“Fun family getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Minerals Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Minerals Hotel to your Saves list
Minerals Hotel
Route 94 & 2 Chamonix Drive, Crystal Springs Resort, Vernon, NJ 07462 (Formerly Minerals Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vernon
new jersey
“Fun family getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

My husband and three children (ages 10, 5 and 3) all went to Minerals for the Sunday night of Labor Day Weekend. We were able to check in about an hour early but our first assigned room was very far away from the pools and was on the ground floor next to a gravel driveway used by maintenance vehicles. The front desk was very accommodating about moving us and we were quickly checked into a guestroom on the 4th floor with a great balcony overlooking the pools. The room was spacious although I misunderstood the kitchenette to be more of a kitchen than it was. It is really just a microwave, little fridge and tiny sink. There are no dishes, glasses or utensils so if you were planning on eating in the room, it really isn't possible. We had hoped to just order takeout rather than go out to dinner with three tired kids but we didn't want to deal with the lack of dining supplies, so we had to go to a restaurant instead.

Since we were there for just one night, our only activity was going to the pools. There are several pools onsite but only the heated outdoor and indoor pools were open as well as the diving pool. The non-heated outdoor swimming areas were closed but since it was chilly out, this wasn't a problem. One of the pool areas was used as the location for the "walking on water" activity in which kids (adults too I guess!) can get into a giant ball inflated with air and walk around the pool. My two older kids tried it ($10 each so not cheap) and enjoyed it but it's not easy!

The outdoor heated pool is very, very warm. This was great because it meant there was no problem getting into the pool even though the outside temperature was barely above 70 degrees. The indoor heated pool is also pretty warm but it actually feels cold when you're coming in from the outdoor pool. The indoor swimming area also has two hot tubs but kids under 12 aren't allowed. I think a lot of people ignored that rule but given that all three of our kids are under 12, we thought we'd be pushing it to bring them in the hot tub.

On Sunday afternoon the hotel had a reptile show where a local reptile expert brought in several animals and showed them to the kids. My kids liked the show well enough and it was a good break from the pool action for a little while. During the afternoon on Sunday, the resort was very very crowded and we were not able to get chairs anywhere near the pool. After 5:00 though, the area totally cleared out and we got some breathing room before calling it a day and returning to our room.

My husband and I had brought wine for us and some snacks for the kids to have before dinner but with no glasses or corkscrew we had to call the front desk for both. Staff said they would send someone up but after 25 minutes no one came. My husband called the front desk and was put through to voice mail which obviously didn't help much. Ultimately, he just walked to the front desk to get the items. No big deal but a little frustrating.

We went to a local place, The Irish Cottage, for dinner and it was fine. We initially planned to go to the family marshmallow roast at 8:30 p.m. but found out it was at the other resort, Grand Cascades. Apparently people at Grand Cascades can come to Minerals but people at Minerals can't go to Grand Cascades. I had actually known this in advance (due to reading it here on Trip Advisor) but I could have sworn that the marshmallow roast was listed on the activity page for Minerals for the Labor Day weekend. Furthermore, since Minerals promotes itself as the more family oriented resort, it makes no sense for them to have the family marshmallow roast at the other hotel. When we first asked about it at the front desk, we were told we could go anyway as no one actually checks to make sure you're staying at Grand Cascades. A few minutes later, though, when I again approached the front desk to inquire about the start time, I was then told that no, we were not allowed to go. However, if I hadn't come back to ask about the time, no one would have told me we couldn't go and then we would have disappointed our children by showing up to an event and not being allowed in. Again, not a huge deal but frustrating. We ended up coming back to Minerals after dinner and going swimming again, which was fun for the kids.

After swimming we turned in for the night and all was well until about 2:45 a.m. when we were awakened by very loud voices and laughing from one of the other rooms. When I went outside to check where the noise was coming from, I saw some people out on a balcony beneath us and three people coming back from the pools soaking wet and laughing hysterically. I think the pools close at 10:30 and I know there is a noise rule as well but it doesn't seem like these things are enforced. There was a wedding that afternoon and I don't know if these people were continuing the party or if they were a separate group, but they were very loud and obnoxious. It makes me feel old to complain about this because once upon a time I too was up partying until all hours but now that I'm a mom of three, I'm just annoyed by that stuff. Finally, about an hour later, the noise quieted down and we all slept again.

We checked out the next morning but went to the pool again for a little while before heading home. One nice aspect of Minerals is that you can use the pools before and after check in and they have a big locker room to change and even shower if you choose so you don't have to try to change in a bathroom or go home in wet clothes. Despite it being Labor Day, the pool was really uncrowded and we were able to enjoy it for a while. My oldest made numerous jumps from the cliff diving area and the youngest two just stayed in the heated outdoor pool. Since there wasn't really anything else to do that day, we left at about 1:00.

