“Super Weekend We'll Be Back!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Le Voyageur Motel
232 E. Andrews Ave, Wildwood, NJ 08260-4505   |
Ranked #8 of 77 hotels in Wildwood
Pennsauken
“Super Weekend We'll Be Back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Had a great weekend stay while at the Italian festival in Wildwood Location was great, Cleanliness great Owner great personality Maids very friendly. We go to many of the weekend events in Wildwood and will be staying Here from now on. Looking forward to spending some summer season time here also bringing the family. Walking distance to Restaurants, stores, Boardwalk, Convention center, Beach. The Car stayed Parked all weekend. Rooms had all you could need refriderator microwave stove table chairs sofa several TV's etc. etc. etc. Coffee & newspaper in the morning to get your day started on a positive note Soda available all day in hospitality room Sun Deck & Bar-BQ for your convenience if desired wonderful Place to Stay

Joe & Ann Taylor

Room Tip: I was in about 8 different rooms and all were excellent none of my friend had any problem
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I just stayed this past week from Tuesday thru Friday. The staff was super friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The rooms are very clean and provided great space for us. The pool and all other outside areas are very clean and inviting. Very centrally located within walking distance to the boardwalk and many great restaurants. We will be back. Thanks Tim and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newport, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

PROS: Super clean and easy beach/boardwalk access. Also close to all night Rite Aid and a couple of decent eateries. Great pool. AWESOME Parking. Great BBQ facilities and lots of patio space for eating outside.

CONS: The AC unit is mounted in the back bedroom of the kitchen suites, so to keep the front room cool you have to freeze out the back room. Wouldn't have minded if the afternoon poolside music show was omitted from the program, but at least they wrapped it up in the early afternoon.

OVERALL: Great experience, wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Norristown Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I just returned from a weekend stay at Le Voyageur in Wildwood and I must say that as a guest who has been staying at this motel since BEFORE Dennis & Grace were owners, the review posted by John M from NY is disturbing,childish and filled with prejudiced innuendos. My whole family and myself will miss Dennis and Grace and on a personal note both of my children and especialy my grand-child will miss both "Aunt Grace and "Uncle Dennis", however the new owner Tim was very accomodating and pleasant and I assume that it was his father who had the free coffee and tea made by 7:00 AM both days we were there was also the same. We stayed in the house which is available to rent for a larger group such as we were 6 adults and 2 children and had zero problems, The house was clean and there is a TV in the main room as well as one in each of the 2 bedrooms as well as the upstairs sleeping accomodations. We went to the boardwalk and within 2 hrs, we came back to beds made, and bathroom replenished with supplies. Fresh dishtowls and wash cloth. I admit that the soap that John complained so passionatly about was small as to fit in your hand. However since I was not hoping to take it with me or use it to bathe with in a tub, it served the purpose for which it was intended, to wash my hands. This weekend was Irish weekend as well as classic car weekend. We have been in Wildwood at this motel for past 7 yrs on this weekend and I can tell you that the town gets a little rowdy especially in the center of town, but the motel was quite quiet. As far as the pool being heated, we swam in the pool on Saturday 22nd of Sept and the water was comfortable. We have been at this motel in May,July and Aug over the years and in Aug when John was there you really do not need the pool heated. The temperatures are warm. I assume that John was expecting a hot tub experience. As far as someone urinating on the street, not a good experience, but this could happen anywhere and I assume that once they were done, they moved on. Now If they urinated on the motel property or on John's door, I can see his point. In summary, the new owner Tim was cordial, accomodating, and eager to help. By the way when we made reservations for this weekend, Tim answered the phone and introduced himself as the owner and was very cordial. We recvd the receipt for our deposit within 5 days of writing the check. As we were leaving, I asked if we could leave our cars parked in the lot as we were going on the boardwalk after we checked out. Tim assured us that there was no problem and they could be parked ther all day if we chose. In summary, we will continue to go to this motel and I am sure that our experience in staying at Le Voyageur will be just as pleasant and rewarding in the years to come as it has been in the past 30 years that we have been going there. Also there is a great little restaurant called Key West on the same block as the motel with excellent breakfast fare and good service. I only hope that John M from NY keeps his word and does not return to this gem of a motel.

Room Tip: I would ask of the availability of the house if you are a larger party, It has a full kitchen as wel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Herndon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have been coming to the Le Voyageur Motel for the Getaway Weekend Package for the past 15 years. We love this location because the rooms and pool are always spotless mainly due to the dedicated staff and owners. Dennis and Grace (previous owners) always made sure it was a family friendly atmosphere at all times and we feel comfortable that the new owners will carry-on this tradition.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Butler, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have been staying here at this Motel for the last 5 years. The hotel has resently been sold. Grace still works at the Motel and Dennis is retired. Everything was the same as previous years. All of the Motel staff are friendly and nice. The Motel is clean and well mantained. We have always enjoyed are stays there. I heard the new own plans on installing an ellivator to accomidate guests. We look foward to our next trip down.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Northport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for the past 8 years. It has always exceeded our expectations, thanks to the previous owners, Dennis and Grace Krause.
Unfortunately, Dennis and Grace sold out last year to a new owner. We returned this year to see if there were any differences. Read on.................

First of all, I write this from the perspective of a person who has worked in the restaurant and hotel industry for 30 years and has spent a lifetime catering to customers. I understand how little things can make or break an experience, and I also understand what it means when you begin to see small downward changes in the quality of an establishment. It is almost never a good sign.

