“A local's guide to the Jersey Shore - Five Points Inn, Vineland” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 109 Restaurants in Vineland
Cuisines: Italian
“A local's guide to the Jersey Shore - Five Points Inn, Vineland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Once upon a time, before interstates and the Atlantic City Expressway, Philly people took the "back roads" to the South Jersey Shore. Tuckahoe Road is one such road. Both my folks and my wife's would take Route 557 southbound through Buena and Vineland, eventually reaching route 50 several miles north of Seaville, which is close to Sea Isle City. From there you can connect to the Parkway south to Wildwood and Cape May. We all had out favorite spots to eat on the way and get fresh produce from the stands, the trip took a couple of hours. Five Points Inn is one of those stops. I have been going there since the 60's; it has been under current ownership for about 30 years. We were in Buena for our grandson's track meet. On the way back my wife, daughter and I stopped in. Our waitress was an older woman and we hit it right off. She also remembered the old shuffleboard set-up and told us they took it out for the new (relatively speaking) pizzeria. We talked about the old times taking the old roads - the hospitality and friendliness of small town restaurants on two lane roads. We did not order apps. It was "shrimp" night - portions were 24 shrimp of about a 26 count- so that's about a pound of shrimp. I had shrimp Alfredo. Outstanding! You could taste the garlic and oregano, with a hint of pepper. I usually like my Alfredo better than what I get at a restaurant - but this was close! Obviously with a portion like that, I had enough for dinner the next night. My daughter tried the gnocchi with tomato gravy. The gnocchi was fine, but for me the gravy was a little too sweet.Definitely had the South Philly style that we grew up with, though. My wife tried a breaded chicken dish with prosciutto and eggplant over the same gravy. Chicken could have used a little more seasoning. Both of these dishes made it to dinner the next night also - the portions were huge. The atmosphere is quite local. This is still a farming area so it is a mix of trucks and family sedans with people of all ages either sitting at the bar, or having dinner. the tab for all this plus non alcoholic beverages came to $60. Essentially we got two meals each for that, freshly prepared and with excellent service. I have stopped in there on the way back from Philly when I am by myself. The roast beef sandwich is a keeper, but my wife had not been there in years. Her dad used to love the Roast Beef. We both agree how much we miss when people took their time and did not drive like maniacs on the Parkway tailgating everyone at 80 miles an hour. There's a lot to be said for the old Mom and Pop's like this one. We said the next time we take the back roads, we're coming back again. Thanks, DeThomasi family, for keeping places like this alive.

• Visited May 2013