“Clean but small rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of TR Hotel

You added TR Hotel to your Saves list
TR Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   290 Highway 37 East, Toms River, NJ 08753 (Formerly Holiday Inn Toms River)   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Toms River
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Clean but small rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

First let me say the staff were very friendly and helpful. The elevator made strange sounds. We were on the 3rd floor and our room overlooked the roof of part of the hotel. The room was very small. Other than a microtell it was the smallest room we had on our trip through New England.
The room and bath were clean, no complaint there. Also since the hotel had a restaurant there was no free breakfast

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear gtmobill,

Thank you for your review! It is great that the staff was helpful and friendly, but we are sorry that the elevator was making some noises and that your accommodations were smaller than you expected. We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope you consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area.

Holiday Inn Toms River

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have been staying at the Holiday Inn in Toms River for a year now. It has been a pleasure to be greeted, welcomed, and accommodated by Ms. Jennifer Hayden Schel. She always courteous and cheerful and easy to talk to. I never have to wait to check in (or out) and she has the kind of room I like ready. I find her attitude and delivery to be professional. She handles the staff the same way she does me, with professionalism and grace. I really appreciate the extra touch, going out of her way to accommodate requests. As the senior manager of a client services team, I want all the folks out there to know that Jennifer represents the best in customer service. Best wishes to all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for the wonderful 5-star review! It is great to hear that Jennifer has made you feel right at home during your stay. Your review will be shared with Jennifer and the rest of the staff as we never get tired of reading amazing reviews! Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Karen on night shift was extremely kind and helpful. Her work is the description of customer satisfaction. She went out of her way to help me!! The location of the hotel was also fantastic, close to many restaurants and a short drive to the beach

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Mbrown261,

Thank you for the fantastic 5-star review! Your great review will be shared with Karen and the rest of the staff as I am sure they will love reading all your wonderful comments. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I reserved a room at the Holiday Inn in Toms River for a wedding about 2 months prior to the wedding date. I spoke with someone and informed them that I either needed two rooms or a room with 2 double beds and a cot as we would be having 5 people in the room. I confirmed twice that I needed a cot and was guaranteed there would be a cot upon arrival. I called about 3 weeks before the date and talked to the front desk supervisor to see about early check-in and to confirm the cot. She said that she could not guarantee early check-in but did confirm the note about the cot.

When I checked in (after check-in time by the way), I was informed that the cot would be delivered to the room within 5 -10 minutes. Halfway through the reception, I went up to the room to check that the cot had been delivered, but it was not there. After calling the front desk, I was informed that there were no more cots available, that there was no way that I was guaranteed a cot as that was not in their policy, and that it was basically my problem.

Once I hung up the phone, I went down to the front desk with the names of the people I had spoken to on both occasions and the confirmation number. The two current front desk workers informed me that the first employee that I spoke to no longer worked there and that the second was not supposed to guarantee me anything (as if that was explanation enough). I asked to speak with a supervisor and she basically reiterated what the first two people told me. She also offered me a blow up mattress - oh great! After explaining to her that this was unacceptable, she informed me that that was all she could do for me. Only after requesting, did she offer to cut the cost of the room in half.

I will say the wedding was nice - the waitstaff was very pleasant and the food was decent. It was open bar, but the drinks seemed pretty weak or watered-down.

Overall though, the customer service was horrendous, including the bartender at the bar after the wedding. I was not the only person at the wedding who seemed to have problems with reservations, check-ins, and customer service. If the waitstaff at the wedding weren't so nice, this hotel would get a 1 star from me. Ironically though, as I was walking out of the room to checkout, I noticed Holiday's Inn Hospitality Promise ... HILARIOUS.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Jenny F, Manager at TR Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Ashley333,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Toms River. We appreciate your feedback and would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. We did make a note in the system that you requested a cot when you made your reservation. However, we do not guarantee cots. Our staff suggested to make another room reservation in case a cot was not available upon your check-in. We would have cancelled the additional room if a cot was available. We apologize that you did not completely enjoy your stay, and we wish you the best in your future travels.

Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in the "new wing". New? Well, the carpeting seemed to be. However the beds were awful, the air-conditioner was noisy, the new carpeting had stains, the furniture between the two beds had a white stain going down the front.
Then, there was their restaurant. There's no complimentary breakfast at all. They offer a buffet at $9.95. I wouldn't take it as it looked sad. I ordered two poached eggs on an English muffin. They came out hard boiled and separate from the dry, cold English muffin. I asked that it be done over. Twenty minutes later, I asked where my food was. It came out done correctly. When I asked why it took so long, the reply was "Well...they had to boil that water again". Folks, I can't make that up.
The coffee also tasted like dishwater too.
When I shared this with the front desk, it was removed from my bill.
The hotel also has an outdoor and indoor swimming pool but I never used it.
In my opinion, this hotel needs someone to go there and make it what it should be!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jenny F, Manager at TR Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear eslmavin,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Toms River. We are disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. Your review has been shared with management and the staff to ensure situations like this do not occur again. Thank you again for your review, and we hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Toms River overnight with a soccer team group. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Several people in our group had problems with mold in their rooms and a terrible mildew smell. The hotel gave free breakfast to those who complained. One room had obvious mold growth on the walls. One of the bathrooms had obvious water damage to the tiles behind the toilet. We thought that our room had been spared. However, the air conditioning system kicked on while we were sleeping, bringing the terrible mildew smell with it as well as a terrible allergy attack for me. The breakfast was great. Kids eating free was a nice bonus. Seating was limited due to a private party and many guests had a long wait to eat.

• Stayed August 2013
Jenny F, Manager at TR Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Kiramarie611,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Toms River on TripAdvisor! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and the amenities we offer. We apologize you and the group you were traveling with experienced some inconveniences during your stay. Your review has been shared with management, and your concerns will be addressed as soon as possible. Thank you again, and we hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Dover, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were disappointed with our stay at the Holiday Inn Toms River.

The Negative:

-No early check in- not even 30 minutes early. All the available rooms were allegedly still dirty
-The elevator was broken down - I know it's unforeseeable and can happen, but It still was a negative
- Bad smells in the hallway and in the room. The room smelled of old hotel air freshener.
- The carpeting was dirty
- The crowds were rowdy, yelling all and screaming all hours of night
- Security - we checked out in the AM to find 5 Toms River Police vehicles parked in front of the hotel
- The shower drain was clogged

The Positive:
- Good location, easy on and off of the parkway and close to shopping and food
- Great price
- The bathroom and bed were clean

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jenny F, Manager at TR Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear JoeBolton,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Toms River. We apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, and we would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. During the summer months, early check-in is unlikely because of our high volume and most often being sold out. We also apologize that you experienced an odor. We have not received complains about an odor before, but this will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback and hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

Holiday Inn Toms River

Been to TR Hotel? Share your experiences!