“What a pleasant Suprise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Minerals Hotel

You added Minerals Hotel to your Saves list
Minerals Hotel
Route 94 & 2 Chamonix Drive, Crystal Springs Resort, Vernon, NJ 07462 (Formerly Minerals Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vernon
Yonkers, New York
“What a pleasant Suprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had a few friends staying at Grand Cascades for the Thanksgiving weekend and wanted to join them. Unfortunately, it was not in my budget so I was recommended to stay at Minerals Resort and Spa. The stay I had over the past weekend was incredible. The front desk made me feel welcomed and wanted as they had known it was my first time staying there. I used a bellman and the young man was very knowledgeable about the resort and what it had to offer. The outdoor pool was amazing especially at night. My kids loved how the pool lit up during the night and changed colors. I stood in a Luxury room with a king size and a pullout queen. I stood on the 5th floor which i recommend since it is the top floor. The scenery around the area was like something of a movie and definately made me feel like I was on a vacation. The only complaint I would have is the towels they give out are too small so bring your own! Other then that i definitely recommend this place if you find yourself in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here after Hurricane Sandy on a business trip, not a place I would have normally chosen but it was one of the few places that had vacancies.
The property was extremely nice, the rooms very well appointed and spacious. The pool was huge and really well designed. I did not use the spa facilities so I cannot comment on them. I did use the fitness room which has a lot of equipment of good quality.
The bar restaurant "Kites" was very good, the food was good quality and they had a good selection of beers to choose from.
Overall I would recommend this lodging if you are going to be in the area, even if your intention is not to utilize the spa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went for stay and spa package for relaxing night away with my wife. Spa and restaurant at sister property were very good. However, sleep was another matter altogether. Walls are paper thin so we heard every cough and television show in adjacent rooms. Also we could hear conversations in hallway as if they were standing in the room next to our bed. Finally, we had the pleasure of listening to the sounds of furniture moving, stomping footsteps, and music from room above us all night. Called front desk @2:45am to complain but party didn't end until 3:30am. Awful experience especially for the money spent!

• Stayed November 2012
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I visited this property with my wife and children and had a great time at the resort. This was a last minute retreat (unplanned escape before kids schools started) booked the day before our arrival.

Overall, the rooms were great. Very clean, very comfortable. We booked adjoining rooms with sliding glass doors that opened out into a big field (which my boys loved in the morning while we were getting ready for the day). The kitchenette was very clean and a lifesaver with little kids. I would grade the rooms 5 out of 5.

That's pretty much the highlight of the trip.

The staff is young and totally overworked. They really don't have too many answers for you and just go about doing their jobs without really paying attention to their guests.

There are multiple pools. The smallest of them (not including the jacuzzi) is the only heated pool. So that pool is the most crowded, mostly with kids, and has a weird cloudiness to it. There is a nice spray park for the little ones and a cool cliff for jumping into the main pool. The indoor pool is absolutely freezing!!! Not a great experience for little kids. As a side note, the towels at the pool are horrible. They are oversized hand towels that barely cover a child no less an adult.

The gymnasium is a great spot for the kids to burn off some steam but there are no organized sports or games for anyone.

We ate at the Kites Restaurant on the property once. It's pricy for what it is, but they are trying to keep the ambiance more upscale. The problem is that there's no where else to bring the kids to eat. The service was slow but since we had 3 kids in tow they kind of rushed us through which was great because all the tables around us seemed to be waiting forever to get served. This goes back to being understaffed and the staff not really caring - that's management's fault, not the young employees.

The big problem with this place is that it's a great property with soooo much potential. All they need to do is hire what I would call a "cruise director" to simply organize events throughout the day and evening. I'm not asking for them to watch my kids but offer some more activities. They had a movie night which consisted of a projector in a racquetball court with no where to sit. They have marshmallow roasting over a gas fire pit with sticks they picked off the ground with no supervision. They have a day care center and the person working there sat there all day with no kids.
The resources are applied to the wrong areas. With a little organization could go a long way on this property.

