“Beachside (but not on the beach)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast

You added Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   105 South Little Rock Avenue, Ventnor City, NJ 08406   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Ventnor City B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beachside (but not on the beach)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed over the MLK weekend at this B&B. It is not "luxury" as was advertised, but suited us fine. We are not very nit-picky. We actually did not stay in the "main house" of the B&B, but instead in the "Cottage house" across the street.

Room: Our room needs some updating, but large comfortable bed (King) and it was clean. Floor is not even, kind of tips toward the middle of the house, which was a bit off-putting. Also, although we were there in January, it got very warm in the room overnight and we didn't know how to control the temp, ultimately opened a window for a couple hours. Also, always have bottled water available in small fridge in the hall. Great addition. Also they provided travel soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and refilled each day.

B&B: They have a "social" every evening with wine/apps etc in the main house. That was fun. Sat in front of fireplace and played checkers for a bit. Quite comfortable.

Food: Breakfast was good, standard. Had a buffet option while waiting for made-to-order French toast, pancakes, omelettes, eggs, etc. Very filling.

Location: I thought it was perfect. Outside of Atlantic city, but only about 1/2 block to the boardwalk. You could walk to AC if you wanted. I think about 1.5 mi. Also about 6 blocks from jitney stop that takes you all around AC for cheap! $2.50/person. Street parking not an issue in January, but I could see it being very tough in the summer.

Would stay here again for the money.

Room Tip: Can't comment on the rooms in the main house, but in the cottage would opt for king bed as I don...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had a great room with a small kitchen, the location is a few steps from the beach, the breakfast was wonderful, the hosts extremely nice, the casinos are a 45 minutes walk along the boardwalk, highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed in room 6 (the purple room) in the main inn. Our room was okay, but the bathroom is VERY tiny. We could barely close the door while sitting on the toilet (not good for anyone taller than 5'5''!) The walls are pretty thin...there was a couple in the "honeymoon sweet" the same weekend we were there, and we could hear them a lot...they also used their jacuzzi tub in the middle of the night, which woke us up. We couldn't go back to sleep until they were finished. I wouldn't recommend a room on the first floor either. They are right next to the kitchen and main dining room. I would imagine them to be pretty noisy, especially in the morning. Not good if you want to sleep in. The lobby was very nice and the breakfast was delicious. We only saw the housekeeper/inn keeper (?) twice, when we checked in, and when we checked out. She didn't introduce herself, so I'm not exactly sure who she was.

Room Tip: Stay away from first floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We got a room here because we were going to a concert in Atlantic City.
- Broken down
- Dirty
- Stained carpet
- Inn keeper, while not rude, was not friendly
- Dogs rushed at us upon entering (not a problem for us, but it could be for others)
- Parking was included, but around the corner
- Room was TINY, sheets looked dirty
- View was of neighboring construction site
- Nighttime "cocktail" hour was AWFUL and unsanitary (warm american cheese, stale tortilla chips, gross queso dip)
- Breakfast in the morning was good. That was the highlight.
- We didn't even want to shower there, so we just left and showered at home.

We will not be back.

Room Tip: Don't get room 10...unless you like sleeping in a closet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carisbrooke-Manager, Owner at Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
First I would like to thank you for taking time to write a review. We appreciate every review.

I would also like to tell you that I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at my inn. We do take it seriously whenever we do not meet our guests expectations, so again I am very sorry.

We routinely try to determine who a guest might have been by the details of the review and from yours it appears you stayed in room 10. We have not had anyone stay in room 10 for nearly a month so I can't really get any context of the time you stayed. I will do my best to respond to your concerns.

I wish you could have been more specific about what you thought was broken down or dirty. If your room or bathroom had anything which was broken or dirty it was never brought to our attention during your stay. We put a lot of focus on keeping the place very clean so I am sorry if you found something which was not. We also do our best to maintain the property, but it is a 100 year old house just 300 feet from the ocean and things do sometimes break from use or the elements.

Although it is possible there were stains in the carpet (people spill coffee and wine frequently) we do clean them pretty regularly. Unfortunately in our main hallway on the 2nd and 3rd floor, and in room 10, the carpeting which was recommended to us turned out to be susceptible to bleach spots. Our cleaning staff regularly uses bleach to clean the bathrooms and when we are busy sometimes drip bleach on the rugs. These rugs show it. We will replace them but they are only about 4 years old so we have been holding off just a bit longer.

