“Good food. Fair ambiance.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Berkeley heights, New Jersey, USA
“Good food. Fair ambiance.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

ery good food! This place does not look very presentable on the outside. My friend and I were very hungry and decided to go to any diner that we see on Rt. 22. Then we saw the Union Plaza Diner. When I parked the car and looked at the exterior, I thought we would be disappointed. But I was wrong! Once we walked into the diner, it looks like a cozy version of TGI Friday. The place is very cute with all the Tiffany lamps ect. There are also pastries presented at the front desk. The place looks festive! Then we ordered what we wanted. The waiter was very friendly and upon inquiry by my friend what he personally would order, the waiter recommended something. My friend ordered it and told me it was a quality burger! Cannot remember the name of the burger but it is one of their specialties with good meat and onion and everything in it. I was going to the gym and so only ordered the most basic burger. It turned out to be nice too! I would go back and would love to recommend this place. The only thing is that, being a family-friendly diner, you actually can hear kids screaming in their seats. But that is what you get in a diner (hence the 'fair' ambiance in the title). I don't view it as a negative based on the price paid.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Springfield, New Jersey
“We're here at least once a week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Union Plaza Diner is one of those modern diners that are more like a restaurant than a diner (though they do have about six stools at a small counter). They also have an excellent bar. We are literally there at least once a week, generally for a weekend breakfast, but it's also a favorite choice for those nights when we can't decide where we want to eat. The menu is incredibly diverse - pretty much everything except Asian food. More than that - the food is simply terrific. I can't ever remember having a bad meal there, and that's well over thirteen years at least! (People put photos of their children up on a bulletin board - my son's pre-K picture is there - he just finished his first semester of college). The staff is wonderful, profesional and friendly. Several of them are old friends by now (we know most of them by name). Though it's always crowded, we've never waited more than 15 minutes to get a table (it's a fairly large place). My friends in California always look forward to coming here when they come to visit us. If you haven't tried the UPD yet, you need to!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Gordon Ramsey would HATE that the menu is so large, but they seem to make everything well. Its in a terrible location - then again anything on 22 is bad, but it's fairly cheap and they've got an excellent drink menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Fantastic Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is probably our favorite breakfast spot.It looks like your average diner,but it always has a lot of people.Very diverse if not great menu,but they excel at breakfast and have some of the best waffles,and pancakes on par with the famous Brownstone

Visited September 2012
Union, New Jersey
“Union Plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Good New Jersey Diner with excellent desserts made daily on premises. The prices are fair and their dinner options are plentiful. My wife and I come here all the time late at night to pick up dessert on weekends after a night out in NYC.