“Great golf and spa, Ok hotel, horrible pools” 3 of 5 stars

Route 94 & 2 Chamonix Drive, Crystal Springs Resort, Vernon, NJ 07462   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vernon
New York, NY
“Great golf and spa, Ok hotel, horrible pools”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

Don't go to the minerals/crystal springs expecting a nice-relaxing getaway for two. If you are a family with small children this is the place for you.

My husband and I visited for the weekend and had a wonderful time playing golf and enjoying the spa. When it came to relaxing by the pool, however, this wasn't the place for us. The pools were so crowded with families - the hotel even opens the pools to local members so it felt like a town pool rather than a resort experience.

The gym and spa facilities were great and i'd highly recommend dinner at Latour - one of the best meals and service we've had.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2007
Dear NeedaPlan,

Thank you for your recent visit. We are happy to read that despite the small children, you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We are a very busy resort because we allow the guests to enjoy the facility prior to the 4pm check-in time if the room/condo is not available; as well as past checkout time till closing. Our guests are never in a hurry to go home once they have stayed with us. Summer time is a busy time for families to have fun at Minerals Resort & Spa. Next time try our new 4 star hotel , The Lodge at Grand Cascades which opening on August 1st.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

I liked the pools (well, hot tubs really - I felt lazy), I liked the sauna, the steam room was pretty good (could be a bit hotter though).

The rooms are pretty much what one would expect to find at $100+ hotel. The bathtubs are slightly larger than in some similar properties - thumbs up for that. Some rooms have balconies and you can have either a mountain view or pool view, so make sure to specify
that when making the reservation.

I came about 10 am and was allowed in the room immediately (yay!). It was a weekday though, and they were probably only 60% or so full. That surely affected my pool experience too, as it was not crowded at all.

I didn't use gym, basketball court or racquetball rooms but they all looked pretty good.

The staff is generally helpful but somewhat laid back and confused (comparing to large hotel chains).

Two biggest complains - 1) I'm in the hot pool and suddenly my eyes start hurting. Then I realize it smells like chlorine. I get out of the tub and see maintenance guy doing something with the water filters, while people are still in the tub, right next to him. Huh? 2) The little map of the surrounding areas they give you at the check-in is so not to scale it's just misleading. They make it sound like Owen's pub is on the premises but really it's a good 30 minutes drive away.

The verdict: In my opinion, they're right on the line where I feel I got what I paid for. They may try a bit harder to make me feel $200 a night is totally justified. Nevertheless, I probably will come back
with my family - I think they will like it there.

• Liked — pools, views, location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear Seriously Minded,

Thank you for your recent visit, we are happy to read that you will be returning to our facility.

All of your suggestions are appreciated.

The pools/hot tubs are monitored daily to ensure they are all up to code with State regulations. The maintenance staff monitors the pools water quality throughout the day , which is probably what you observed. Thank you for your comment about our map, it is true that it is not to scale, but Owen's Pub is located at our sister golf course Ballyowen, which is only three miles away. The Resort's other 5 golf courses are also no more than 3 miles from Minerals.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

I'm a regular user of this site and usually when I see one bad review among tons of good ones I just figure that person is a nit-picky, cranky, annoying traveller. I swear I'm not one, but here I go! We had a very disappointing stay at this place. Our group was an extended family with ages ranging from 10 months to 68 years, and none of us liked this joint, not even the baby.

This is long, so you can scroll down if you like to these sections:
CHECKING IN
THE CONDOS
THE POOLS
MORE RULES THAN POOLS
THE STAFF
THE SPA (actually very nice)

Please enjoy my rant as much as I enjoyed writing it!

CHECKING IN...the nightmare begins!

First, I found (as did others) that every time I called the hotel to plan the stay I got different answers from whoever I spoke with, an experience that proved true during our stay as well. We booked 2 3-bedroom condos and requested that they be close together, which we were told was a possibility. We reserved a full-size crib for the baby (baby's mom even called back several times to make SURE it was full size and was promised it would be.) When we got there, the desk people (who were already making us feel like high maintenance crazies just for making these two basic requests) told us it was virtually impossible to get 2 units close together and that they don't have any full-size cribs. I've never really seen trained hotel staffers act so unhelpful or unsympathetic, even at a Motel 6....Bad start!

THE CONDOS...not bad, I admit!

Actually ours was very nice, recently remodelled and nicely decorated...but when we checked in at the required time of 5pm (!?), the unit still hadn't been cleaned, so there were piles of dirty towels everywhere and messed up beds. We had to leave for an hour and come back at 6. Cleaning crew was nice and apologetic. The other unit was not as updated as ours, but still fine. The place in general has a 1970s glamour vibe to it, like its heyday was right around Farrah Fawcett's.

THE POOLS....OMG!

