn't have avoided that no matter where I stay. Perhaps I wouldn't come to Wildwood during the last few weeks of school again but I would def come later in the season and I would stay here again.

Tip: I was only able to stay 1 night due to my schedule. The website requires minimal nights to book during peak season weekends, but if you call and speak to someone they might be able to accomodate a 1 night stay. They accomodated me with no hassle.

Room Tip: If you book in advance, try to get one of their two cute vintage Airstream Trailors. They were so re...
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This place is so much fun! I loved all the retro décor. Rooms are very clean and they are small. You aren't going to spend much time in it anyway. The beach is across the street! They lent us bikes, beach chairs, beach toys. The pool is large and as cute as the rest of the property. Hope you like Doo Wop music. They play it at the pool and it is a little loud. The staff is very friendly and I bet they would have turned it down if I asked. But I felt like Annette Funicello and was loving the whole vibe.
Breakfast is very limited to Danish and bagels. But why wouldn't you want to go up the street to Uncle Bill's Pancake House anyway?

new jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Worst experience ever!
Stay there with my family for 2 day and 1 night and I will never recommend this hotel at all. This hotel does NOT care about guest SECURITY. In two different occasions two of my daughter when to the front desk and ask for the KEY of the room and they give then a new key without asking for any information or an adult, the only thing they ask is for that room number. But the worst thing happens when in the lobby of the hotel. Some guys come in to da lobby (not guess of that hotel) and stole my iPhone 5 from the sofa of the lobby. After reviewing the security camera and verify what happen they still didn`t do anything for me at all. When I spoke to the General Manager of this hotel
He Said” Well there is nothing that I can do about that,!".
he didn't offer any apologies, he offered me nothing, he didn't assure me that the level of security at his hotel was safe, he didn't make me feel safe at this hotel!!!!! this was the worst stay I've ever experienced!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
StarLuxManager, General Manager at The StarLux Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
This Guest reported that her cell phone was stolen from our lobby. I immediately had signs posted around the hotel for a 'Missing Cell Phone w/ Reward" notice. We reviewed the security footage and it was true. The guest left her bright white phone completely unattended and someone came along and stole it. We could not clearly see a face, but our staff was on the lookout for someone with the clothing the thief was wearing.

This guest clearly knows that she left the phone alone in a public space. She clearly was telling me that I should pay her for it.

I absolutely stopped everything I was doing and gave her situation a couple of hours of undivided attention. I shared my sadness that this terrible thing happened. I expressed how wrong it was for this theft to have happened. But, I did not pay her for her phone.

Regarding this guests comments about our room key security. The desk attendant clearly verified that the youth was a guest of that room before issuing her a key.

I am very sorry for this lady's loss.
Center Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was our second time staying at the StarLux in Wildwood. We rented the 2-bedroom suite since there were 5 of us, and it was absolutely wonderful to stay there for the weekend again! The employees are still fantastic in every way! I really wish that there were more events that we would attend at the convention center, which is across the street, just so we could stay at the StarLux more than once a year! LOL! It's so convenient for our annual purposes, so friendly, so clean, and so retro......we absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The StarLux Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!