There isn't a lot in the surrounding area so be prepared to entertain your (little) kids on your own.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay. We are a family of four including children ages 6 and 8. I must say that my expectations were not high upon planning this short getaway. I had read reviews and did not expect that there would be so much to do.
I will begin with the negatives. There aren't many. First....please invest in better quality towels for the room and the pool area. Normally I wouldn't even think to comment about something so ridiculous. I am the type of person who is happy to be on vacation and hate to comment on simple things, BUT the towels are horrific !!!!! Also, service in Kites is sporadic. A few staff members were clearly miserable!!! Everyone is entitled to have a bad day, but we ate there 5 times and the same waitresses were frowning and seemed to be annoyed to have customers. On one occassion, a young man serving water actually said, "This is the American Dream...I just live to do this". Honestly, my husband and I work very hard and look forward to getting away with our children. This was a very unfair way to start our day. Our children even commented and asked if they did something to make him angry. The breakfast buffet on Sunday was not replenished and items had been picked over (examples, one dougnut in a tray, one spoonful of fruit in the fruit bowl, etc.). I understand if it was in transition between breakfast and lunch, but someone should of mentioned that to us. We payed the same as people who had the fresh buffet early in the morning. The concierge was not helpful at all and seemed annoyed when I asked questions. The same attitude was found in the Sports Club. Either staff was very friendly or completely miserable. Not a smile to be had.....
Now for the positive....the pools are clean and gorgeous. Swimming outdoors in the evening with a glass of wine was magical. The mountain views were beautiful. There are many activities for adults and children. We hiked the mountain and played racquet ball. Our children participated in the kids activities and enjoyed each and every activity. A special thanks to Ms. Malfada, the Hip Hop and Tumbling instructor. She was so upbeat and welcoming!!!!!
We plan to return in a few months. Hopefully we will experience new towels and more friendly staff members. The resort is truly perfect for a long weekend. It offers a perfect balance of activity and relaxation. The potential is for it to be a 5 star property (more relaxed than Grand Cascades) and I mean that in a good way. Grand Cascades, the sister property is beyond gorgeous and definately a higher level resort, however the clientelle is on the obnoxious side. By that I mean "snooty". They were very loud in the Crystal Tavern restaurant and clearly wanted people to hear their conversation. How am I supposed to teach my children appropriate restaurant manners when the table next to us is loudly talking and laughing about their nail appointments and bankruptcty plans. They also appeared annoyed that a family with children was sitting next to them....lol, my children were much better behaved than they were... I prefer the "down to earth" clientelle of Minerals.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at Minerals with 2 of my girlfriends for a girls getaway weekend. Overall, we had a great time!
Here are the positives:
-Awesome indoor/outdoor pool. Pools were clean and well kept. Jacuzzi was nice. One wasn't working but it wasn't super crowded so the one was great. Outdoor pool was fantastic in the fall- very warm! Felt like we were in Colorado!
-Fitness center- great- lots of equipment, well-kept.
-Concierge in lobby was very informative.
-Free shuttle between Minerals and Grand Cascades. They even brought us to a local, off property restaurant for dinner one night and picked us up!
-Wine tasting and cellar tour at Grand Cascades was great!!
-Kites Bar- great drinks and area to hang out at night. DJ was great!
-We had a Deluxe Room (lowest room category). It was nice, updated bath.

Here are the negatives:
-Elements Spa was nothing great. We had facials and I've had much better ones. The technician that my friend and I had wore latex gloves during the facial (???) so strange and made it not as enjoyable. There also wasn't a lot of areas to "relax" before or inbetween your spa appointments.
-Kites Restaurant- food was okay, but service was terrible. Our server waited until the end of our meal to tell us it was her 2nd day on the job. We would have been much more patient and understanding had she told us that first!
-Aerobics room in the fitness center is TINY! If you want to take a class, get there 15 mins early to claim a spot and prepare to be cramped!

We had a great weekend and would return again, but would likely try Reflections Spa at Grand Cascades instead of Elements.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Denville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to go close to home, but would be a great few days away. Exactly what we found at Minerals Resort & Spa. Lots to do in the area, wineries, apple picking, hiking,zip lines at Mt. Creek, and the gondola ride was free to ride up the mountain. Went in Ocotber, trees are just beautiful, views were amazing. The outdoor heated pool, made the trip for us. To be outside in the pool looking at the stars in the sky, was just a perfect way to relax from our busy day. Truly recommend staying here, and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Minerals Hotel? Share your experiences!