“Only comparable stay I've had was at a $15 a night hostel in Peru” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Somerset Hills Hotel

Save Saved
You added Somerset Hills Hotel to your Saves list
Somerset Hills Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Liberty Corner Road, Warren, NJ 07059   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Warren
New York, New York, United States
“Only comparable stay I've had was at a $15 a night hostel in Peru”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My colleague and I checked into this hotel last night. My room was fine; her door was open, windows all open (it's December), and the room reeked of chemicals. Not really sure what happened in the room that required this much cleaning, and we don't really want to know.

Go down to the front desk, inform them of the open door, freezing room, and nauseatingly strong chemical smell...no apologies, just a "well that is our only room for the night." Apparently it's OK to book guests in rooms like that. After some back and forth they were able to find another room for her.

Fast forward to this morning, when I discovered that the water is lukewarm at best, and the bathtub does not drain. Nothing to wake you up in the morning like a cold shower with water up to your knees (spoiler alert: trying to wash your legs in the sink after you shower to get the suds off is about as fun as it sounds).

I tell the receptionist...again, no apologies, just "the hot water is an issue we're aware of. And are you sure your bathtub drain wasn't plugged??" I asked her to please call me if they could resolve the bathtub / hot water issue, because if not I wanted to cancel my next two nights. She took down my phone number.

In the afternoon I'm sitting at work wondering if I should see if any space opened up at nearby hotels, so I call to ask. I'm told that "the issue has been taken care of"--still no apologies, and she sounded mildly annoyed when I clarified "so the bathtub drains and there is now hot water?" I guess following up on requests is as extraneous as a room that smells nice, or a functioning bathtub.

Unfortunately everything in the area is sold out, so I guess i'll find out in a couple hours whether my $135 will include hot water and a working bathtub

Room Tip: Call ahead of time to see if their hot water is running
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Rui t was a pleasure speaking with you a few moments ago and I thank you for listening. First and utmost please accept my sincerest of apologies on behalf of me, management, and our staff. Words alone will not right what was wrong nor will the adjustments I have made to both your invoice and your colleague. In life mistakes do happen, equipment failures occur, and at times things are out of one’s control however rudeness and lack of concern is not acceptable under any circumstances. We as hoteliers have erred in this case and I offer you no excuses. All too often a guest has a poor experience, does not take the time to bring these problems to our attention and one day we wake up with no business and wonder why? Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to address these concerns; please share our apologies with your colleague as well.
Once again please accept our sincerest of apologies and have a great day,
Regards,
Andy

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Driving up you see a nice view, brick exterior, but quickly you see the neglect. Carpets throughout the lobby and restaurant were stained and a year or so past their need to be replaced. The mahogany details speak to former glory, but the ceilings are stained, and tile chipped. In our room we were greeted with a poorly executed patch in the carpet which, like all the other carpets I saw in the hotel was in need of replacement. The beds had rough linens and four anemic pillows on the two beds. The toilet porcelin was chipped, the bathtub/shower was a cheap fiberglass insert, bathroom tile floor was cracked. The ironing board was broken, and when we called down for a replacement and they said they would be right up with a replacement. An hour later we had to go to dinner without the benefit of ironed clothes. When we came back from dinner, the new ironing board was there....but the door to the room was left unlatched. and, to top off our stay, the A/C unit started making a racket at 2:00 am. The restaurant on the other hand was relatively good. Breakfast buffet was ample, fruit was fresh and the bacon and sausage were better than average. Overall, I can say it was the most unpleasant stay since my days of driving cross county and trying to stay overnight for less than $20 a night. Very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
On behalf of all of us, I want to apologize for your experience. We take all guest concerns seriously and yours is no exception. We are scheduled for a renovation in 2013 and "yes" the areas you mentioned are within the scope of our refresh. In either case an unpleasant experience is an unpleasant experience. We hope that once the renovation is completed that you will allow us the opportunity to host you once again and leave you with a positive feeling. Once again thank you for your feedback it is greatly appreciated.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Facing nowhere to go in the aftermath of Sandy, I turned to our Warren Township Mayor Carolanne Garafola. She was able to secure a room at the Somerset Hills Hotel. I was welcomed by the Manager, Andy Pompani, who was more than understanding and helpful. He gave me a lovely corner room and made sure I had everything I needed.
I have been at this Hotel before, for Holiday parties for a Group and can attest that the hors douvres were fabulous. Oh those baby lambchops!!
Thank you again to Andy, the really good housekeeping staff, and the desk staff. Special thanks also to Robert at the desk who was most helpful

