“Shrimp and Walnuts the best!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 235 restaurants in Toms River
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: New restaurant where Ava's by the bay was.
Clarksburg, New Jersey
“Shrimp and Walnuts the best!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Four of us went to Xina for a birthday dinner. We ordered three different appys and two different entrees. The Hot and Sour Soup, the Spring Rolls and the Veggie Tempura were excellent! However, the best was yet to come. Three of us ordered the Walnut Shrimp as we had had a similar dish in a restaurant in Cherry Hill. This meal was significantly better by far then our other experience. The shrimp were large and plentiful and the candied walnuts and sauce made for a wonderful meal. The fourth meal was Peking Duck and again, the dish was prepared much to the delight of the diner. The winner by far, was the Walnut Shrimp. Giant shrimp and a great mix of flavors made this an outstanding dish. I can't wait to go back. Just to let you know, by 5:45 on a Thursday night(offseason) the restaurant was packed. Make a reservation so you won't be left out.

93% Recommend
Oakhurst, New Jersey
“What a happening place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Interesting combo of sushi, oyster bar, and Chinese bistro. Our party of 8 had a great time... Lot's of fun. Our table raved about the oysters, sushi, especially the tuna. I went Chinese for my.entree and had the mushu-- very good.

This is a BYOB, and is very busy. we didn't have dessert because we went big on appetizers. The only knock is the noise level due to tiled floor. But diners al around us were having a good time. Staff was friendly and service was good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Waretown, New Jersey
“A Diamond in the rough for Ocean County Diners.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ocean county, NJ is not known for it's restaurants. There are a few that people travel to just to sample the menu and this small Chinese Bistro and Oyster bar has that type of power.

Starters. MAKE A RESERVATION. They fill up quick. I have only walked in successfully for lunch. Weekends, especially in the summer should be two weeks in advanced at least. Also, it is BYOB. There is a sushi bar, but no cocktail bar. There is no corkage fee or drink fee.

The ingredients are fresh and the menu is simple with some classics and some inspired twists on classics. The pricing is on par with higher end restaurants in the area but the quality is top notch and I left happy to be paying the price for the meal I had just devoured.

The sushi is excellent. We have had sashimi and it was clean and bright with a fresh taste and also sampled some of the newer rolls such as the Painted Lady (Lobster, Mango, Asparagus) and the Coconut Shrimp Roll. They are delicious to say the least with clean flavors that allow you to taste each ingredient. They also have sushi appetizers which are plated simply with bright colors. We had the yellow-tail with jalapeno in Yuzu. Very bright almost citris soy with the soft yellowtail that balanced out the razor thin slices of jalapeno. The Treasure Island appetizer is beautiful. With green avocado, pink salmon, and red tuna you almost don't want to eat it. That would be bad! It is delicious and full flavored.

The oysters are fresh and cleaned. The gloss and textures are nice. I had the Kumamoto oysters, which are smaller sweet oysters from Washington. The sauce they give you is spicy but not really needed due to the quality of the oysters.

I highly recommend the Steamed Duck Buns for an appetizer. The light pillows of dough have the hearty rich duck center that makes you want to order a dozen. Must try!

My favorite main course is the Whole Fish Wok Fried. I had it with sea bass. It was incredibly delicious and cooked to perfection. You do need to be careful of the bones. It is a little messy for a nicer restaurant, but the presentation of having a whole fish placed in front of you (head and tail included) while diners around you salivate is worth the added work. It comes with vegetables and rice, which again was delicious but secondary to everything.

Have also had the Walnut Shrimp. The creamy white sauce is light, and paired with the Strawberries gives the Shrimp a fuller taste. The shrimp are huge and beautifully cooked. The walnuts add a great crunch and pair easily with the softness of the strawberries.

I thought service was top notch. The waiters and waitresses were extremely knowledgeable. Most knew ingredients and flavors spot on. Impressive for a younger group of workers.

Overall, spend the money. Try this place. I don't think you will be disappointed. Yes, it is small, and can be loud. And, I actually have been seated by the bathroom. The food is the star! Forget everything else and come out and enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NJ
“Best Restaurant-NOTHING compares”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I agree with the above poster 100%. FINALLY a restaurant that serves all types of Asian food that is just fantastic. I work in Manhattan and this restaurant would thrive there. This is very high praise as mediocrity does not survive in NYC as it does in NJ. This I just never understand.....from the oysters, to the amazing and creative sushi to the pad Thai, I can tell you it was a transcending experience. The freshness of the seafood was apparent. I've been here about 5 times and can't wait to go back. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the servers. Both very knowledgeable and courteous. I believe the fact that the owner is always there has a lot to do with it. I commend him on his restaurant every time. Lastly, do make reservations as the word is out on this place!

• Visited August 2013
NJ
“Finally!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

A restaurant that belongs on this beautiful Jersey Shore location. I have lived nearby for years and never understood why so many restaurants struggled and failed on this bay front location on the west side of the Seaside Bridge. What a hit with Xina! A 5 star rating in all categories BUT call ahead for reservations...you will need them. :)

• Visited August 2013