Bathroom soap is one of the cheapest aspects of running a hotel/motel. Dennis and Grace always used these fancy little soap bars, wrapped in fancy cellophane wrapping. My wife absolutely loved ‘em. I liked that they smelled like normal soap and I really appreciated that the owners cared enough about even the smallest of details of the stay to make it a better experience for their guests. But anyway, the point is, these little bars probably cost no more than 25 cents additional a room (over the cost of those cheesy little motel bars you can barely get the paper off of before it disintegrates in your hands). The cost for the better bars is not prohibitive, even if you multiply that by 30 rooms. But lets say it was a buck more a room. Okay, $30 bucks a night for the cost of a whole hotel that charges $159 a night. Its clearly not breaking the bank, another words. However, if you are the new owner of a motel and you try to cut costs by saving money on one of the cheapest things possible, it doesn’t bode well, because it means you’re eventually bound to cut the bigger yearly expenses that come your way, and it is something that signals to me, trouble.

For example:
The previous owners routinely had the motel swept for bedbugs with bed bug sniffing dogs. Huge expense.

The previous owners always had the motel pool heated, no matter what time of the season or it was used. Fuel; huge expense.

They previous owners employed a staff of about 12 housekeepers and maintenance people, for a 30 room motel. Overkill to be sure, but it kept the place spotless and that’s why everyone returns every year. Not a bit of dirt or dust anywhere. (ps despite my criticisms, the rooms are still spotless as of our last motel stay). Payroll; another huge expense.

Twice a year, they had a sausage roast for the guests, free of charge, along with a live band poolside. Not too expensive, but it costs a lot more then bathroom soap. And it was wonderful.

Now, how soon might it be before they cut the more expensive services? Hopefully never. AndI hope the new owners prove me wrong. But If you spend your time worrying about nickels and dimes, dollars are sure to follow. And it’s a shame really, because this was a very nice place to stay over the years.

On to the service aspect…..
Before I get into this, I'll give credit where the credit is due. The bathrooms and rooms are still spotless, as of our last stay this season and the place is in good physical repair.

Now, I mean this in the nicest way possible but the new owner has a lot to learn about running a motel. It seems like he doesn’t have the know-how. When I initially called to book the room, I was kept on hold for 10 minutes. I hung up. If I want service like that, I call my credit card company in India, not a motel in Wildwood, NJ. I got a call back and a voicemail a half hour later from the new owner. It took me 3 phone calls over 3 days to book this motel. That’s the wrong way to handle it. Dennis or Grace would have never kept you waiting and they would have had time for a friendly word with you in the meantime. Not this guy. Dennis and Grace understood, a lost call is a lost customer. But 26 years of motel-experience will tell you that. And Dennis and Grace had that experience and I think this young guy lacks it.

When we arrived, if it wasn’t for Grace, our needs wouldn’t have been taken care of. The owner was AWOL. The new owner lives on the premises, along with his extended family, but he wasn’t there. He is there early in the morning, then he leaves (I think to check on another hotel he owns, as I overheard him mention to a customer on the phone he could get them into a cheaper hotel in the Rio Grande area), and then comes back in the evening. Since Dennis and Grace sold the hotel to retire, I don’t expect she will be there much longer, and I think that the new owner will be overwhelmed when she departs, as he is clearly overwhelmed when she is there helping him.

During our stay, Tim, who is the son (there is a wife, two kids and a grandfather on the premises), was friendly and cordial, but he brushed off our concerns one evening when two droopy-panted thugs from Philly were publicly urinating ala testacoli exposed in front of the hotel, on their own car! I called to complain to him and he told us it wasn’t his responsibility to call the police because it wasn’t on hotel property (it was a literally a foot away from it) and could we please call the police for him. I was shocked. Again, the Dennis and Grace standard applies here. This would not have been their response at all. Dennis, an x-police sarge himself, would have handled it. Instead, I was left to call 911 from the hotel in room phone. The cops came and got rid of the thugz, thanks to me. But I should never have had to do that to begin with.

With D&G, there used to be 50’s music coming out of the system around the pool. Now its modern garbage. Not cool. I come to Wildwood for the 1950’s experience, not to hear P Diddy and 50 cents. I hear that garbage in NYC year round and desire to escape that when I come here. We also noticed minor debris around the pool during our stay. Again, the D&G standard applies. They were always keeping the place spotless. It wasn’t a huge difference, but again, I think it doesn’t bode well for the new standards the owners hold.

Additionally, the owners kids were swimming in the pool and made you feel like you were intruding - kinda like you were in their home. I understand they all live there, and it is their home, but there should be a level of understanding that guests are to be treated nicely by family, if the family is in the guest public spaces. His wife came out at one point to address the kids, didn’t acknowledge any of the guests at the pool, looked right over us and talked to her kids, then walked away. Again, the D&G standard applies. We are part of a family of guests that got used to being treated a certain way. And when that changes, those guests, like us, do not come back again but instead search for that friendly experience somewhere else.

It is worth noting that the motel is centrally located - right across the convention center on the boardwalk, but you have to walk past a few flea bag motels to get to the boardwalk. I've never had a problem with that, but just saying, the presence is there a block away. Despite that, you can't beat the location if you want to be close to the amusements but are also just far enough away, that you can only hear a light din of the noise coming from the screams of those on the thrill-rides on the piers.

Our family has enjoyed this wonderful motel over the years. It is with a heavy heart that we have decided not to return. But my personal experience with new owners and my understanding of the subtle signs of change, has led us to decide to stay elsewhere next year. I wish the new owners success and good luck and I hope they can learn to meet the high standards of service that Dennis and Grace set over the 26 years they owned and operated the motel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Le Voyageur Motel? Share your experiences!