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Good day to you; the pleasure was all ours! We truly appreciate your comments and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! On behalf of Robert, I and the entire staff of the Somerset Hills THANK YOU! Here at The Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ, it is our goal to make every guest comfortable and feel right at home. There should only be two difficult things that our guests face: What time is happy hour and what time to get out of our comfortable beds in the morning. It warms my heart to see that we were able to make your stay so special. Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review.
Warren NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at hotel after our home lost it's roof during "Sandy". The entire staff was very patient and helpful during our entire stay even though the hotel was also challenged by loss of power and dealing with unusual circumstances. Thank you to all the staff at this wonderful hotel for such great service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
The pleasure was all ours albeit it under the most difficult of circumstances for you. We hope you will think of us always as "your home away from home" and visit us often. Thank you for the review and we hope we will see you again real soon! Kindest regards, Andy
Bedminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our house was hit by a tree during Hurricane Sandy, they took us in with our two little dogs. Even though we lost power here, we had lights in the hallways with one electric outlet per hall, elevators , and a front desk staff who were super helpful. Ron the Maintenance, man went above and beyond the call of duty. Andy Pampanin (the VP) of the hotel has been here constantly as the rest of the staff. Jennifer, Robert, & Samantha, Jay & Samira at the desk, also went above the call of duty making sure our needs ( that they would be able to fulfill ) were met. The food is spectacular!! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling through, or even just for a getaway weekend.

Room Tip: The room we had on the fourth floor was very quiet and comfy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
On behalf of the Staff and Management of the Somerset Hills thank you so much for your kind words. Having you, your wife and that cute little one is a pleasure. We should actually be thanking you! Your pleasant demeanor, easy going and up lifting attitude has helped us as well to get through a difficult time with hurricane Sandy. We have made many new friends in the neighborhood and you and yours ranks up there at the top! We are "family" now and that in and of itself says it all. Thank you for selecting the Somerset Hills we made lemons out of lemonade and did it together! Andy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My fiance and I arrived here on October 19th to get ready in our suite for our rehersal dinner. It was 70 degrees outside and the room was a little stuffy so we turned on the "air". We went to go to the car to get the rest of our things. By the time we got back up there, the room was 80 degrees and was pumping out hot air. I went to use the phone to call the front desk. Ok good. Phone wasn't even working. We went down to the front desk and told them. Got ready sweating bullets the whole time and reminded the desk again on our way out that our room was a sauna. They said they tried to call up to my room, which I had to remind them AGAIN that my phone wasn't even working. By the time we got back, it looked like things were straightened out but my night really was started out on the wrong foot due to the fact that I was sweating so badly while getting ready. Second night was better after the actual wedding. The other issue was the breakfast. The lady coming around was harassing the hell out of everyone for a coupon. My sister had to get up to take her three kids to the front desk for more coupons because the lady insisted they all had one. Ages 2-7, I mean really? She was pretty rude. I'd say some of it was good, but the air and the phone not working in a suite? Co'mon

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
On behalf of myself and the staff of The Somerset Hills Hotel I wish to take this opportunity to apologize for your unpleasant experience. We offer no excuses however I would like to take a moment to reply specifically. We were in the process of installing a new energy management system which did effect the temperature controls in certain rooms yours being one of them. We are happy to say these problems are now behind us but that doesn't change the unpleasant experience you encountered. We have taken appropriate and immediate steps to be certain this never occurs again. We were hosting quite a few wedding groups, some with complimentary breakfast included others without, and yes there was some confusion however rudeness is simply never acceptable under any circumstance. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention and for allowing us the opportunity to address this with all our staff. If your travel plans bring you back to the Warren area please ask for me (Andrew Pampanin) as I would like to handle your arrangements personally. Once again please accept our sincerest of apologies.
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Classmates from the class of 1959 of a NJ high school met for a relaxed get-together at SHH for second time in two years. Erica kept us well informed as to how our room block was filling. Samantha at the front desk was so welcoming and always ready to facilitate our requests; allowing us to slightly rearrange the foyer furniture to allow us all to sit and talk, for example. Our room fee included an ample buffet breakfast. We appreciate that the SHH is one of few hotels where one may open room windows to enjoy wonderful fall air, a real treat to those who do not like to breathe recirculated air conditioned room air. Yes, the hotel is plainly built, but the desk staff and the bar/dining room staff were efficient and friendly. The ample food at the breakfast buffet and dinner was not remarkable, but we were not there for a fine dining experience. The hotel is a scenic drive away from the Willowwood Arboretum and adjacent Martha Brookes Hutcheson residence (1911 to 1959) with its formal garden designed by Mrs. Hutcheson, one of the first women to be trained as a landscape architect in the United States. We ordered and picked up fantastic sandwiches from Monterrey Gourmet deli on the way and ate them on the grounds of Willowwood. Both of these sites have a public restroom and paths on which to stroll. The SHH is in a perfect location for the many sites we classmates like to visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Good evening and thank you for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! Here at The Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ, it is our goal to make every guest comfortable and feel right at home. There should only be two difficult things that our guests face: What time is happy hour and what time to get out of our comfortable beds in the morning. It warms my heart to see that we were able to make your stay so special. Special thanks from Erica, Samantha and the entire Staff! Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review.

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!