I am sorry too, if you did not find myself or my partner Agnes friendly. I'm not really sure what happened but I'm sorry. The dogs -- what can I say, they think its their house and they like to see who is coming and going. I'm sorry if they were a problem. They are generally very friendly and many of our regular guest and first time guests really enjoy having them around. We generally keep them away from guests if we know particular guests would prefer not to have them around.

We are sorry for the construction going on next door. Unfortunately we have no control over the various construction projects which go on around town. Normally there is little activity on the weekends, but there can be activity during the day mid week. Last year some people would complain about the run down motel which used to be in the space. We are hoping these new million dollar town homes will make the neighborhood a bit nice once they are completed.

I am glad you at lease enjoyed your breakfast with us. I know it can be very disappointing when things don't work out as you plan and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I only wish you had given us a chance to fix whatever problems you had at the time you stayed but I realize it is too late to fix. I hope your next visit to Atlantic City is a better one.
Hamilton Twp NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This was our second time here. The check in was smooth, the room had a great view and the dogs were friendly. The breakfast was great, and the service was excellant. We will stay here again. The cookies in the dinning room were also a plus.

Room Tip: The third floor room in the cottage has a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It's not a "great" B&B, but it's located close enough to the boardwalk, and the rooms are good. The breakfast was delicious, and the service is good. We had the "romantic package", which included petals on the bed...which turned out to be plastic. A bit of a turn off. But everything else was good, and we found a decent deal via Groupon. For the price, it was a good deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carisbrooke-Manager, Owner at Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review my B&B. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and especially breakfast. We put a lot of effort into producing great food with high quality, fresh ingredients. Most people love our breakfasts and our homemade cookies -- who says a little butter is bad for you? I am disappointed you did not think we were a great B&B and hope you might e-mail me directly with some things we could have done better. As for the rose petals I am sorry we are not able to use real petals because the oils in rose petals cause stains to the sheets. We do use a good quality silk, artificial rose petal which has generally been an acceptable alternative. Unfortunately if we used the real rose petals we would have to charge much much more for this service to include additional costs for cleaning.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our room was nice but small. I think it's considered the best at the inn though (Room 9); I wouldn't consider staying in another room. We saw some of the others and they were just super tiny and dark.

The inn was very quiet, which I love. We were on the third floor though so maybe it's louder on other floors.

Pros:

Well, the run-down motel everyone was talking about was knocked down and now it's a vacant lot now meaning our room (9) had direct views of the ocean. Amazing. We read on the window seat and left the windows open all night and just listened to the waves. Just beautiful. I recommend a stay in that room before they build the luxury condos they're advertising in the lot and block the view and sound.

The Boardwalk is like a 30-second walk up the street and the beach had no one on it but the gulls, sandpipers, and shells. :) Beautiful start to both our days. I'd stay at this location again just for that.

The casinos are just a few-minute straight shot up Atlantic Ave., the street that intersects with the inn's street and the parking lot around the corner. Impossible to get lost.

I was afraid the area would be unsavory, like most of AC, but it was a perfectly fine and quiet area.

I have a lot of anxiety and there were ample fire escapes and exits and so forth which made me feel very secure.

Price is very competitive. It would've cost us the same amount to stay at Revel.

Breakfast caters to vegetarians easily.

Room was clean.

Cons:

The place needs a paint job and new carpets throughout. It's very worn-looking. It's getting to the point where it seems like no one cares and that's never a good sign.

I believe snacks are left out between 5-6 which we missed the first night because we were getting dinner (odd time, right around dinner... should be afternoon or night, really) and we're not sure it happened our second night, as we were back before 6 and nothing was out.

The breakfasts were lack-luster at best. The pancakes and French toast had the same very odd/off taste that I couldn't quite place. Some weird spice? Egg beaters or something instead of eggs? Too much baking powder? I don't know but they really weren't good though the presentation was nice. The second breakfast messed up my stomach to the point that I spent much of the day on the toilet. Ugh. Also, the menu is the same every day so if you're staying for a few days, it will get boring. I would suggest skipping breakfast at the inn and finding it elsewhere.

There was totally a dog in the kitchen, lol. I'm assuming the health department would have an issue with that but I'm not an inspector so who knows.

I'm used to B&Bs having innkeepers that are extremely friendly, helpful, and present. We saw the main innkeeper exactly once, at the beginning of our stay, though it took us nearly 10 minutes to find him to check-in in the first place (though we came around 4 and check-in starts at 3:30). He seemed preoccupied and while courteous, not friendly. I suppose the woman serving our breakfasts was the other innkeeper but we didn't get a name and she didn't talk to us outside of asking what we wanted for breakfast so no clue.

