“A Bit Too Expensive and Unaccommodating” 3 of 5 stars

908-534-4011
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ryland Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Central New Jersey
“A Bit Too Expensive and Unaccommodating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Went there for a family dinner. The prices were VERY high and they do not offer a children's menu, nor would they make any accommodations ($36 for salmon for an 8 year old is a bit much). It was a special occasion (birthday) but there was no mention of it. I understand it's supposed to be an upscale place, but was disappointed. By the time we left (we had 5:30pm reservation on a Sunday) the noise level in the place was so terrible you couldn't have a conversation. I wouldn't run back there any time soon.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Lebanon, NJ
“Absolutely perfect! A real treat with the family.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have no idea why there are 1, 2, 3 or 4 reviews of the Ryland Inn. This is a very high end restaurant with excellent food, excellent atmosphere and excellent service. The coffee was the worst thing that I had and it was pretty good. I had the pear salad and then the pork somethingarather. It was very good. Portions weren't huge but I wasn't feeling hungry when I left.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I loved the bar area.. very romantic.....
the piano player is a great addition to the dinner
the dinners are served on picture frames with a picture in the center - very inventive
great wines
good food
five stars!!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Good, but I expected AMAZING!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I had a very good, but not outstanding experience at the Ryland Inn. We did the tasting menu and I added the wine pairings.

Best part of the meal:

· The Ribeye and sides had a wonderful flavor and the meat was very tender. By far this was our favorite part of the meal.
· The cheese course was delicious, had good texture and was so pretty. The cherries were great with it.

The items which were not up to par:
· My snapper had something bad crunchy in it, which my husband’s did not. My husband heard it and thought I bit into a bone. Never figured out what it was, but it did turn me off on that course.
· The lobster course was good, loved the mushrooms, but lobster itself was a tad overcooked.

The service was good, but again, not outstanding. My wine was always served some time after the course was delivered. I have done many a tasting menu and my experience is it is poured right before or just as the course is served. At Ryland, it was when the waiter looked over and saw we had the course, he then brought the wine over. I wait until I get my wine to experience the meal and my husband, out of courtesy, waits as well. We would get the course delivered and look around waiting for the waiter. Timing was off.

The bar area looked interesting and the restaurant itself was lovely.

For the price of the meal, I expected more highlights. That being said, I am still remembering how good the ribeye was and I may be back, and have a steak dinner at the bar.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Morristown, New Jersey
“Top notch all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Lovely dinner for my wife to conclude our typical weeklong celebrations, matching or exceeding other top restaurants. From top to bottom, a beautifully designed experience. The fragrant, nicely arranged flowers planted outside presented a pleasant welcome. Interior is classically appointed but not stuffy, and the bar looks inviting for drinks whether or not dining.

The waiter was gracious and helpful, particularly with accommodating our request to omit shellfish and pork, which was included in the items we otherwise found most appealing as described in the menu. Our food came out a delightfully slow pace, hitting high notes as my wife and I passed the dishes back and forth, like usual.

Carrot and beet soup tasted fresh from the garden. Pasta mid-course was similar to spaghetti noodle but with an added texture and buttery, pesto-like sauce. Halibut had masterful mix of slight crispness and then melted in your mouth. Tuna sat on avocado purée that was delightful, just minimize how much you take with each bite of fish.

We mostly liked each of these dishes equally, but not so with dessert. Surprisingly, my wife was a bigger fan than I of the chocolate ganache (described as a homemade candy bar). And I much preferred the panna cotta's lighter texture and fruity accompaniment. Decaf coffee was perfectly strong but refills were unfortunately not hot.

Highly recommended! (dined 4/22/2013)