“Free beach, very wide, close parking!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Attractions in Wildwood
Type: Beaches, Outdoors
Activities: Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: A wide beach that appeals to families.
Denver, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
“Free beach, very wide, close parking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Unlike other Jersey Shore beaches, Wildwood does not require you to buy a beach tag. It is quite wide, so be aware you'll have a ways to walk to get to the water. We were down by the Convention Center end as it was by our hotel.
I liked that it had lots of convenient garbage cans, and the wooden ramp from the Convention Center had a couple outdoor sprayers to clean off sand...a lower one just for feet and a higher one for full-body. Also had large bathrooms that were a little gross but convenient. Needed to be cleaned more often. Had a couple vending machines as well, with water and soda.
The sand was nice and white and pretty clean for the number of people that use it. Be aware that as the day goes on, the waves crash higher up and you could get soaked! We had to move back a couple times to keep from getting splashed. Great for walking or playing in the waves.
My kids were able to go quite a distance out into the ocean, and there wasn't a dropoff, which I liked. Lots of sand bars if you don't want to be as deep. My kids saw dolphins, which was cool!
As out of state travelers who came by plane, I wish the chair & umbrella rental stands were open (we were there the 3rd week of June) as we didn't have any beach stuff and didn't want to buy any for a couple-day visit.
There were water & ice cream vendors with large coolers on beach wheels who came by a few times, which was nice. Boardwalk was right behind the beach if you wanted food, boogie boards, shirts, swimsuits, bathrooms, etc.

• Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Dirty. Save your money, Go else where.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went to wildwood all of my childhood with my family, I absolutely thought it was magical. But I am now 18, I just got back from Senior week, and I have to say, it hasn't improved AT ALL, it is extremely dirty and disgusting aswell. I couldn't wait to get home and away from the filth, for Gods sake, the house my friends and I rented had MOLD. It was also in the ghetto of wildwood (which i never even knew existed) until a gang came banging at the door of one of the tenants above me. I have been to the Caribbean 3 times before coming back to wildwood, it is x10000000 better and cost virtually the same amount of money!! Go to the Caribbean (Jamaica, Bahamas, etc.) The beaches are amazing, foods amazing, people are amazing, and all around just better then the dumpy jersey shore.

Plainsboro, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
“Nice beach on the Jesreyshore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I liked Wildwood beach , prior to this I was not aware that Jersey shore had such nice white sand beaches

Visited May 2013
Feasterville, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Lifetime at this beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

2nd street beach is the best beach around. grew up coming here. Cleanest beach around and plenty of parking around the area. Great family spot

Middletown, New York
64 attraction reviews
“Widest Beach Around the Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

By far the Wildwood Beach is wide. I think it is only one of the few beaches on the east coast that is naturally widening each year. The beach is free but there is a fee for parking. Most people do not need to park their vehicle because the hotels and rentals are near the beach and within walking distance. The beach is very flat because the city of Wildwood grooms the beaches each morning and stops any growth of natural occurring dunes. The seashore is fairly calm and great for families with children. The waves are small gentle and gradually rolling. The sand bottom of the shore is very flat and only a gradual decline in elevation. A person can walk a long time before the water becomes deep. The one drawback is that because the beach is so wide it is quite a walk from the street to the shoreline.