The shower had a super shoddy tile job and there was black mold under the two seats and towards the bottom of the door. Gross. Also, the shower never got dry because the fan is outside the shower though the shower closes tightly. It was wet (the ceiling was literally dripping wet) when we arrived. There was also no water pressure.

It would've been nice to have an extra blanket in the room. There was only the sheet and a thin blanket on the bed.

Room door was tricky to lock.

Internet in seat or window seat in Room 9 was very patchy. It was fine on the bed though and it was easy to connect to.

Conclusion: I would stay again for a short trip, definitely in Room 9. I would skip breakfast.

Room Tip: Stick to Room 9. I would want to avoid the rooms on the first floor of the inn for sure; too much g...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. We take every comment seriously and use them to try to constantly improve. I will try to address some of your comments.
I am glad you seemed to have a nice stay and enjoyed Ventnor, and in particular our little section of it. We have beautiful beaches and a very calm and peaceful boardwalk.

You mentioned the carpets look worn and that it seems no one cares. I want you to know we care very much. I personally live on the property and put a great deal of time into the upkeep. These are old buildings and they take an incredible beating from both guests and the ocean environment. Some of the areas which admittedly do need to be painted are the hallways and stairway. They suffered some damage during last years hurricane and unfortunately we were unable to repaint them due to other more serious issues caused by the storm and then a busy summer and fall which made it impossible to close them off for painting. The cracks caused by the storm will be repaired and painted during the winter when things are much slower.

We provide refreshments during the hours of 5 to 6 because this turns out to be most optimal for most of our customers. We used to do them earlier but found customers either were not yet checked in or were not yet back from their days excursions. Doing them later does tend to push into most peoples dinner hours. I'm sorry you missed them.

I honestly am most surprised by your comments regarding breakfast and am very sorry you did not enjoy it either day. I will let other peoples comments on here speak for our breakfasts. The only common ingredients in our French Toast and Pancakes is eggs, salt, and vanilla. Possibly it was the vanilla which you were tasting and did not enjoy. We do make everything from fresh, basic ingredients. We do not use any mixes, no artificial coloring or flavorings other than vanilla and sometimes almond extract in the french toast. I am very sorry you did not find it agreeable. I am also sorry we did not have enough items on our menu to keep it from being boring. We used to only have one item each day and rotate them as most B&B's do. This year after suggestions from several of our regular guests, we decided to offer a fixed menu with several options each day. We decided to offer a selection of eggs cooked any way, omelets with a full choice of many ingredients, our house recipe pancakes ( blueberries optional), French Toast, and hot oatmeal. We also wanted to offer a choice of breakfast meats including bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon, turkey bacon and vegetarian sausage. We offered this in conjunction with our continental buffet of fresh fruit, juices, coffee/tea, cereals and yogurts and fresh baked scones and muffins. We generally found giving people a choice let everyone have something they liked instead of only giving them a single option. Unfortunately we are not a restaurant and do not have the complete cooking facilities necessary to offer a wider range of options.

I am sorry I was not here when you first arrived and that you had to wait 10 minutes for me to arrive. This is a large property spanning two buildings and sometimes I have to step away from the desk area to walk guests to their room or take care of things. We try not to leave the desk unattended for very long during check in hours but being a b&b instead of a hotel we do not have the same staffing levels.

The shower in the room you stayed in is a steam shower -- meaning it is like a steam room in a spa. By design it does not have a fan in it and the door intentionally seals to keep the steam in. I hope you used the steam because it is very relaxing. This can keep the shower from drying properly if the door is left closed. If this was the case when you arrived I am sorry. Normally our cleaning people leave the bath mat in the door area to prevent it from closing. I also checked into the mold you found and apologize for that. It was there. It is not in an easy place to find and I expect the housekeeper never had noticed it. We have instructed her to make sure that area is cleaned with bleach every day.

We also plan to add an extra blanket to each room during the winter. We have them available upon request (we wish you would have asked for one and if you could not find one of us we wish you would have called on one of the house phones).

I appreciate the feedback and am working to correct the problems which can be corrected. Those items which we have chosen to provide in ways you do not agree with I hope have been explained so that you at least understand we are doing some things to meet the needs of as many of our customers as possible, knowing we can't be everything to everyone.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay or anything we might be able to do to make it better the next time.

John Battista
Owner

Been to Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!