All in all, I thought Minerals was pretty nice with regard to the rooms and the pool areas. I thought customer service could use some improvements and I was annoyed by the rules and the misinformation regarding the marshmallow roast. Also, I wish they had a child swimming area as well. They do have an area with sprayers that come out of the ground but there is no designated "kiddie" pool and if you do bring your kids into the big pool, they can only have arm "swimmies' or a coast guard approved swim vest. My three year has a Dora the Explorer inner tube floatie that she really kind of needs to swim around the pool but it wasn't allowed there and there was no pool where she could stand up on her own.

Finally, if you are booking here, look at the prices on Expedia before booking directly through the hotel. We paid considerably less on Expedia and although the hotel said that their cancellation policy was better than Expedia, I'm not sure that's true because Expedia now lets you cancel in advance as long as it's in accordance with the hotel's policy (which for Minerals is a 72 hour cancellation period). I'm not positive about that but either way, we paid a lot less for the same accommodations.

One last thing - my husband and I stayed at Grand Cascades last year and had a somewhat similar experience. The accommodations there were nice - nicer than Minerals- but there were serious customer service issues, much more significant than the ones we had at Minerals. We really didn't think we would ever go to Grand Cascades again or try Minerals since they're affiliated, but we wanted a last minute affordable getaway and this hotel ended up being available. Last year when we had trouble at Grand Cascades, we complained to the front desk and I wrote a letter outlining my concerns afterward but never received any acknowledgement. Here at Minerals my issues were relatively minor and I didn't bring them to anyone's attention because what were they going to do, move the whole marshmallow roast to Minerals because I complained about it? But, between the serious issues Grand Cascades and the minor problems at Minerals, it seems that these hotels don't quite have their act all together. Based upon some of the other reviews, it appearss I'm not the only person who feels that way.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
Dear Family fun!

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We will share this with all staff involved and we are happy that your review is entitled Fun Family Getaway!

We will take note on all the details you list, thank you very much, it's the way we learn and improve.

We look forward to your next getaway, till then, take care.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Bergen County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We stayed at the Minerals hotel for 2 nights and 3 days (they let you use the amenities on the day of check in and check out) with 2 young children (2.5 and 3.5 years old). We were not disappointed and were even pleasantly surprised maybe because we didn’t come with such high expectations.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating (Kim at the front desk especially, was very professional and courteous). They quickly and efficiently solved a problem we had with a neighbor who was too noisy. Staff was very courteous during our whole stay so I am surprised by the other reviews.

To sum it up in a few points:
Pros:
- nice resort (lots of pools and water games for the kids) in a beautiful rural area, only 1hr drive from Manhattan
- very friendly and customer-oriented staff
- safe and open environment for kids (all the pools are supervised by diligent life guards)
- nice rooms: we stayed in a 1 king size + sofa bed room, with a kitchenette and fireplace. It really is a mini suite. We definitely recommend it if you travel with young kids.

Cons:
- resort tends to be very crowded since it also serves as a kind of country club so you will see a lot of “members” using the same pools, fitness and other amenities open to the guests of the hotel
- even though rooms look recently renovated, the hotel is not in great shape, which was fine with us
- the main large outdoor pool is not heated (it was freezing cold) so everyone ends up either in the heated small outdoor pool, a.k.a. “the bath tub” and or in the heated indoor pool. Too bad in Summer when it is so nice out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2009
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review!

We are so pleased to have exceeded your expectations.

We appreciate your comments on not understanding the other reviews, and that your stay was more than what you hoped for.

We are a busy Summer resort, we cater to families all over the Tristate area and even further away, who stay weeks at a time.

We want to wish you Happy Holidays and we look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.

Glen Ridge, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

This place was so crowded, we were arm to arm with people in the hot-tub and suana-kind of gross. To boot-I don't know why it was such a scene-it's not that nice and there is not much for children although it's advertised for families and kids. The food at Kites restaurant(only restaurant in the hotel, was the worst mean I've ever had out-god awful), We couldn't get a reservation at Latour restaurant(at the sister hotel, as they "don't encourage children-even thought they advertise on child friendly websites).
In all it was a major rip-off.
Oh-also they ran out of towels and people started yelling and almost stormed the towel stand.

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband, my 2 tween daughters had a lovely time. The room was clean and well maintained, housekeeping was prompt and efficient. The grounds were simply amazing, and the pools were more fun than you can imagine. My children had a better time here than at the "famous" water-park down the road.

