“The Bates Motel is a better choice...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clinton Manor Hotel Union

You added Clinton Manor Hotel Union to your Saves list
Clinton Manor Hotel Union
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2735 Route 22 W, Union, NJ 07083 (Formerly Travelodge Newark Airport)   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Union
Ankeny, Iowa
“The Bates Motel is a better choice...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is the scariest motel I have ever seen or been in. I was stranded at the Newark airport and this was the only motel I could get into... and now I know why. The property is not near the airport and upon arrival saw that the lobby was dirty. This should have been my first clue. The counter person was loud, unfriendly and wearing a dirty, stained shirt. After getting a room, I walked down the hall and saw the door to the outside was propped open. Not only did that let in hot air, but was also a safety concern. I opened the door to my room with a push, as the door was sticking. The room itself was dirty and unclean smelling. The paint job looked as if it had been done by a six year-old. The furniture tops (desk/table/dresser) were sticky. The bathroom counter was clean, but I almost got sick looking in the shower. The sliding door was dirty and streaked with... something. There was a bug crawling inside the tub and the grout was so moldy I would not have gone into the shower without wearing a haz-mat suit. The ONLY saving grace was the bed was comfortable. The AC was noisy and I kept waiting to hear the sounds of drug deals in the halls. The "continental breakfast" was a joke. An open loaf of bread for toast (but no butter or jelly), a broken juice machine, several oranges in a bowl, a coffee pot without its pump handle and a gallon of milk and a gallon of juice sitting on a table. The room my friend was in was just as bad, with peeling wallpaper, missing parts of a door jamb, and an open electrical socket hanging from the ceiling. How this place is allowed to stay open is a mystery to me. Save yourself -- stay in the airport instead!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

It's dirty, they know it's dirty and they don't care. It's far from the airport, though the pick-up and drop-off is good.

I didn't try the breakfast, but don't think I would have after trying to sleep there. I left a light on for the first time in my hotel-staying career, just in-case.

Cheap but still not really worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Union hotels

Swanzey, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stopped at this Travelodge because we had been on the road for 12 hours it was 4am and I just couldn't go any more so this was the closest hotel according to the GPS. I will never stay at a Travelodge again!!! The AC had a loud squeal and the hotel and our room were so hot I couldn't breathe, after having the AC on high for over 2 hours while having the fridge door open it was somewhat bearable. The fridge was all moldy on the inside, the coffee maker was filthy. The wall paper had been painted over and was falling off and just hanging there, I went to plug my phone charger into an outlet and the Sheetrock around the outlet was spongy like it had been wet at one time and was now rotten. The shampoo and conditioner were empty, the toilet would not flush so we (me my wife and our 3 children) had to use it anyways and flush it using a trash can that we filled with water from the shower. The room smelled like a musty closet. The continental breakfast had corn flake cereal, raisin bran cereal, oranges, milk, and make your own coffee in a nasty coffee maker.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here on an overnight layover on the way home from vacation - the Travelodge Newark Airport has scarred me for life! First of all, it's not at the airport. You get picked up and driven in a van without seat belts about 20mins away from the airport through some sketchy neighborhoods before winding up at the worst hotel ever to be run in the history of hotels (okay, maybe not in Afghanistan, but by North American standards, this place is a [--] hole). Specifics: hairs and stains (you know what kind) on the bed sheets. Hair and scum in the shower. Re-used soaps haphazardly placed back in their rappers. Coffee machine black and moldy with old coffee. "continental breakfast" consists of a few stale bagels and old cornflakes (don't even bother). Slept in our clothes with a hood up as everything in this place is filthy. Very concerned about getting bedbugs or god knows what else. Apparently I'm not the only one to have had a bad experience - don't be fooled by the price of this place if you need a cheap layover - sleep at the airport on the floor - it will be cleaner and more comfortable of a sleep. Wish I read reviews on this place before staying. Go to the Airport Marriot instead - money well spent. Shudder just thinking about this place - needs to be shut down very badly. Health authority?? hellloooooo?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Yesterday my return flight to Toronto was cancelled due to thunderstorms in the Newark area.I sought accomodation for the night and figured I'd be safe with a Travelodge as I have used their hotels before,you assume a certain standard to be associated with the name.I was so WRONG...The young man on the shuttle service was friendly and helpful.There were two other passengers on the shuttle also stranded,they were a married couple.The lady asked to see the room before she made up her mind and invited me to join her while her husband stayed with my luggage.Their room was in slightly better shape than the one I ended in.To be associated with the airport as an airport hotel is a rip off and a con this hotel is preying on stranded travellers.I have taken photos and will be contacting the main company if I can.Bathroom had dirty switches,tub(hair and other detritus in tracks of shower screen),lots of hair behind sink faucet.Main room dirty walls,switches,stained lamp shades,mirrors had residue and dirt on them,tv remote not working it had residueon back side,unvacuumed carpeting,stained bedding and blanket had hairs on it.Sheets appeared clean so I peeled back the rest and slept in my clothes.Slept with lighting on as I didn't want to wake up to any nasty surprises.The professional photos above appear to be same hotel but it certainly no longer looks like that!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Coshocton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

This has to be the worst hotel! Terribly disgusting and UNCLEAN! Was so afraid to go near the bed that I didn't even bother...the sheets were not clean and found several spiders in the bed. But I told myself atleast I will be able to get a shower...WRONG! The shower barely worked and had no hot water! Also the sliding glass door was in very ill repair and was lose and very unsafe! The gentleman at the counter (owner?) was rude and grouchy! Should have kept my money and slept in an airport chair!!

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room smelt dank, there was water on the carpet from the AC, there was a pair of dirty knickers in a corner, and the carpets were dirty.
Breakfast didn't seem very appealing.
Cheapest place available near the airport though, OK if you are stranded, but I slept on the floor anyway just to be safe.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Clinton Manor Hotel Union? Share your experiences!