“Just average” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed at the Marriott Hanover for approx 8 nights. They are renovating the lobby which probably needed it judging by the rooms. The rooms are old and there is no dresser for clothes which makes it slightly inconvenient for longer stays. By now I would anticipate most hotels to have flat screen televisions or at least something better than a late 80's model TV. The hotel does provide great smelling orange ginger soap, shampoo and condition from Bath & Body Works but the perks end there.

Wireless internet costs $12.95 per day which I was willing to pay out of necessity. However, the wireless internet stopped working a few days into my stay and took nearly two days to repair. There seemed to be no sense of urgency when I called the front desk in terms of when it would be repaired. I was offered to use the business center which I will get into next.

The business center is oddly located in a dark, creepy back corridor on the second floor. It is poorly lit and frankly not a place many women would feel comfortable alone. This was quite an issue when the internet was not working.

On a positive note there is a gym that is decent. There are 3 or more treadmills, a few ellipticals, two stationary bikes and some weightlifting equipment. The pool was alright but the locker rooms were musty, super old and like the business center, creepy.

The best part of the stay was the Irish Pub located on the first floor. The food was really good and especially good for a hotel restaurant. The room service was also excellent and the room service staff were extremely friendly.

Overall it is just an average hotel. I would probably give it another try because there was a lot of commotion with the renovations. I really do hope they renovate the business center and make it a more welcoming place though!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Whippany, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

This is my 2nd stay here. I thought that with all the renovations going on, my first week's stay was an anomaly. I gave them a 2nd chance. They failed. The hotel's front desk staff's attitude is deplorable. Very unhelpful and I am a Platinum Elite with Marriott. When asked if I could be placed on a higher floor at 5 p.m. in afternoon - I came in early enough to request it - the front desk woman said immediately and withough checking, "Unfortunately ALL the rooms were taken by Our Platinum and Gold members". When asked if she can reserve a room for me for the following week, she directed me to the marriott.com. When asked for directions to the fitness facility I was merely given a handwave in the general direction. The bed was lumpy. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Hotel service is very mediocre. Am a Platinum Marriott member so we stayed there for a wedding. Poor attitude of the staff makes for a not so pleasant stay. Bed was very comfortable. A lot of renovations going on so lobby area is a mess (not a big deal). If I had a choice, I would find another Marriott property to stay at.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I tried this week to book a meeting for about 15-20 corporate colleagues at this hotel. Sent full details about my meeting and three days later have received absolutely no response whatsoever.

The hotel is at the least careless, and at the worst clueless, when it comes to service. I also book larger conferences during the year and I definitely will not book one at this hotel, when it fails to demonstrate the same level of respect I get from hotels in SF, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, etc.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

With all the choices in the area, this hotel ranks dead last for service. It was undergoing a major renovation so that made it a bit messy, but over all the staff just did not seem to care. On the night I stayed there a fire alarm went off waking everyone up. Okay, that happens. But, on check out the clerk was rude, offered no explanation and just did not seem to care that I was up all night.

The rooms are old and the beds are horrible. New rooms and beds coming soon they say.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

I went down to the lobby just now to get a bottled lemonade. I wanted to pay cash so I could add my meal receipts for expense purposes. The check in counter girl told me she would not take cash "because she was closing her shift". That is one of the most ridiculous, customer-indifferent excuses I have heard in some time. Get with it Marriott......SERVE your customers. I won't be back, neither should you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We live nearby and always use this hotel when we are doing home renovations or just need to get away but not too far away at least once or twice a year. Our 6 year olds love the indoor/outdoor pool and the irish pub has a great kids menu and the food and beer choices for adults are outstanding. Rooms are always clean and staff very nice. Not much has changed in the last 18 years we have been going there, which is good, we like consistency

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hanover Marriott? Share your experiences!