Most of the staff is young (high school/ college) but we found them to be friendly and sincere. The only issue was at the Tiki bar. We were served hot dogs that were both waterlogged and burned (pretty tasteless) and a soft pretzel that was burned; They heat them using the grill and the grill flared up. I actually say the cook trying to take the burned part off. My daughter asked for a new pretzel and the young cashier rolled his eyes, but put the order in for her. These are young people working unsupervised but they need to be taught "if you wouldn't eat it, don't serve it" If the equipment is faulty, management has to figure out a new procedure.
well I didn't mean to go on about that for so long, we enjoyed our trip very much, we just didn't eat at the Tiki Bar after the first time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
Thank you very much for your lovely review.

We appreciate and value all guests' comments, as we learn what our guests expect, this puts on the path of improvement.

We look forward to your future visit.

Totowa, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My sister and I went to Mineral Springs. From the moment we got there, the attitude of the front desk was unacceptable, not friendly at all. Their website does not match their services. The information in the room was not even correct, indicating live entertainment when there was none. DO NOT GO TO THE KITES RESTAURANT. The staff there are just ignorant. We were told we could not have reservations until 9 pm, however when we got there at 8:30, the restaurant was half empty and we still sat at the bar. Finally, when we asked to be seated early since no one else was there, we were completely ignored until we said something (after the table next to us who was seated after us had food) We did not even have a menu!!!!!! The food was not even that good. Also beware, they charge you more on your bill if you use a debit card and its a battle to get the money back. Nasty people, overpriced and definately would not go back if they paid me!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
pa.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

was on a golf package problem was that the first round on the package was on a golf course that was under construction we could only play 9 holes,so i drove 4 hours to only play 9 holes on the premier course and was told that they would deduct the green fee from the package cost ($327) but have to charge me the full price of the room,when i told them that if they would have told me before i drove up that the course was under construction or even told me in the pro shop before i teed off or even at the starters position that only half the golf course is playable I would have decided that i did not want to stay there under those conditions ,had they told prior to my departure i would not have even left my home and would not have incurred any room expense,since my golf package incentive was bogus i felt that they should have deducted the face value of the entire golf portion from my stay--$220 and only charge me the the discounted nightly rate $100, the manager said that the hotel didn't screw anything up that the golf people screwed up so i would have to pay the full single night rate of $228,so we packed our stuff up and left the place and drove 4 hours back home on the same day...The staff is extremely unprofessional and poorly trained,they don't measure up to the exterior elegance of the hotel,the heart of the operation (the people) are totally inept.....additional little things would have been overlooked,ie the bell hop lost our golf clubs for an hour,when they finally found them a bellman brought them to the pro shop and physically handed them to us and told us to carry them ourselves thru the shop out to the cart area and find a cart and load the bags ourselves...real class huh? additionaly when the controversy occurred the manager promised to have a solution within 15 minutes and would call me in my room, one hour later i finally called her back and was told i would still be paying the full price, when i asked to speak to the head manager that person told me that i had been adequaitly compensated and that now, at 5pm, she could get me on a golf course,what a dummy of course i could get on a course at 5pm nobody tees off at 5pm because it takes almost 4hrs to play a round of golf,clueless....never going back to this place!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

