“Best Seafood in Wildwood!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Kirksville, Missouri
“Best Seafood in Wildwood!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I don't know what's ticked off those other 2 reviewers from 2 days ago, probably competition spies?? I came here for the first time tonight I've been coming to Wildwood almost every year for many years and tried this Seafood restaurant for the first time tonight. The other reviewer said the Fried Flounder was too small? No, I received 2 big pieces that were the largest amount and freshest I've had in years!!! Also, the owner came to every table and checked to be sure everyone was happy. They have very high standards for the freshness of their fish. This restaurant is the BEST SEAFOOD RESTAURANT IN WILDWOOD, hands down!!

Reading, Pennsylvania
“worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We ate dinner on a Tuesday night and had to wait about 30 minutes, but it worth the wait. My husband said the crab cakes were one of the best he's had. I had the linguine (pescatorrre) with red sauce and that was excellent. If you are looking for fine dining, this is not your place...meals are served in takeout containers. Service was good. Lots of people were coming in for takeout. There aren't't many non-seafood items on the menu, so if you have picky kids this might not work for you.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I come originally from the Pittsburgh area. There if you order fried flounder you get about a 9" x4" piece about 3/4 thick! I figure at the shore, at a warf, I gotta get something close. No way! We're talking about 1/16" of flounder and 3/4" of breading on a 5" x 3" piece! Then crab chowder, white sauce, you'd expect to be creamy and mild. Instead I get a spicy curry broth that brought tears to my eyes. Why would you do that to a mild fish like crab? Usually you use spicy curry to disguise something you otherwise could not serve. Lastly, the crab cake was not very large nor had anything to distinguish it. All in all, a real disappointment. I thought I would get better at the shore, especially when I paid over $50 for mine and my wife's platters and the chowder!
Still, there were plenty of people there, so many less discerning folks evidently like their offerings.

Visited August 2014
candsshack, Manager at Crab and Seafood Shack, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Sorry your dinning experience was not a pleasurable one, that surely is not our wish. It is the 1st time a patron has brought a tape measure with him for diner; I must disagree with you concerning the size of our portions. I monitor every dinner that leaves our kitchen and our other cook prepares with the same consistency as I. On a full flounder order you receive a large piece, or sometimes two pieces, depending on their size(we always attempt to give more that less), at least 6 to 8 oz of fish. We do use a panko breading that is somewhat corser that others, but this gives you a better tasting of the fish and not the breading. If you combo your flounder with another fish selection, then you piece will be somewhat smaller, either way we attempt to deliver at least 8 oz of fish.

We do not use curry, never have and yours is the only complaint we have ever received concerning our white soup in our three years of business. Our crab cakes are prepared daily and each one consists of a full 4 oz, so a full order gets you 8 oz of crab cake.

I am sorry our food did not please you, our intention is to provide a pleasing dinning experience for everyone. I attempt to speak with every patron concerning their meal, I only wish you would have expressed your concerns at that time; we would have done everything we could to improve your experience.
Rutgers New Jersey
“How does this place get a high rating?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Not so good. Steamers were ok but the butter and garlic sauce was typical (overdone really). The corn was mushy. The bread to dip in the butter and garlic sauce was from a supermarket. If you are going to charge so much for food give me some decent bread. I got the lobster roll. Not traditional but again the bread used was so bad. Only redeming quality of the lobster roll was that is was all lobster. Its the same bread I use when making a sandwich at home. If you charge 15+ for a sandwich, it better have some decent bread. My wife had the broiled crab cakes which weren't terrible but again I've had better for less money. They ran out of fries and crab. A crab shack with no crab. We should have turned around at the door.

It has a very casual atsmophere. I don't mind casual but the walls were covered with plastic paneling that is normally used for sterile rooms. The only other place I have ever seen the material used is in doctors offices and janitors closets. When I go out to eat I like the place to have some type of atsmosphere, even if it is casual. Worst part about the restaurant is that is stunk of the cleaning solution they use. It's great that they are cleaning but they should not use such a pungent smelling cleaner. Unless the garlic and butter sauce was right under your nose the place stunk like Fabuloso.

I will not be returning to the restaurant and I am amazed that this place is rated so highly.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sorry your experience was not a pleasant one. Many people prefer our white, wine, butter sauce for our clams and mussels, this is our 1st complaint as to them being served overdone. We use only fresh jersey corn, it moves so quickly I cannot see it being mushy. Our rolls do not come from a supermarket, they are delivered daily from a local italian bakery, only wish we could be blessed with the bread you can get in your area-I have experienced the difference. As to our lobster rolls, we tell everyone that we use a potato hot dog roll(only roll we could find that was dense enough to handle the weight), the roll is made into a garlic bread, bits of real bacon are added, it is placed in a toaster oven and filled with lobster and served-this roll you can buy in a supermarket, I do daily. Our crab cakes are judged to be the best in the Wildwoods, sorry they did not please you.

We were very busy and did run out of crabs, it is difficult to predict the amount of crabs the public demands on any given day, I will only get enough that I can prepare fresh. Unfortunatly one can only do so much with a rented property, if our property is not suitable to you, then maybe you should visit another restaurant that suits you. We did use fabuloso to clean our tables, I find it to be a pleasant fragrence, we have discontinued the use of it due to your review. It is difficult to find a product that both cleans, disinfects and smells good. I wish you would have made your concerns known at your service time, we would have attempted to correct them and make your experience a more pleasant one. .
USA
“One of the Best Seafood Meals in Wildwood (BYOB;-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Our family ordered 50 Steamed Little Necks as appetizers, Jersey Fried Seafood Combo, Broiled Seafood Combo and Homemade Crab Cakes as main entrees, and Freedom Fries, Shack Fries, Cole Slaw and Baked Potato as side orders.
Little necks were delicious. The white wine garlic sauce was just right: not over-salted, not too much garlic. Eating those buns, that go with the dish, soaked in the sauce was divine. Broiled Seafood Combo was cooked to perfection. The flounder was flaky, but not falling apart. The shrimp and scallops were juicy, not overcooked compared to a lot of seafood restaurants. My husband was very happy with his crab cakes: all crab meat, cooked well too. And those Shack Fries with crab seasoning are a must. Yummy.
You can tell that people who run the business definitely care about their customers. The Chef came to our table and asked how was everything. He gave us some advice how to scoop that delicious sauce better.
If we ever go back to Wildwood, Crab and Seafood Shack will be our first place to stop to eat.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere