“Condo rental at black creek sanctuary - great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

You added Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary to your Saves list
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary
200 Route 94, Vernon, NJ 07462   |
Jersey City
“Condo rental at black creek sanctuary - great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We rented a condo at black creek sanctuary.
Liked:
The Pool
Fishing
Water park nearby (2 min drive)
Mini golf
Friendly people who live in the condos year round. Met lots of sociaable people at the bbq are etc

On second day was visited by family of 3 bears right outside the patio screen door. Made for interesting times.

• Stayed August 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was placed in this hotel for winning a sales promotion at work. To say that I was unhappy is an understatement! My room was very mediocre, there is nothing to eat in this hotel, no restaurant nor room service. There is also no bar.

I was put in a ground floor room that was 10-15 yards from the pool, yet my patio door didn't lock!! This was never fixed, and my room was not moved.

The hotel staff is rude and not helpful. The pool was crappy, reminiscent of a backyard pool. The closest place to eat was 15 minutes away. The rest of my party stayed at the cascades, and that is where you want to stay if you have to be in Vernon. This hotel is a nightmare

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Appalachian Lodge is quite fine, but nothing "unforgettable". The room (studio) was nice and spacious, clean and quite. The pool area should be better since it's almost impossible to find a spot of shadow and there were not umbrellas (except for one...)
But the worst experience I had on this resort was at the Kite's restaurant. I have been addressed there since the environment should have been "family friendly". The first impression for the Minerals & Spa structure in genera is of a diffused "dirtiness"...The elevator to access the restaurant and some kitchen carts I saw coming out full of food were really very greasy and sticky.
The menu is quite poor and overpriced. The food quality is under the expectations for a resort of this level.
I guess I will not come back again...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We also were here for a wedding. The day of the wedding I went to the pool. Climbed down the ladder and slipped on ladder and toe hurt pretty badly. Not wanting to make a scene, I endured the pain. That evening at the wedding several doctors looked at it (it had become worse, and swollen and very red) and they told me to get a tetanus shot in the next few days. Since we were leaving the next morning for NYC, I booked an appointment at a walk in clinic in New York near our hotel. They were able to respond to my Sunday e-mail and see me the next day. When we returned home from vacation I called the hotel to see about getting reimbursed for my tetanus shot. The on duty manager was very rude, and said they wouldn't be reimbursing me and she hung up on me. The hotel was nothing special, and the pool had rust stains near the ladder, which was why I was concerned.

Room Tip: We had a view of a construction vehicle. No balcony, although there were plenty of them.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I'm not even sure why I'm wasting another second on this "resort" but hopefully it saves another potential guest from making the same mistake I did. My gf and I stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding that I was a groomsman in. I know that this was an out-of-season stay in a ski resort but wow.... just close the place down during the summer and the spring. This place was a complete and utter joke. This hotel space is huge. During our stay i would guess that there were less than 50 people staying in a hotel that could handle 1000. I understand that a hotel won't be staffed up during times like this, but there was NO ONE working the front desk, ever! I would wait at the front desk to ask questions, get shuttles, etc for 30 minutes before I would see a hotel worker. Meanwhile the phones are ringing off their hooks. Luckily a janitor came out of the spa bathroom and called the shuttle guy for me, who was actually quite helpful. It is clear that this place is very close to foreclosure or closing or whatever. The first floor is dedicated to about 8-10 storefront that remain one hundred percent vacant... leaving the resort with NO dining options. I'm not kidding. This place had no restaurant/room service etc. Its also worth noting that its in the middle of nowhere so good luck getting delivery. Oh and the room was expensive and mediocre. I just remembered the BED. THE WORST BED IVE EVER SLEPT ON. I could go on, and on, and on

Room Tip: Just don't stay here off season, ever.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed at the Appalachian in April and were part of a wedding party. Perhaps our expectations were too high, but I felt like i was more let down than accommodated. First, the name of the lodge is very confusing. It goes by multiple names and the sign on the street refers to Mountain Creek, causing many of us to get lost because we passed right by. I'm unsure why the hotel must have so many names.

I use the word 'hotel' strategically because it was marketed as a 'resort' and it most certainly is not. Again, we were not there during ski season, so I'm unsure if certain amenities just aren't offered in the ski season. One thing I expected from a 'resort' was some sort of dining options. There is no food options during the day. I did see a sign for a fine dining experience which even had limited nights where it was offered, but this is far from the quote from the confirmation email which reads: "For your dining pleasure, we offer 12 unique restaurants, bistros, pubs, and cafes." One day, we found ourselves with absolutely no food options. The rooms do offer cook top stoves and refrigerators. I just wish they had told us that we needed to use/stock them if we wanted to eat. The reason we like choosing 'resorts' is so that we don't have to think about food and groceries while on vacation.

We called the operator twice - once to ask about dining options and the other for a wake up call. We were on hold for 10 -15 minutes respectively before hanging up. The first time, one of us just went to the lobby to ask about dining. The second time, we hung up and called from the mobile phone to request a wake up call. When you are on hold indefinitely, you continuously hear a recording apologizing for the wait and informing callers that the calls are taken in 'priority order'. I assume this is not in the oder of dialling, but in the order of which resort you are staying in. i personally found this offensive, when I was just asking for a wake up call.

Speaking of the wake up call, we happened to wake up before the time of the call. We noticed the time pass of the requested call and were not too concerned. However, 25 minutes after the requested time, we received an automated call. If our flights had been dependent on that call, we could have missed our flights. Again, not impressive from a place that calls itself a 'resort.'

The hot water is more like warm water. I could never stay there in the winter when you really need hot water. I've never stayed in a US hotel that had such lukewarm water in the shower.

Finally, there was a loud pump noise that occurred 24 hours a day. If anyone from Appalachian is curious to know if we called, please see the points above regarding the inability to report such matters by phone. I think it was related to every time another room flushed their toilet because is sounded like a water pump, but I cannot be sure. Other guests spoke of the same thing.

The room was clean and spacious, but the service was not really existent. We stayed two nights and our room was never cleaned. I would have expected daily service from a 'resort'.

I'm sure my rating would have been higher if my expectations were simply set appropriately.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Appalachian Hotel at Mountain Creek is exceptional for East Coast skiing. We have stayed there many times and continually enjoy each visit. The setting is unique in the East - certainly in the mid-Atlantic...It's proabably the only place where you can stay in Colorado-like accomodations (post-and-beam, fireplaces, etc) with outdoor pool and hot-tubs slope side, literally steps away from 50+ trails (with excellent snowmaking this (warm) season) and Aspen class dining/ decor in the new base lodge. The staff is always friendly, well trained and very accomodating - they are professinal and well managed. A great choice for a "real" ski trip close to home. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: any slope view room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary? Share your experiences!