The website boasts 7 pools, so after a quick look around we asked where they all were, and found that they were all right there at the lodge. Huh? Looked like about 3 to us. The best I could figure is that they include the 3 small hot tub-type pools that are next to the indoor pool. The pools in general have a rustic look (circa late 70s) and seem like they'd be fine, but check this out: The biggest one isn't heated, so in July during a heatwave it still felt icy and never held more than about 10 intrepid guests. Instead, many were crowded into the smaller over-heated pool or swimming inside, where the water actually felt nice, but the air was stuffy...it's summer, remember. To say this place has 7 pools is a joke...even some employees agreed with us. There are some cool caves and a rock to jump off, but the pools were not that fun unless you like deep, cold water or shallow hot water.

MORE RULES THAN POOLS

What really ruined the pool area was the crazy set of rules which seemed to mainly exist in order to make more money for the hotel and harrass infants. The styrofoam noodles on the premises could ONLY be used by the elderly ladies who took the aqua-fit classes, not any kids. So for hours after the class, the ladies would float on these noodles while kids were only allowed to use....I swear..."coast guard approved flotation devices." Our baby niece was kicked out of the pool twice due to her un-coast-guard-worthy gear, and her stroller suddenly became against the "board of health" rules on the last day of our stay. But guess what? Regulation gear happened to be available at the gift shop! No food or liquids were allowed by the pool except what you bought at the snack shack, so it was $10 sandwiches or bust.

THE STAFF

Although we encountered some nice people working there, we were continually amazed at how each of them would give us different rules, different prices, different information. We are a pretty tame bunch, but we all started feeling rebellious and renegade just hours into our stay in the face of so many bizarre and pointless rules. One nice manager looked almost sadly at me when I asked about getting a styrofoam noodle for my daughter, as if he was living in some bizarro world where he had to enforce random rules all day long and he wanted out.

THE SPA

Guess what? The spa is amazing!!! Truly relaxing, beautifully decorated and worth the money. I got all kinds of humorous scoop from one of my service providers who confirmed the craziness of the place from the employee perspective. Also, the classes at the gym were fun. So you see, I'm not a total grump!

Overall, I would avoid this place unless you are clear going into it that it won't REALLY have 7 pools, that you will get the run-around from the staff, and that you may not get exactly what you ask for. Overall we had a lot of fun, but mainly because we felt so united AGAINST the place it gave us lots of great material.

Best of luck!

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — bad service, ridiculous rules
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Faustie,

Thank you for your recent stay.

We try to accommodate all guest requests as best possible. The condo request was not available, but we tried our best to situate you as close as possible. Unfortunately with the moving of condos around, there was a delay in cleaning the unit. We did inform the guest that called from your party that we did not have full size cribs. We apologize that this message was not conveyed, however we did accommodate your guest by picking up the crib at a crib rental agency the very next morning. (Sunday when you arrived, everything was closed).

We are delighted that you enjoyed the spa.

Our guests love our pools, spa and amenities; we regret that you did not feel the same. For the safety of our guests we do not permit uncertified flotation devices for children.

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

I recently organized a large corporate function for over 150 top level executives at the Crystal Springs Golf Resort and was truly impressed by the attention to detail and service to our guests. The event coordinator helped organize everything from the hotel rooms to the golf tournament to the fabulous dinner at Crystal Springs Country Club. We received many wonderful compliments that it was a very high class event and that our guests can’t wait to come back next year. The staff at the golf course, hotel and country club were outstanding and quick to help with any little detail I may have forgotten. We couldn’t have been more pleased!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo and loved it. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and roomy. The only drawback was the master bedroom was an open loft, and the sound from downstairs carried up there. It had a full kitchen, laundry, deck, 2 baths, overall very nice. The pools and hot tubs were great - my kids were disappointed that they could not jump in the pools or have any tubes or toys. We drove to NYC a couple of days and the trip wasn't that far. The other days we just hung around the pool or condo and relaxed. We didn't try the spa or on-site restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was no information in the rooms though about the resort or the area. We would definitely go back.

• Liked — close to NYC
  • Disliked — had to drive to pool and activities
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

I have 3 children. My wife and I have taken our kids several times to the hotel and really enjoy it. It is a great getaway that is close to NYC. There is something for everyone. My kids are avid basketball players and the hotel is one of the rare ones that has a full-size indoor court. The kids also enjoy the pool, especially the one that allows you to swim indoors and outdoors. The spa is top notch! The rooms are great. We've stayed in every type, as well as the condos. The hotel can be very busy at times so plan ahead.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Lack of snow this season
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rye, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

I was so impressed by the quality of this hotel and spa and the proximity to NYC! Our rooms were beautiful, large and each had a balcony and a fire place. The staff was extremely helpful in all regards - very friendly.
The Spa was truly a special experience - from the foot soak to one of the best massages I have ever had to the champagne afterwards, I felt pampered! I worked out in the gym which was clean and well equipped.
The icing on the cake was our dinner in the wine cellar at Restaurant Latour. We felt like were in a castle and we ate like queens! I had the crab cake and the lobster which was divine. Others ate the sirloin and branzini and we all enjoyed the amazing passed hors d'oeuvres. We were given a tour of the wine cellar, which holds over 50,000 bottles (!) and that in itself was an experience I will never forget. I highly recommend Minerals as a great getaway from reality!

• Liked — The excellent level of service so close to home!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Minerals Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!