“Great Choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany

Save Saved
You added HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany to your Saves list
HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ridgedale Avenue North, Whippany, NJ 07981-1032 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites Parsippany/Whippany)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
Worcestershire, UK
“Great Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Clean, comfortable suites, free breakfast, free food some weekdays, free WiFi, free pool, free gym, convenient location, friendly, helpful staff, well done you guys at Hyatt.

• Liked — The complete package, at a really good price.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

My fiance and two of our friends stayed at Hyatt Summerfield for two nights during our trip to NYC. We all loved it. We booked a two bedroom suite and each couple had their own room and bathroom. There is also a living room and a really nice kitchen. The breakfast in the morning was really nice. Eggs, cereals, pastries, bagels and some other things were available. When something ran out it was refreshed again. The only problem we had was finding it. I guess because it was new it wasn't in our GPS and the Mapquest directions didnt help much either. We eventually found it after a little while. Other than that we had a wonderful stay.

• Liked — The spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Hard to find
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for three days. I was amazed at how great it was. Priceline has it listed as a two and a half star hotel, but it is really at least a 3 star. The mattresses were new and very comfortable. I check for bedbugs at every hotel I stay at, and I did not find any here. (Note, I read online that the morristown hyatt has, so I was glad that this one does not.) There's a full kitchen, with an oven, fridge, sink, dishwasher, and microwave. Unlike the other reviewer here, I found that the air conditioner worked quite well, and I had to turn it off since the room got too cold if I left it on too long. There is an adjustable thermstat in the room , but I did not know how to operate it. The closet has an iron and ironing board. I cant comment on the hotel service, since I did not need to ask them for anything. (Though that in itself is a good thing.) The complementary breakfast was ok. Not the best, but definitely adequate.
As far as the location, it can be confusing, since the area has 3 different roads called ridgedale ave. Look for North ridgedale. If you get off of 287 south, head west on route 10 until the first traffic light. Make a right onto that street (which is north ridgedale.) I got lost trying to find it, but I called the hotel and they gave me directions. I would definitely stay here again. As far as the guy who said you have to make three turns to turn left, that's jersey. And it works amazing at reducing traffic. I work in NJ and live in NY. NJ avoids a lot of trafic issues because of the jughandle system.

• Liked — Very nice room/suite
  • Disliked — small hotel lobby
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

Ok I read the reviews for this hotel and there they were all over the place, so I felt the need to add a review.

I am staying in the location for several week for several nights at a time. They are finishing up renovations in the halls but looks like they are towards the end of this renovation (currently 3/4/08). The rooms inside are very comfortable and large with a newly renovated room and stainless steel appliances. They could use more utensils and pans but what are you going to do. They also have flat screen tv;s but I don't think they have HDTV but still a nice feature with a DVD player and you can connect your laptop to the audio connection unit. They also have free wireless internet and runs at a pretty good speed compared to other hotels. The shower was just warm not hot but they are doing a plumbing upgrade so that might take care of that, (will have to do an update on my review)

The breakfast is pretty basic with cereal, bagels, eggs, fruit, yogurt, starbucks coffee, does the job for a free breakfast. from 6 to 9:30am I think. The evening manager reception is from 5:30 - 7 and they have had, homemade pizza, egg rolls, salad type things. Usually changes each night but a good variety. I even was able to make a dinner out of it one night when I did not feel like going out or cooking. The do not have alcohol just soda and water. They also have crackers and chips and salsa. Just a note there are not that many restaurants right nearby but you have to either head to Parisppany about 5 miles or Hanover about 3-5 miles.
The location of this hotel is a little tucked away so make sure to have your GPS or map it out before hand. It is right at 278 and I-10, on the other side of I-10 and the Marriott.
But overall this is a great place for a larger room for the money, travelers, extended stay. Quiet and affordable and one of the best options in the area (Whippany, Parsippany, Hanover) after visiting several other hotels.

• Liked — Very spacious great amenities, flat screen tv, free wireless internet, stainless steel appliances
  • Disliked — Hard to get around I-10
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I pricelined this for $47 and on the Hyatt website it lists $189 so I got a good deal. Why people pay full price is a great mystery to me. But anyway...

I map-quested this hotel but it did not come up, so I called the hotel when I got to Parsippany for directions. The lady said it's just off Rt 10, "and you can't miss it". Well, I could not miss the Hilton and the Marriott because there were big old signs and the hotels are right there off Rt 10. After driving up and down Rt 10, I saw a building buried behind a LOT of treees. I drove several blocks off Rt 10 and yep, it was the Hyatt. You will have a hard time finding this place unless you have exact directions. Note to the front desk: it's easy to find because you work there and go there every day!

