“Best gryo on the boardwalk” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Hamburgers, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Lehigh Valley Pa
“Best gryo on the boardwalk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Went to Route 66 on June 25 20013. The owner greeted us at the door and seated us quickly.
The gryo was the best I had on the boards and I have been eating them for the last 10 years up and down the boardwalk. The fries were pretty good to. When we left I told the owner that he was doing something right and was very pleased by my comment. It is worth the walk up the boards to visit Route 66 regardless of where you are staying.

Visited June 2013

Westwood, New Jersey
“Good food and enjoyable atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Food was good.
Atmosphere was fun and light hearted.
Service was great.
The Owner, is a charm and a wonderful person who took the time out to come and greet us and make sure everything was ok, he also checked on us again as we were leaving.
We will definitely be going back again. Did I mention this wasn't our first time there either.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Warrington, Pennsylvania
“Great Atmosphere-Bad Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

5 stars for the atmosphere 1 star for the service. Over the memorial day weekend they ran out of a lot of items on the menu and flagging the waitress for drinks was like driving home on the Schuylkill expressway at peek afternoon traffic on a hot summer day…forget it. I would give it one more try, however there are so many places to eat not sure if I need to.

Visited May 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Route 66”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

They have the best gyros! Will definitely go back to this restaurant. Very friendly, nice people and clean.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wildwood Crest
“....I keep coming back-Still the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

......So? I found an innate and unknown "biological clock" ticking on the first of May; My stomach began a peculiar ritualistic "rumble," and I suddenly realized that Route 66 would open in a week. Call it Pavlovian, Operant, or whatever conditioning you'd like-But? The simple fact remains that I'm utterly *addicted* to a boardwalk restaurant.....Ordinarily? The most peculiar statement ever made, but? We're not talking about just *any* boardwalk restaurant!

And so? When those metal shutters raised in a week? I stared at the Ford Hot Rod sitting atop the roof, and? I found myself standing with a group of dedicated "followers." We weren't "The Few, The Proud;" We were: "The Many, The Hungry!" And? For good reason: The food is simply incredible!

It's rare to see a restaurant gain a cult following of sorts, and? I'll explain to those researching their next vacation as to why they utterly *need* to find themselves parked in one of the metallic-vinyl 50's benches, amidst soft glows of neon and doo-woppish goodness: These people *aren't* serving second rate "Is-It-Chicken-Or-Is-It-Seagull-Grab-Your-Tourist-Dollars-And-Never-See-You-Again." food-From the owners to the cooks? Gourmet Pedigrees. In the winter? The head cook happily dons a chef's hat and serves five-star cuisine in an upscale restaurant. The owner? Once had a ritzy cafe that delighted with what I'll call: "culinary innovation." New Jersey magazine once cited him as being "The Creator of Buffalo Chicken Pizza."

Why do I know all of this? Simple. I'm one of the many loyal clients that keep coming back . I *don't* need to eat pheasant under glass-I *do* adore Americana, served right! If you're a rib fanatic? Would it surprise you to know that you're in competent hands-And? As a former Louisiana resident? The owner cooks the ribs with a Southern-Style that leaves you staring at an empty plate. With tears. Where did that magnificent goodness of taste bud explosion go? In a frenzy of goodness? You'll realize that you've literally inhaled your dinner-And? It's a BIG diiner at that! And? It's okay-He'll be cooking them all summer, so dry your eyes, and come back again! And? You *will* return-Almost like proving to yourself that yes, the food really is *that* good-It wasn't a fluke!

The staff? *Wants* to be there-You can tell whether or not you've entered an establishment with a great dynamic when you walk into anywhere from the office to a restaurant, and? Laughter, smiles, and dancing are signatures of your dining experience at Route 66-And? I'd consider myself too much of a "frequent flyer" there to note otherwise! You actually have *fun* when you eat-And? If you find yourself returning continually like me? You won't have just "your usual waitress...." You'll try to adopt them all! You'll see the same smiling waitstaff yearly-They're an utter pleasure, and the owners are always on site, making sure you're having the experience they want you to have-Which is unlike the "boardwalk norm." Why do I know this? Just like *every* customer and diner? The owners will stop by-Even if nothing more than to say "Hello," and make sure you're being taken care of......In my opinion? That takes a person proud of their food!

Enough of the experience! The food! Menu items are labelled with Doo-Wop themes, but? The burgers are addictive, the gyros? Incredible......The Route 66 Special? I'm drooling over my computer as I'm writing-It's an INCREDIBLE pasta dish! You'd be hard-pressed to find a tastier menu that grabs 50's Americana so well.....With delightful "twists" to the ordinary!

Did I mention the Pizza?

I'll preface by saying the following: There is a preconceived notion that ordering boardwalk pizza is akin to willingly swallowing a bottle of castor oil and limberger cheese-And? In a game of "machismo?" Proving to one's friends who has the most cast-iron stomach! Not here!

My description of the Pizza? The byproduct of two perfectionists sharing one kitchen-I'll honestly say that in my journeys to New York, Chicago, California, Texas, and even Detroit? I've never had a pie *quite* like this......It's.....well......"Clean!"

What do I mean by "clean?" Simple. Take a slice. Choose your worst-Let's go with Pepperoni.....Now? Take it, hot from the oven, and rotate it any way you choose......Invert it....You'll notice the absence of one thing: A steady waterfall of grease.....It seems that each bite into a slice is utterly perfect....."Balanced," if you will.......Now? Order the Buffalo Chicken Pizza.......Note the chicken is finely chopped, as to not tear away in large chunks.....Each bite is completely uniform, with the same great explosion of taste.......Did I mention that two perfectionists are in the kitchen?

Yes, this is a long review-But? Sometimes? Someone *has* to say it! And? I'll happily give credit to a fine establishment, waitstaff and cooking team! Like many of the other "loyalists?" I'll be returning throughout the summer......Just as I have time and time again...Eating anywhere else would be like taking another girl to the Sock Hop while your best girl is sitting at home!

• Visited May 2013