For about the last 20 years, we have owned 4 weeks of Marriott timeshares. Although we know that many resorts are not nearly as nice or well equipped as Marriotts, that hasn’t stopped us from exchanging into others. However, we have NEVER stayed in one that was as ill-equipped as The Minerals Resort, nor one as unconcerned with responding to maintenance / housekeeping requests as they are!
This review pertains to the condominium-type units only. I’m not sure how many types of time-share units they have, but we had a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo. I would STRONGLY recommend that you find out exactly what your unit would be like before you go there!
We arrived LATE at night, and were told how to find the building where we were to stay. We found the building without a problem, but it took more than a half hour for us AND A SECURITY GUARD (who we had to call) to locate #7! (We had to borrow one of the residents’ phones, since our cell phone had no reception.) The light outside the door had a burned out bulb, and the neighborhood itself was very dark. When we FINALLY located our door, we saw that the (small) number was corroded metal, and virtually invisible on the siding!
There were NO parking places available in our assigned lot, but the security guard let us park in a lot nearby. This was VERY INCONVENIENT!!!
IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH STAIRS, DON’T EVER STAY THERE!!! There were 10 steps down to the sidewalk, then a walk of about 40 yards, followed by 9 more steps up to our deck. Once inside, there were 14 more steps up to the master bedroom! Since you are basically in a condominium complex, rather than a hotel-type building, there were NO luggage carts for us to use. Since we had driven there, and planned to stay a week, I had packed liberally, and we both almost had heart attacks from carrying LOTS of luggage and vacation paraphernalia up all of those steps!!!
If we go to a “drive-to” resort, I take most of our clothes on hangers, hung in the back of the van. Then, when we get to the resort, we just transfer them to the rack on the luggage cart, wheel them into the unit, and hang them in a closet, immediately. It usually works like a charm! Given the configuration of this place, along with the lack of carts, it turned out to be a BAD idea. The problem got worse when we climbed the 14 steps to the master bedroom, and found that THERE WAS NO PLACE TO HANG CLOTHES!!!! The bedroom is a loft, with a sloped ceiling. Down at the base of the slope, there were two closets, about 3 feet high, and neither had a clothes bar in it! It became the place where we stashed the empty suitcases, but was USELESS for clothes! We had to hang all of those items in one of the downstairs bedrooms. NOT CONVENIENT IF YOU WERE DRESSING UPSTAIRS AND HADN’T THOUGHT TO BRING A CHANGE OF CLOTHES WITH YOU!!! Also not convenient if the downstairs bedrooms are occupied by other people! There were only 3 small drawers under a TV in each bedroom.
The master bedroom had a whirlpool tub, separate shower, and small enclosure for the toilet. UNFORTUNATELY, THE DESIGNER DIDN’T ALLOW ENOUGH SPACE FOR A PERSON’S KNEES WHEN USING THE TOILET!!! I AM 5’8” AND COULDN’T CLOSE THE DOOR! BIZARRE!!!
On our first day, we had to request more teaspoons. We only had one. They brought them quickly. (None of them matched, not that that was important…) Then I saw that the non-stick surface of the only frying pan had been mostly scraped off (a health hazard) and one of the coffee mugs had PAINT RESIDUE in it (looked like someone’s child had used it for arts and crafts). They brought replacements after 2 days.
One missing TV remote control was replaced quickly.
The light switch at the base of the 14 steps didn’t work, and, not wanting to walk up all of those steps in the dark every night, we reported it. It took FIVE DAYS and at least 5 calls for a maintenance person to respond. When he finished his work (we had left the condo) we found that the ceiling fan light over the bed had been wired in such a way that you could NOT use the fan without the light being on! Not good if you wanted to sleep while using the fan! Even after the light worked, it still didn’t illuminate the stairway.
When I broke a small bottle, I looked in the utility closet for a broom. There wasn’t one. There was a “Dustbuster-on-a stick”, but IT DIDN’T WORK EITHER! We had to borrow a broom from one of the residents to clean up the glass. I reported it that morning, (Wednesday) but when we checked out (Friday) they had still not replaced it.
There is apparently no mid-week linen exchange.
The bedspread in the master bedroom was stained, as was the blanket.
There were 8 different “light” switches that didn’t work.
The door frame around the front door appeared to have been kicked in previously, and had been repaired in such a way that a good hip-bump could have easily caused the door to spring open. It didn’t make us feel very secure!
At least 3 of the ugly, wooden window shades didn’t have “wands” anymore, so they couldn’t be opened.
You didn’t have to complete an inventory when you moved in, and it was obvious when we found the lack of spoons, as well as the pots which had once been there. There were 7 lids for 4 pots. We only had 4 wine glasses and 4 juice glasses. Not enough for a 3 bedroom unit!
The ironing board was the tiny, tabletop kind that you’d see in a school dorm room!
There was only one phone in the unit, which was downstairs on the wall by the kitchen. It’s a LONG jog down the 14 stairs if someone calls while you’re upstairs in the loft!
Cell phone reception can be spotty or impossible at times.
There is no access to the internet in these units.
A late check out will cost you $100…no exceptions!
On a positive note, the exercise room and pool complex were impressive.
Although your first impression might be that you could use the facilities at the nearby Crystal Springs Resort, you can’t.
There is VERY little to do in the surrounding area if you’re not a golfer or skier. We DID discover an old fashioned drive-in movie theater in Warwick, NY. (The Warwick Drive In). Worth the 20 minute drive.
Because this is a residential condo community, you don’t get a “vacation atmosphere”. This was especially true for us when our next door neighbor decided to BLOW THE LEAVES OFF THE ENTIRE DECK SURROUNDING HIS UNIT AND OURS AT 6:30 a.m.! He was oblivious to the fact that we were on vacation and MIGHT want to “sleep in”!
We would never return to this resort!!! You should think twice about it, too!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
MineralsResort, Hotel Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
Dear Timeshare guests,

We profusely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at the Timeshare resort.

We have forwarded this posting to the Timeshare Manager to address.

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate all reviews.

If there's anything we can do, please don't hesitate to contact the Timeshare office at the resort.

Management

Been to Minerals Hotel? Share your experiences!