The hotel advertised a manager reception on their website from 5pm to 7pm. I get there at 5:30 and I am thinking beer, wine and appetizers. What was there instead was a vat of bubbling cheese and corn chips, with complimentary coffee. Yum. Coffee and cheese at 5:30pm. I'll pass.

The room itself was large, new and nice. Lots of modern furniture and stainless appliances. I could definitely stay in a room like this for a week, but for one night it was kinda overkill. But it was nice. However, there was a big problem. While it was in the 30s outside, the room itself was hot. I turned on the AC and had it on from 7pm all night. I never could get the room to cool, and by about 1am, I opened a window even though there were no screens on the window. In theory a bat could have flown in and bit me while I slept, but I was so hot I did not care. Even with the window open the room still was hot. At one point it got up to the mid 70s before I opened the window.

The bed was also an issue. It was a king size bed, but was almost too soft and it bowed in the middle so I was relegated to sleeping on one side of the other. Also, the shower was only warm water, so a hot shower is out. Breakfast was ok. Eggs were terrible but the other items were ok.

There are no restuarants nearby, so you have to drive. Rt 10 does not allow left turns which is maddening, so you have to make a right turn, then a u-turn, to go left. What a ridiculous road system they have there.

Anyway, I ended up eating at an Irish pub at the Marriott hotel. Patrons of the hotel were there yucking it up, having a good time. I had a great dinner there and made my way back to the Hyatt which seemed depressing and somber compared to the glitzy Marriott. I went up to my room, wondering what might have been if Priceline had booked my room at the Marriott as opposed to this sauna.

Stayed February 2008
Pawcatuck CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We just returned from a two night stay at The Summerfield Suites Hotel in Whippany, NJ. We booked a 2 bedroom suite for 92.00 per night over Thanksgiving. The room was big and comfortable and had 2 bedrooms, each with a king size bed and each with it's own bathroom. Also included were a living room with a sleeper sofa and a full kitchen. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast in the morning and also snacks in the early evening. We enjoyed our stay and felt it was well worth the price. We will certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The spacious accomodations
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
wi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights while visiting family in the area. I think it has potential to be a really good hotel for the price, but there are a few obstacles so far. Starting with the positives, there were some nice Hyatt touches to it (decent towels, double sheeted bedding, toiletries), the room was very large, nice tv and couch in living area, bed was comfy, shower pressure was good (although it was sometimes hard to get the right temp since the controls were unusual). In person I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful, although when I called with questions beforehand they were not as helpful. The breakfast coffee and bagels were good, too.

Now for the negatives. It is hard to locate at first, and NJ jughandles make it more complicated. Which can't be helped, but make sure you print off directions before you leave! The other areas are things that could be improved. Despite asking for a quiet room at check in, we ended up only a few doors from the elevators, and around noon a very lively latin band checked in next door. While the music was good and the cooking smelled awesome, it was way too loud for us. The staff found us a very quiet room on the other end of the hotel away from the elevators after we called, and it was much better because even before the band checked in, the foot traffic in the morning was loud (conversations, running/crying kids, etc. -- the hotel layout is a big square with elevators in the middle of two sides, so the non-elevator sides are quieter). Neither room was particularly clean, especially the kitchen and bathroom areas.

I also was surprised there were no plastic cups in the kitchen or bathroom, but if you used the glass ones (or plates, etc.) there was a sign saying it was illegal to handwash dishes, but that the dishwasher would not be run unless it was half full. What does this mean? You are welcome to use the dishes but then you must waste the water washing your two cups and a plate because we won't? Or if you just rinse them with shampoo and put them away no one will be the wiser (no hand soap, of course, that would be illegal)? Ick! I think it would be better management to leave some plastic or styrofoam cups like other hotels if you aren't going to make sure the dishes are really clean.

As for breakfast--when they say it closes at 10:30, they mean nothing will remain out by 10:30. I have never seen such breakfast nazis anywhere. I think they would grab the orange juice out of your hand if you had it when they wanted to put it away. If the coffee ran out at 10:20, too bad for you. The eggs must have been powdered, the first day they were okay, the next day inedible. The bagels were good (but no light cream cheese) and the french toast wasn't bad. Not much selection of fruit-apple, banana or canned peaches. Just make sure to get there 30 minutes before closing if you don't want to race the ladies who apparently can't wait to go home. Also, the website says they have a shuttle but it is only local and does not go to the airport. It also only runs during the week. I haven't seen shuttles where they don't go to the airport--most places I've been they either just go to the airport or will go there and whereever else you need to go, within reason.

• Liked — bed in the second room very comfy
  • Disliked — not very clean for a Hyatt brand hotel (but not awful)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany? Share your experiences!