“Great hotel at super value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River

You added Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   815 State Route 37 West, Toms River, NJ 08755 (Formerly Quality Inn Toms River)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Toms River
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great hotel at super value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

We've been visiting this hotel for Jersey shore visits for years. After some annoying construction last summer, the results were well worth the annoyance: The update of the central lobby area is beautifully done, and other renovations and maintenance are 1st class. The grounds and pool area are immaculate. More importantly, our room was squeaky clean...such a relief compared to other experiences we've had at other hotels. The hot breakfast (included in the cost) was filling and tasty, and the coffee is GREAT! (Check out the do-it-yourself Belgian wafflemaker!). The hotel is entirely smoke-free. This Quality Inn hotel is a very reasonable cost for all it offers.
The hotel does now allow dogs in one wing of it. We will absolutely be back again, but will be sure to ask for a room that has not hosted pets. (We didn't ask specifically for this on this visit, and our room had clearly not hosted a pet, but we don't want to take any chances...)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

My parents and I checked into the Quality Inn attending a family function. The hotel has been renovated and looks brand new, inside and out. The desk staff was very nice and accomodating. The rooms were renovated, large with comfortable beds. A very nice pool outside. A very nice lounge that opens at 4pm with great drink prices !! Breakfast is buffett and was included in our room. Eggs, Sausage, Yogurt, Juice Coffee, and make your own Waffles !!! Truly a value.

The hotel is an excellent Value and extremely central to all major parkways,,,,I would definitiely stay there again. The rooms were immaculate and the beds were very very comdortable. Great Job Quality Inn !!!

• Stayed July 2009
summerway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

I would not stay at this motel again. For the price I paid it was not worth It. However the manager is friendly and tried to help me. The front desk staff were very unhelpful and couldn't help a visitor about the attractions of the area. They didn't offer any paper information except the the day staff. Other staff didn't even try help you.

Also the construction had woke me up at one point and is very unattractive and smelly.

Also I won't use expedia or other websites if you couldn't get a statement or any discounts from hotel.

Please don't stay here ever.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BVBTomsRiver_NJ, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River, responded to this review, September 26, 2008
We're concerned about your experience at our hotel during your recent visit and I would to thank you for your review and taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept our my sincere apology. We do
want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

We apologize to you and all of guests for any inconveniences during our renovation. Our renovations are now complete. It was not our intention to do our renovations at such a busy time, however, due to scheduling conflicts and approvals, we had no other alternative to make these improvements.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us and hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the service you derserve on your next visit to our area.
scranton PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed at the Quality for the second time this past summer as we use it when we go to the shore. It is going through some renovations at the moment and thought it was kind of cute that my husband came out with little construction hats that he received when checking in ( a real bonus for the kids!). However, one complaint is when you walk in to proceed to your room the corridors are always really warm and kind of smell of stale cigarette smoke, I don't know if they can air condition the corridors or not but it would be a big plus in the summer time! Also, our tv reception was really bad, you were able to see the picture but there was a lot of fuzziness, my husband thought this might have been due to the construction that was taking place at the time. Also upon walking into the bathroom it kind of had a damp smell to it, like wet towels. The bedspreads could use a little updating as well, as they kind of have almost a 1970s feel to them! Other than that it was a pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
We're concerned about your experience at our hotel during your recent visit. We thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

We also updated our television service. It was at the time you were here. We have added 24 more stations as well as upgraded our equipment for better viewing.

We want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong, and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Again, we want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and concerns with us.

We look forward to the opportunity in serving your future lodging needs.
Tulsa, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

For the price paid, we were dismayed when we drove up; the place needs an extreme makeover! Upon entering we saw that the hotel was in the midst of one. The lobby ceiling was totally torn up and there was scaffoling, drop cloths, everywhere. The corridor carpet was stained, however the room itself was okay. The two sink vanities was an added convenience. The outdoor pool was nothing to write home about. We asked if we could cancel our reservation due to all of the remodeling, but were told that since we booked through Orbitz, the hotel could not refund our money, so we stayed. The internet was down the second day, and we were awakened by what seemed like jackhammering outside our window. The breakfast buffet was fine. When we checked out after two nights, we saw that our room had about $50 discounted for each night, so that helped make the price more reasonable given the remodeling phase. This hotel definitely needed the update, but I think they should let the customers know what's going on when they make a reservation.

• Liked — Two sink vanities--one inside the bathroom and one outside
  • Disliked — location, appearance
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience during our renovations. I'm happy to say that our renovations are now complete. I must admit, the pool area was not as appealing as usual due to the construction and renovations going on.

We hope you will give us another opportunity in serving your future lodging needs.
somewhere in nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

Hotel was just average for the location and price. despite all the no smoking warnings and signs on each door, the corridor where our room was located stunk like a stale ash tray.

• Stayed October 2007

Your rooom was probably located near our former smoking section of rooms. We are now completely smoke free as of January 1, 2008 and all our guests rooms and the netire hotel is "smoke free"

Eastern Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

The "Jersey shore" is overall highly over-rated but a huge draw from large populations of NYC and Philly. This hotel has many different uses: group events such as weddings and other parties; people use the parking lot to take buses to casino-land; and a meeting place for local groups such as Chambers of Commerce, etc.

My objections: (1) this hotel has 2 stories but no elevator. I did get a ground floor room, but the nearest exit also involved a set of concrete stairs.

(2) The lobby smells very bad. Not sure what causes it but is reminiscent of rugs that were wet and never completely dried out and have mildew and rot.

(3) the bed I had was quite uncomfortable. On this trip I finally discovered what the cause of what a lot of people call "lumpy beds." It's those felt-like mattress pads that have no anchor -- especially if the mattress itself has a slick top, the pad slides around at the slightest body movement and by morning is bunched up. I bought myself an inexpensive mattress pad to use while I was there and usually re-made the bed after the sheets had been changed to get the corners completely on so the sheet itself wouldn't slide off.

(4) the housekeeping staff speaks almost no English. One of them brought in the tiny cube refrigerator I needed for my 2-week business stay. As I was checking out, he came to the door and asked something with the word "refrigerator" in it -and I said, sure he could remove it. Then I realized he wanted a tip! But didn't dare ask outright as he'd probably be fired. Or didn't know enough English to ask outright. This event was disconcerting enough that I forgot to retreive an item I had left in the microwave. Small price to pay for lessons learned about not staying there.

(5) There's a breakfast buffet which has all the high-fat and high-carb stuff. Didn't have a toaster! And had signs warning "guests" to not take food from there to their rooms.

(6) at least one front desk staff was quite haughty - let me know that I was fortunate to be allowed to stay there! (I hung on to my Tripadvisor backpack to remind me to write this review!)

However, in her defense I'll say she's just a product of the area -- Toms River is not a place to go where you have to deal with the local people -- they are rude, even to paying tourists who provide much of the income of the area. I guess they think "rude" is cute. It works for Stephanie Plum, but not for any real people I met there.

Fine to stay here if you're only needing a way-place going somewhere else. Or if you have to go to your niece's wedding and there's no other options. Otherwise, it's worth giving it a miss.

• Liked — Close to where I needed to work
  • Disliked — Generally bad attitude to business travelers
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River? Share your experiences!